• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Closed Beta Wave 4 Start And Patch Notes

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Closed Beta Wave 4 is starting and invites will be going out shortly. The patch notes for the build are as follows:

New Major Graphics Feature
    • We have now moved the whole game over to DirectX 11. Players will now see some performance and visual improvements - more to come in the future. PLEASE NOTE: we are NOT supporting anything older than DX11 from this time, so all players will require a DX11-capable graphics card. We believe that this should only affect a very small percentage of potential players, with older graphics cards. However, this will allow for further graphical enhancements that we cannot support on older graphics cards.

Gameplay General
    • Default team colors have been updated to be more in-line with today's gaming standards. Friendly players will always appear blue while enemy players will always appear red
    • Added player stat tracking and levelling. Moreover, character customization options are now locked behind your player level. You will see level progress throughout BETA, starting with closed beta wave 4
    • Manual reloading is now on by default. Automatic reloading is now slightly slower (this mirrors manual/automatic bolting)
    • "T" (Tactical View) is now default as a toggle function, not a hold function
    • Added new camera animations for various actions in first person. New animations include; prone, climb, mantle and melee
    • Bandaging is now a "hold" system, not a press and wait
    • A new "main menu" video has been added
    • Pointman and Scout classes no longer have access to assault rifles
    • Players can now vote to kick other players out of roles on your team
    • Changed the slots of items on numbers 3 and 4 in the inventory. (There is no longer a "5" slot).
    • Spawn times have been standardized across all maps
    • A new visual effect has been added that shows progression when digging tunnels.
    • Ammo supply has seen improvements. The resupply system will now incrementally resupply players one magazine or throwable at a time (currently 1 per second). It will fill all magazines first, then move to throwables

Squads
    • Default squad colors have been updated to be more in-line with today's gaming. standards. Squad members will now appear green. The new changes are on by default. You can change the default color by using the console command setsquadcolourpreset 0/1/2/3.This will be added as an option in the game settings at a later date
    • Squads can no longer be locked until it has at least two players in it
    • New tooltips have been added for all buttons on the squad menu
    • The squad number has been added to the squad list, squad menu and scoreboard

Commanders
    • Commander Abilities can no longer be used in the first 2 minutes of a round
    • The US Commander can now spawn in an active Loach

Weapons
    • Tweaked SVD scope zoom
    • Slightly decreased RPG lethal radius
    • Improvements have been made to sniper scope effects and performance. More performance optimization still yet to come
    • Improved third person perspective animations for the RPG

Maps
    • Hill 937 makes its first BETA appearance. This is a new Territories map with the US leading a charge up a very tightly defended hill. This map also includes attack choppers
    • An Lao Valley returns with miscellaneous improvements to visuals and gameplay
    • Compound has received a massive visual update
    • Territories versions of Compound and Firebase have been tweaked and improved, based on internal and external feedback

UI
    • New tooltips have been added for all guns and gun variants explaining function and differences
    • New rank icons have been added for each player rank
    • New faction and team select icons have been added
    • Player names now fade as players get closer to respawning on the side of the UI
    Art
    • All guns in the "gun select" menu have received visual updates
    • When damaged, Helicopter models will now appropriately update visually
    • Added visual indication that Ho Chi Minh ability is active

Audio
    • New sounds have been added for helicopters
    • Added various new sounds for weapon handling
    • Updated sound/animation timing for weapon handling

Bug Fixes
    Gameplay
    • Pilots who land within enemy spawn protection can no longer fire their weapons
    Weapons
    • Fixed a bug with Slug damage at range 20m with the IZH shotgun
    • The green placement indicator will no longer permanently remain after placing a Punji trap
    Audio
    • Aircraft sounds no longer suddenly cut out when they leave the map

Known Issues
    Known Issues
    • Character customization screen on some maps will have some camera placement issues or issues viewing customization character
    • Helicopter engine sounds not always replicating when playing online
    • Highlighting on climbable objects appearing for American team even though they can only be used by the Vietnamese
    • First person camera clipping with aiming down sights and firing with the SKS
    • Bullet offset with RPD, bullets can hit behind the player
    • Muzzle flashes do not LOD
    • Hit impacts from helicopter and miniguns not displaying correctly online
    • Screen starts off dark when forced spawned by Commander
    • First person overheat effect on RPD can be offset from the barrel
    • Recon plane immediately de-spawning when colliding with objects, including the ground
    • Invisible first person arms when spawning while in the character customization menu
    • Small bald spots appear with certain hair customization, dependent on graphical settings
    • Reopening the role select screen when squad leader, will not see squad leader equipment listed
    • Character customization overlay conflicts with Skirmish lobby menu
    • Player not spawning when changing teams from certain roles
    • Hitch can occur when the game window is not targeted. Game in windowed mode but user is active in another window, like a web browser for example
    • When selecting a helicopter to spawn the text displayed will change
    • Possible crash when throwing grenade while sprinting
    • Performance hit when viewing through sniper scopes
    • First person camera clipping with body when in gunner position of Cobra
    • Player death screams continue to play while death animation has stopped
    • Stuttering during player movement, easier seen when spectating a player
    • VNSU-SongBe, transparency issue with dirt mesh in and around objective D
    • Crash helicopters will continue to play collision sound
    • Levels are not complete and will have minor aesthetic bugs (floating trees, lack of detail in interiors, etc)
    • Players may sometimes crash when disconnecting from the server.
    • Traps (Tripwires, Claymore, etc) and Tunnels that can be placed may sometimes fail after completing the placement animation.
    • Character and Announcer VO are placeholder and are used for testing.
    • Environment and weapon audio are still in development and will be changing throughout the beta.
    • All game sounds are a WIP.
    • Punji trap shovel lacks third person animation for melee attack
    • VNSU-AnLaoValley, issue with skybox mostly seen during death
    • Trees on helicopter training range will be removed when closer
    • Point lights will stop when the player is near
    • When spotting players the distance measurement is not seen with spotted icon
    • Tactical HUD not displaying the correct count for certain plantable explosive
    • Character customization changes made during a match may not be reflected with first person arms
    • Announcer may repeat lines
    • No bleed out messages when the player is out of bandages, player has a total of two bandages
    • Map on the escape menu may appear to be lighter than normal
    • Crashes can occur when using alt-tab
    • LOD issue with concrete pillbox
    • The green placement indicator will no longer permanently remain after placing a Punji trap. It will remain for some time, however.
    • Vietnamese radioman's radio will float off the player's back when moving around
    • Mosin sniper rifle scope can appear blurry with lower resolutions
    • Cannot activate cursor on map with "T" key. Affects Commander in loach accessing and using radio
    • When switching to certain weapons, the name displayed will be incorrect
    • Both teams icons will appear red on the match end report

Last edited:
    Reactions: SoFGR1 and smc
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    SergeantSalty;n2285968 said:
    Really hope this isn't the case.

This would be a questionable design decision for such a game. Peripheral is very important, especially in close quarters.

I forgot to add that there's one exception, you can zoom in the camera a bit if you're aiming down the sights of a deployed MG.

But overall, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Zooming in makes your peripheral vision worse, not better.

Personally, I'm glad they got rid of most of the zoom. It was way too easy to aim, and distances felt 2x shorter.

Upvote 0
    Mises;n2286028 said:
    It was also the case in RO2 and first RS. The only difference was the ability to zoom in the camera once again with the shift button.

Just watched some RO2 gameplay and you are right. I had it different in my memory.

So just to make my point clear, this is what I am promoting:
    No zoom in/FOV change, when aiming in.
    Manual FOV change is always possible.

Upvote 0
    Masked_Kano;n2286046 said:
    4 waves in and I still have no invite? Guess I didn't want to buy the game after all. Thanks for making it clear to me.
    Once upon a time games didn't even allow people to sign up for beta invites. We had to, you know, wait until the game officially released to play it.

Glad to see that some people seem so entitled to alphas, betas, and early access galore these days that people will refuse to buy a game at release if they aren't graced with a beta invite.

I have several hundreds of hours of play time in RO2 and RS(and played both since their own betas) and signed up for the RS2 beta the day they allowed sign ups and I have yet to get an invite. And yet, strangely unlike you and a few others I've seen complaining, I can get over it. At the very worst I'll play a more polished version of the game later this year when it's released, oh woe is me.

Upvote 0
    I dont undetstand your atitude. You dont get the beta key okay, its titaly fine, because when the game will come out , you will have more fresh feel of it full of atmosphere comparing to alpha and beta testers, who are willing to make game greater and doing a great job since wave one and who will suffer from lack of atmosphere because of testing taste in their mouth.
    So do us a favor and stop complaining, but instead wait for the game to be released without watching YT videos full of gameplay, which I would do on your place, as you will get more than finished product in the end. There are more than enough people to find every little bug.

Reactions: -Moody-
    Upvote 0