• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Initial feedback and thanks on Closed Beta Round 1

ohnein has already thrown out the quick thanks, but here's a bit more for you... We still had a good number of responses on the survey coming in Tuesday night. Total was pushing 650 by the middle of Wednesday, when we closed it off. A few more of you apparently went to the survey but decided there was too many questions - or came back later! Anyway - big thanks to everyone who played over the weekend, as well as for all the feedback. With Thanksgiving, we haven't had much time to process, but a few semi-random thoughts and stats for you (we'll do more detail next week):
  • Almost all of the survey submissions were from people who play/have played RO2/RS - which is a good thing and a bad thing. We did want responses from people newer to the franchise as well. But we'll bring more in when we've had time to react to some of the initial feedback!
  • About 35% had played under 20 hours of Vietnam, while 40% claim more than 100 hours - so a good broad range.
  • Understanding of Territories mode was high (4.4/5 which we'd hope) - Supremacy lower at 3.8, Skirmish at 3.6. We suspected we had some work to do there. The "fun factor" on those game modes went pretty much the same, which makes sense.
  • There's also a lot to do on messaging on things like "What is actually the difference between the various AK options?", "What is the difference on folding stocks?" and so on. Again, suspected - nice to have it clear.
  • Ability to hit targets, as well as survivability, weapon reload speeds were in the 70%-80% "good as is" bracket, which is nice. Some definite queries about actual damage getting done to enemies. There's a debate on "Are people missing and not realizing?" vs. "Not doing the damage we expect". We'll put in some debug tools and grind through this one - it really needs the debug tools so that we can see if the systems are actually doing what we think they are doing. Once we're sure of that, then we can work out what to tweak :)
  • Fairly universal view that some of the shotties are death-machines, so we'll take a look at that. They should be murderous up close, but not for sniping people with buckshot at 100m :)
  • There have been lots of suggestions/requests for other weapons/other variants - that will have to wait for updates in the future, otherwise we'll never gt this puppy finished. Just saying :) Keep the suggestions coming - but don't expect a surprise 40 extra weapons on launch!
  • RPGs - various bits of feedback. One key point - the rounds ARE actually traveling at a realistic velocity to the real world - launch at around 100 m/s, accelerate to closer to 300 m/s. Their use on maps with no helos and their effect against infantry we'll look at.
Beyond that point we get into a LOT of detail, that we're going to need to sift through properly early next week, before we can react to it sensibly!

And a note: me saying "we'll look at" some feature does NOT mean it will get changed - it means we'll take a look at the feedback, see if the system is working as designed - and delivering the desired end result(s). If we think it is, we'll tell you - and try and explain the whys and wherefores! If we think it needs chaning, we'll talk about that, too.

And yes, a lot of the sound is placeholder!

Reactions: -Moody- and SoFGR1
All I have to say is that splash damage with PG-7 heat rounds seems crazy. Far as I know they did not have frag rounds back then for the RPG-7. So it ends up like a funky offensive hand grenade with a plasma jet going out the front when it goes off. You would have to really close to be killed by this thing going off next to you. Unless in a confined space where the rocket hits something and cuts threw it with shaped charge effect. This would brake off bits of what ever material it passed threw and those end up like a frag grenade. Vary bad in armored vehicles, bunkers or like brick buildings. But in the open....kind of sucks firing Heat rounds at people and expecting piles of bodies. Also would be nice if thatched huts let the rocket threw unless hitting wooden support elements of structure. A bit of grass should not have an RPG round going off. But that is probably asking to much.

It would be nice if RPG's blast effects where modeled in game instead of simple X hit zone of death.

I think it awesome you guys got THAT many responses to survey. That it quite cool. So who is going to read 650 PLUS of them? Someone in the dog house?

Upvote 0
[TW said:
Wilsonam;n2279497]
  • Almost all of the survey submissions were from people who play/have played RO2/RS - which is a good thing and a bad thing. We did want responses from people newer to the franchise as well. But we'll bring more in when we've had time to react to some of the initial feedback!

• You need a strong advertising campaign Tripwire/AMG once the visuals and (horros of war audio) is finished--more than just a token pc gamer interview and background splash screen on one or two websites for that matter.

The game will shape up to be a fun solid experience from the looks of things, but it will need customer awareness if you want to import more than just R02's playerbase.

R02 had the title "PTSD simulator online" on several social media websites which gave it coverage. Hope you can run with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How is the hit registration when playing ? From the footage i've seen it's very inconsistent. Looks like many hits just don't register at all...
Emptying full mag from point blank and no hits :rolleyes: - and there's a lot of it to see in the footage on yt - is disappointing
for an fps of this caliber.

Also, can you tell me what the ''thump'' sound indicates when shooting at enemies, please ?
There's a strange delay to it, when players shoots at an enemy - like, the guy shoots full auto from point blank, but the ''thump'' sounds mostly come
with late shots - and i don't know if it indicates every hit (and is currently missing or a sign of bad hit registration) or is it a hint that the target is already dead ?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Btw I want to ask something the devs or mainly the guys who maintain the game's website. When I signed for the beta it said that I had too many sign up attempts in short period of time and I have to wait 5 min to try again even if it was my first attempt/click ever. Recently I tried again and I got the same message - too many attempts even so I never tried more than once (+ I clicked only once on the submit button). So I am worried that I am not even signed for the beta.

Upvote 0