• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Remove all forward spawning in territory gamemode

ihatemayo

Sep 16, 2011
Just something to maybe test, but maybe the devs could try removing both forward spawn tunnels for the NVA and forward SL spawn for the Americans in the territory gamemode maps.
-Cu Chi
-Hue City
-Hill 937

This system worked great in the original RO game as well as its mods. It made the fights feel more fluid, people who played RO1 or darkest hour might agree. It simulated waves of reinforcements attacking a capzone or rushing in to reinforce defenders.

Feel free to leave it in supremacy, as I am not a fan of this gamemode and find these maps boring as hell, but I feel scattered spawn points would work well with the scattered objectives.

Last edited:
I think some of you may have misread my post "but maybe the devs could try removing both forward spawn tunnels for the NVA and forward SL spawn for the Americans"

Forward spawn for BOTH teams, no tunnels, no SL spawn, just set spawn zones.
This was how the original RO was designed and it worked fantastic.
A mod called darkest hour for RO1 on SOME maps has MDV's or mobile deployment vehicles, which is sort of what the helicopters are used for. These MDV's (troop transports, halftracks) only exist on some of the larger maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder why these tunnels are even in the game, they once were already planned in RS1 during that beta as i can remember and it made the Japanese side have a incredible advantage over the US team, and now they are just put in RS2 even though they know it makes the game heavily unbalanced.

The tunnels should indeed be exclusively use for Supremacy mode as the Vietnamese need to spawn a long way from the objectives. Territory should have the old system of spawning on SL's on both sides.

Upvote 0
Tunnels are great. But how they are implemented right now...not so great. And much better suited to the attacking side. Everything is backwards just about now in regards to balance. I think mainly do to trying to simulate two rather even matched (on small arms) and trying to have even teams and forgetting that defense is a force multiplier. Add in spawning in two different ways and you have some pretty big balance issues.

Now as to how to address that? Many ways to go about it.

1. Make defenses SUCK on caps. Piss poor IMO. boring for attackers and just forces defenders to run around anywhere else but the cap.

2. Mess with spawn times.

3. Force defenders to spawn farther away from cap and limit routes back into cap. WAY WAY to many ways for dead defenders back into caps or onto flanks after getting dead. Hue A and B come to mind. Chu Chi A as well.

4. Attackers get more players. IE... that is why attacking forces in reality try and always have at least a 2 to 1 ratio in a local action when attacking stuff. If its a prepared defense it can go as high as 6 to 1. This is not gonna fly in game. Folks get this idea that everything has to be even teams. But that just does not work when you have actual defenses and strong points all that great. Now extra firepower like the choppers in theory could give a needed advantage but it usually does not work out quite that way. And has the reverse issue... Sucking up players into helos instead of attacking stuff. And i want to point out that more tickets for attackers is NOT equal to more guys with guns attacking a dug in enemy on the defense. When one guy with an AK in a good spot can waste 3 guys in as many seconds its probably better to have more guys attacking that dude. Attacks get wrecked over and over now do to the firepower of many of these weapons.

5. limit numbers of some types of guns. Like only let 1/4 of rifle dudes get AK's and the rest sks. Or if the US ever is the defender.... lots of M14's.

6. Never have caps other than 1, more like a king of the hill deal. Lots of ways that could work and more simulates a meeting engagement between 2 equal forces. No idea why you would fight to the death, but eh, whatever. Not exactly the RO formula either.

7. force defenders ONLY in cap and getting to cap. Now can be cut off getting there. Or make sure that there are good positions for attackers that address flankers. this is really missing. Often no good way to over watch flankers on the attack. You might get some element of map that is sort of neutral in terms of defenses. But do to the nature of attacking/defending points it ends up way better for the defender. If that makes sense. In front/side of Chu CHI C objective really illustrates this. Same for B on HUE.

8. Allowing defenders with spawn tunnels to place anywhere is UGH....not working so great and to dang close. So limit where they can be placed not simply based on distance but also where it does not give an incredible advantage to wreck the attackers by pretty much spawning in on flanks. But like I said before...this is vary good system for attackers if used against a prepared defense. So long as not to close.

9. spawn in waves. Timer is so short that is not really happening. But players don't like waiting. Hell I don't either even though it helps a ton in terms of game play. But by itself will not do much of anything. Needs this and that from above.

Probably other stuff too. In RS1 I think they bent a bit backwards do so much more firepower of small arms for US. but that is not the case here and got forgotten with modern death sticks.

And last thought. Mixing up the formula over different maps rather than just one way would be nice.

Upvote 0