• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Faster XP Progression/Lower Cosmetic LVL req.

AthenianHoplite

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2017
Hello all,

I have currently sunk 15 hours into this specific beta wave (spring break and not much to do) and I have reached level 15. My issue here is that I only have a measly amount of options for customization to choose from. While I understand the idea that as you play longer, you'll be able to look more rugged, this presents a problem to more casual players.

I have ranked up at around a rank an hour, but an important note is that I also have been MVP many of my matches (not all, but most I would say) and if I didn't MVP, I at least got 500+ points. Assuming points translates directly to XP, that means players have to perform VERY well in order to even have a chance at ranking up once in a match. And if they perform averagely, say, 200-400 points per match, it may take a lot more time for them to rank up than I have, which is kinda stupid if you think about it. Why have the option to customize if all the options are locked behind a HUGE time barrier?

My suggestion would be to maybe accelerate the XP process, so it would take maybe half as long as it currently does to rank up, OR lower the level requirements for many of the cosmetics, so that people might have a chance to be able to really try and make their guy stand out, while having the more "elite" cosmetics (tattoos, certain helmets, and certain face additions) locked behind what they currently are now, this way people can still immediately see that someone is high-rank while still having a plethora of options to choose from themselves.

Please no.
RO2/RS1 was known for its slow XP progression and most people loved it.
I want to have that XP Progression fun even after hundreds of hours into the game. I don't want to be at the maximum level and have unlocked all the stuff after like 100 hours. That'd be boring as hell.

By making it faster you will take the entire reason away that it does exist for... Who needs this system at all if it's something you just easily finish maxing out in a few hours?
It being slow gives long-time motivation to keep playing.

Reactions: Hsas4849
Upvote 0
The xp progression and level unlock requirements seem pretty perfect to me as of now. The standard customisations such as different helmets and sleeves are low enough to allow people to customise their character after a few hours and the top level stuff is locked behind high levels meaning you won't have everyone running around with the Kilgore hat.

Upvote 0
foln;n2289114 said:
Please no.
RO2/RS1 was known for its slow XP progression and most people loved it.
I want to have that XP Progression fun even after hundreds of hours into the game. I don't want to be at the maximum level and have unlocked all the stuff after like 100 hours. That'd be boring as hell.

By making it faster you will take the entire reason away that it does exist for... Who needs this system at all if it's something you just easily finish maxing out in a few hours?
It being slow gives long-time motivation to keep playing.

I personally disagree with the fact that people "loved" the slow progression of the game. I've sunk 500 hours into RO2/RS and I'm level 96 in one game and 70-something in the other, and while I like the fact that the cosmetic changes take place slowly as you level, I think the weapon leveling was painfully slow and left bot servers a far better option to get higher level equipment ranks for the weapons that were useless until you reached them (C96, Nagant Revolver, etc.)

All that being said, I think that Rising Storm 2's idea of the meme-tier customization pieces being unlocked for only the most dedicated players is a good thing. It's all visual and we all know that if the stetson and tattoos and torn clothing were available at level 5-10-15 then every swinging dick would be running around like they were in Platoon/Full Metal Jacket/Apocalypse Now.

The idea is that you look less like a fresh out of basic grunt the more you play, meaning that you made the modifications real soldiers do/exhibit the wear real soldiers do as time goes on. It only makes sense that these attributes should be left to the players who've been around the block a few times, right?

Upvote 0
FR4NCH3K;n2289357 said:
I personally disagree with the fact that people "loved" the slow progression of the game. I've sunk 500 hours into RO2/RS and I'm level 96 in one game and 70-something in the other, and while I like the fact that the cosmetic changes take place slowly as you level, I think the weapon leveling was painfully slow and left bot servers a far better option to get higher level equipment ranks for the weapons that were useless until you reached them (C96, Nagant Revolver, etc.)

All that being said, I think that Rising Storm 2's idea of the meme-tier customization pieces being unlocked for only the most dedicated players is a good thing. It's all visual and we all know that if the stetson and tattoos and torn clothing were available at level 5-10-15 then every swinging dick would be running around like they were in Platoon/Full Metal Jacket/Apocalypse Now.

The idea is that you look less like a fresh out of basic grunt the more you play, meaning that you made the modifications real soldiers do/exhibit the wear real soldiers do as time goes on. It only makes sense that these attributes should be left to the players who've been around the block a few times, right?
Well, it adds to long-time motivation, even if its about rather essential stuff like weapon leveling. But honor-level levelling and weapon-leveling could be put to different speeds so honor-level stays slow but weapon-level will be a bit faster.

Pretty much my only issue is: I love being able to have a visible ingame difference between someone who put 50 hours into the game, someone who put 500 hours into the game and someone who put 1000+ hours into the game. Not only between someone who put 10 hours into the game and someone who put 100 hours into the game...
And that's why the slow levelling was such a great thing in every RO/RS game so far and why I loved it so much. TRUE veterans who spent like 1000 hours into the game got rewarded for it. That's something you don't see in a lot of games these days. They have the maximum cap of archivements at like around 300 hours or something nowadays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also cant confirm that too much people loved progression in RO2/RS1. The first thing is that a lot of people ,(including myself) did not like that you actually got better weapons with higher levels. This felt unbalanced in general and especially with the large amount of grinding you had to do. In the end a lot of people just played on bot servers, just that they could be done with the grind.

I don't know why a lot of TWI games have a large amount of grind. The worst game in this regard was KF1, but it still feels like they don't really got the hang of it. Progression must be fun and responsive, otherwise it is just boring and annoying.

Upvote 0
foln;n2289448 said:
Well, it adds to long-time motivation, even if its about rather essential stuff like weapon leveling. But honor-level levelling and weapon-leveling could be put to different speeds so honor-level stays slow but weapon-level will be a bit faster.

Pretty much my only issue is: I love being able to have a visible ingame difference between someone who put 50 hours into the game, someone who put 500 hours into the game and someone who put 1000+ hours into the game. Not only between someone who put 10 hours into the game and someone who put 100 hours into the game...
And that's why the slow levelling was such a great thing in every RO/RS game so far and why I loved it so much. TRUE veterans who spent like 1000 hours into the game got rewarded for it. That's something you don't see in a lot of games these days. They have the maximum cap of archivements at like around 300 hours or something nowadays.

Like I said, I have no problem if it's with cosmetic items, my problem is when it came to guns because it's so easy to cheese kills with those guns in bot servers. There is no long term motivation for weapons when you can just blast away on a bot server.

Upvote 0