• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's planned to improve on the portrayal of dying?

-Moody-

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2014
www.youtube.com
With RO2/RS in comparison? Thre is a reason why a video with allied death sounds of RS gets more than 170k views. I hope RS2 will top this! But don't forget the Russian, German and Japanese sounds. It's amazing how the voice acting brings tears to my eyes within seconds. Doesn't matter my situation. I hope TWI/AMG will take the opportunity to portray the death as diverse, slow, fast, painful and emotional as in reality. Making an anti-war game just by making it authentic. There is no game I know of that does that like Rising Storm 2 would make. Such a sinister portrayal of war is a reason to purchase for many people.

Things that would improve the experience:
  • Increase the time when your camera is linked to your dying character (until you selected a new spawn point)
  • Increase the time of 3rd person death animations on the ground
  • Introduce the mercy shot (Killing a person lying on the ground)
  • Bringing back the stand-to-death animation
  • Introduce the sound cut-off (but without cut to black) on certain deaths
Is there something like this planned? Or will it stay like it is right now? What do you think of those suggestions?

Reactions: Saltyadata
A lot of the changes you mentioned were in the IOM mod for R02. It was a nice touch. I am glad they brought over the blackscreen effect from headshots.

To be honest, the majority of what they can do is in the voice acting itself, which we won't really get to hear until release. A lot of the audio for death sounds was broken in R02/RS2 and only now with the previous beta waves was I able to experience it.

[video=youtube_share;Q0CT-hi6wWA]https://youtu.be/Q0CT-hi6wWA?t=14s[/video]

Just simply porting over the old audio made RS2 BETA a very haunting game at times. Honestly if they just kept at it with the same stuff with more variety, and longer death moans, they'd be in good shape to create "PTSD simulator 2.0".

Where the biggest room for improvement is would be in the "shellshock" audio. Being scared under fire could be represented more. Characters could be yelling and screaming incoherently at times when the bullets start flying--simulated mental breakdowns.

giphy.gif

Reactions: -Moody-
Upvote 0
Finally! This thread wasn't available for a few days :)

Saltyadata;n2288817 said:
I love all the suggestions proposed in this thread. Would make the game far more immersive and unnerving.
Haha, yeah. Seems like everyone will agree on this.

Bane5;n2288671 said:
A lot of the changes you mentioned were in the IOM mod for R02. It was a nice touch. I am glad they brought over the blackscreen effect from headshots.
Yeah, that's why I've added them. Seems like it is very much doable and since dibbler67 is now a part of the team they might just add the code for this.

Where the biggest room for improvement is would be in the "shellshock" audio. .
It might be more of a hollywood-style effect and not really realistic but I found the Shellsshock-Effect in CoDUO quite cool.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2289939 said:
I dunno about more realistic.

I mean think about it. Staggering around hipfiring MG42 literally with 1 hand. Or working the bolt on a bolt action perfectly at a great pace.
I've seen many instances where people got shot and it seems like they don't even notice at first. Then they notice the wound and the blood, are getting slower in movement and perception. After that they either lay down or fall down.

Making hipfire the only option while this is happening is okay for a videogame. But it wouldn't hurt to add some inaccuracy.

Another topic: What about weapons you loose when you get shot into the hand? It also could be triggered when the player is in the stand-to-death animation.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2290013 said:
You can argue the current RS2 way is realistic using that exact same reasoning lol. Only you can move and aim until you pass out due to blood loss
True in a way. But you rarely die from blood loss. Either you get shot while bandging or you get shot without doing it. :p

The game assumes that you are able to bandage yourself everytime apart from the scenario where you have none.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nilsmoody;n2290015 said:
True in a way. But you rarely die from blood loss. Either you get shot while bandging or you get shot without doing it. :p

Everything being bandagable is an issue IMO (a soft one). Fast/slow bleeding seems meaningless. I've never had trouble bandaging any would so long as I'm not taken out by follow up shots.

IRC 'lethal wounds' weren't popular because people didn't like forced bleed out deaths.

I'd like to try out a form of lethal bleed outs where you get a notification that you are CRITICALLY WOUNDED. You can hold F for a few seconds to 'hold it together' and survive for another 10 seconds or so but ultimately you bleed out.

Reactions: -Moody-
Upvote 0
thefonztm;n2290615 said:
Everything being bandagable is an issue IMO (a soft one). Fast/slow bleeding seems meaningless. I've never had trouble bandaging any would so long as I'm not taken out by follow up shots.

IRC 'lethal wounds' weren't popular because people didn't like forced bleed out deaths.

I'd like to try out a form of lethal bleed outs where you get a notification that you are CRITICALLY WOUNDED. You can hold F for a few seconds to 'hold it together' and survive for another 10 seconds or so but ultimately you bleed out.

The difference between slow and fast bleeding is how much time you have to bandage. If you're getting taken out by follow up shots then that means you aren't doing a very good job of getting out of the way when you are bleeding. Hell if you are bleeding slowly you can do a hell of a lot before you need to bandage.

You're also far more likely to run out of bandages in RS2 than you are in RO2.

Upvote 0