• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ever considered making the map an object?

-Moody-

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2014
www.youtube.com
Like when pressing 'M' for the map will start a short first&third person animation where the soldier will bring up a map. It doesn't have to be the map which you actually look at and the normal overlay (we all know) will display when the animation is finished.

Players constantly looking at the maps while sprinting without any changes to the equipment in the hands bothers me in a way. This could take out some speed from the game and is more immersive. Especially if you see others (like the TL) while they use the map. Taking out the map is riskier because you take away your weapon and it needs a second before switching to it again.

Last edited:
NorthDumpling;n2286464 said:
Well there isno immersion of bringing up a map to your hand, as in real life there is no objectives, people just fight for a piece of land and in-game its just a simply respresentation of unit progression through the map.
Well, it would be another thing the soldiers could do in-game animation-wise because soldiers weren't just running and shooting. :p
Not to mention that they look at coordinates or something. I can find very simply excuses for that, especially on maps like Hue City.

Well, wouldnt it feel like the guy just stops and opens his tablet ?.
Why that? :eek:

There are even more things you can do. Instead of taking out a map he could use a compass instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the concept of a diegetic UI, as in a UI that exists within the actual game world(Dead Space being a popular example). And regardless of it having a bunch of UI dots and game info on it, yes, it would add to player immersion. However, the next question is how necessary is it and is it worth investing time and resources to make sure it works well and looks good. To both those I'd have to say no, I like the idea but I'd only really think it would be worthwhile if AMG and TWI had a AAA budget they could throw at the game.

Upvote 0
Jagdwyre;n2286470 said:
This is the concept of a diegetic UI, as in a UI that exists within the actual game world(Dead Space being a popular example). And regardless of it having a bunch of UI dots and game info on it, yes, it would add to player immersion. However, the next question is how necessary is it and is it worth investing time and resources to make sure it works well and looks good. To both those I'd have to say no, I like the idea but I'd only really think it would be worthwhile if AMG and TWI had a AAA budget they could throw at the game.

The wide implementation of this kind of an RPG stuff would be beneficial also for free look(head look). Make it at one turn and it is worth. Together with map(something in players hand) could be also implemented digging the ground(pickaxe/shovel), advanced melee attack or interacting with local people(villagers).

So I say yes for map. But if that was just too hard, I do say yes even for just longer showing-up time and being unable to move.
I do not care about objectives. It is matter of some custom maps.(I hope it will be easy for modders)

Upvote 0
Jagdwyre;n2286470 said:
It would be great if you would read my post before replying.

Upvote 0