• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are we going to see any time of day/weather variation ?

I'm not sure if that would be possible under UE 3, i mean global light transitions on the map. Anyway i cannot understand how with a Vietnam war theme all maps are just in daylight and they didn't come with something at night or under heavy rain (see Guadalcanal or Otori shima from RS). Just for the sake of variety and realism.

Upvote 0
TurboJoe;n2290111 said:
I'm not sure if that would be possible under UE 3
TWI did something similar on their map called "Black Forest" in KF2. The effects are subtile but the map is turning to night when you progress.

I wouldn't expect a full night-day cycle in RS2 but slight weather variations which transition randomized could be a thing if I'm not mistaken.

But I'd rather have AMG/TWI focus on different things honestly. The polish of game mechanics for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Polishing game mechanics is like 10% of a job on a game lol. You cant say that **** everytime you dont want something to be implemented. Raining seasons in Vietnam lasted for more than 4 months at BEST scenario, I'm not even counting "Operation Popeye" which took place exactly when the game period is set. I want the game to have at least one decent map with rain mechanics and next gen wetness.
As well as I'm bored of hearing an excuses of performance loose. Facial expressions maybe were too much for RO2 back in 2010-2011, but in 2017? Come on, lets be realistic about it.

Reactions: FR4NCH3K
Upvote 0
NorthDumpling;n2290134 said:
Polishing game mechanics is like 10% of a job on a game lol. You cant say that **** everytime you dont want something to be implemented. Raining seasons in Vietnam lasted for more than 4 months at BEST scenario, I'm not even counting "Operation Popeye" which took place exactly when the game period is set. I want the game to have at least one decent map with rain mechanics and next gen wetness.
As well as I'm bored of hearing an excuses of performance loose. Facial expressions maybe were too much for RO2 back in 2010-2011, but in 2017? Come on, lets be realistic about it.

I believe black forest uses dynamic lighting, which is fine if meets performance standards. I'd like to remind people the game is content complete at this time for release. Meaning no new maps before release, after release is another story, only time will tell. I did notice a "wetness" variable on the weapons and character models, I haven't looked in the code yet for any references, but looking at the MapInfo (there's no reference there, if was anywhere it be in there) I think it's something they added that could be expanded upon in the future. Like tanks in RS. Some stuff gets scrapped, other things are included later on. Sometimes that scrapped stuff is used or expanded upon by modders. ;) We don't have a monetary incentive, which means we are more likely to add "cooler" (aesthetically driven) additions to a game. AntiMatter Games and Tripwire Interactive have to look at it from a profit/effort perspective. Would character facial expressions be cool? Yes. Would they be worth the effort for a game like this? No. Not unless you had the extra resources for it. Adding facial expressions is a different concept than adding helicopters. Facial expression have no effect on the game (this isn't an RPG), they are purely aesthetically driven. Which means you need to get it right, or not do it at all. "Getting it right" means more resources and time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I have to say is this: the DayZ release game (not the mod) managed to make rain something that has almost no hit on performance as of a few updates ago. It looks good (as it is 3D not just a mask over the player's vision) and runs well on an engine that is older than dirt and should no longer be alive. If you're going to sit here and tell me the same isn't possible for Rising Storm 2 on the UE3 then I've got to tell you that I think you're full of ****.

Back to reality: the more realistic side, as stated, is the profit motive required to develop such a feature. Sure, it's realistic, but is it in the budget and if it isn't does it alter gameplay enough to be worth not creating other content?

Overall, I really, really want rain in game. I do believe it would change gameplay (seeing as how rainy season SEA is far different than most of the US and fully alters your ability to see any real distance) and it is realistic.

Upvote 0
Heroes of the west had a little bit of this.

On Oosterbeek a thunderstorm would start after objective D was taken.

Caen outskirts the sky slowly reddens over the course of the match. And has clouds that pass over casting shadows on the ground. The Sun however doesn't move. That would require the entire map to have dynamic shadows.

Both maps are extremely performance heavy.

Upvote 0