• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Helicopters too easy to take down?

hekuball

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Heli's seem too easy to take down, to me anyway. I know that there was a response from TW about how lightly armoured they are but there seems to be 2 basic damage modes at the moment - nothing or explode in flames. Just watched youtube vid of some guys insta fragging both attack and transport helis with rpg, it was instant takedown every hit. Now, I'm no heli pilot and I wouldnt want to be in one when an rpg round came my way, but can we have some more gradiated damage on this? Can a heli survive an rpg round just once?

btw, i've heard more complaints about the loudness of the helis that this, dont fix that, it's perfect! and very accurate too.

Reactions: LiamFVJ
FR4NCH3K;n2289638 said:
I'd like to see a larger damage gradient at work since it really is there, especially with how RPGs actually work, but the reality is that transport choppers are thin-skinned and realistically would be destroyed by an RPG in a single shot.

It would be nice if, let's say half the time, you could try to emergency land it after an RPG hit.

Upvote 0
A chopper is SO thin skinned an RPG can pass threw the thing without detonating. And even then, this is an anti tank weapon. How it works is not like hollywood. The heat warhead could go off and actually not damage the thing in any real way if it hit nothing important. On the other hand, its hits fuel its BAD. It hits engine...its BAD. It hits the drive shaft running to the tail rotor...BAD. It hits people...bad. For game reasons I think it fine it blows up all Hollywood style.

In fact they are stupid hard right now to down with regular small arms. More like near impossible. Guess how the 100's upon 100's of choppers got brought down? Hint...not with RPG's but regular old 7.62 bullets. Its tactics that keep choppers safe...more or less.

Upvote 0
Flashburn;n2289681 said:
A chopper is SO thin skinned an RPG can pass threw the thing without detonating. And even then, this is an anti tank weapon. How it works is not like hollywood. The heat warhead could go off and actually not damage the thing in any real way if it hit nothing important. On the other hand, its hits fuel its BAD. It hits engine...its BAD. It hits the drive shaft running to the tail rotor...BAD. It hits people...bad. For game reasons I think it fine it blows up all Hollywood style.

In fact they are stupid hard right now to down with regular small arms. More like near impossible. Guess how the 100's upon 100's of choppers got brought down? Hint...not with RPG's but regular old 7.62 bullets. Its tactics that keep choppers safe...more or less.

Depends where you hit.

1 M1911 billet will heavily damage the engine if you hit it. 2 m1911 bullets and it ain't taking off at all. This is point blank but still. If you rail into it with ground fire you are going to hurt it. 1 DSHK round through the engine always brings it down. You just have to hit it is all.

Upvote 0
Flashburn;n2289681 said:

That completely ignores the fact that RPGs don't only fire armor piercing rounds, but also high explosive rounds as well. There is currently no use for armor piercing rounds in game, but attacking helicopters, clearing rooms and attacking troops in the open are current uses for the HE rounds modeled.

Upvote 0
exhausted;n2289804 said:
That completely ignores the fact that RPGs don't only fire armor piercing rounds, but also high explosive rounds as well. There is currently no use for armor piercing rounds in game, but attacking helicopters, clearing rooms and attacking troops in the open are current uses for the HE rounds modeled.

They are HEAT rounds.

Upvote 0
Leopardi.;n2289666 said:
It would be nice if, let's say half the time, you could try to emergency land it after an RPG hit.

The problem with this is that HEAT RPGs shoot molten copper in a direct jet beam after a directional explosive is deployed. It is meant to defeat armor, but burns so hot that most things around the jet will likely be dead as well. The chances that it will hit nothing of importance in a chopper (be it wiring or a human being) is incredibly low. I think it's stupid that it just explodes, but at the same time if you lose control of the chopper due to RPG hit there will be no realistic scenario where you you land and survive on even a semi-regular basis. Now, I wouldn't be opposed to how it would work: you lose the majority of flight controls and basically just crash and burn rather than exploding mid-air.

If you need proof of reality, go ahead and look up Operation Gothic Serpent. RPGs might be anti-tank devices, but they'll definitely take down light-skinned helicopters just as well.

Upvote 0
exhausted;n2289804 said:

The 40mm frag round was not invented yet. That took till like the 1990's. And RPG-7 is a terribad anti personal weapon with any of the various cone shaped anti tank charges. There is no frag effect really. Ok, maybe some sheet metal. The wounding mechanic is only blast effect. And since its a shaped charge, most of that is forward. This thing is massively less effective as an anti personal weapon than a simple frag grenade or 40mm sort. That is not to say it does not have its uses and is certainly dangerous. When fired at something solid like a bunker the plasma jet will punch threw. When it does it brings bits of whatever it passed threw with it at vary high velocity.

But there is a lot of empty space on some models of various choppers out there. But an RPG-7 into the middle of something like an empty CH-47 and I don't think it would care all that much. But smaller stuff like UH-1, AH-1, Oh-6 there is simply a lot of important stuff in a small package. Is there even a case in Vietnam where any chopper was damaged or destroyed with an RPG-2 or 7? Personally I think this a case of Black hawk down in Nam mentality. Or Rambo 2 or something. Lighting up a UH-1 with an RPD at 200 meters seems like more than enough for destroyed, damaged, or lots of dead people on the thing to me.

Upvote 0