• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shooting into the ground and obstacles.

kuracino

Jul 27, 2015
Does this happen only to me? When lying on the ground, I clearly see the enemy through iron sights. Then I fire and hit the ground, or top of nearest obstacle 10 cm above, like invisible wall. Maybe I had a barrel underground. It's not like RO2: see – shoot – hit.

In the real world this is described as height over bore. As mentioned it's the understanding that your sights are usually a couple inches(depending on the gun and your sighting system) than the barrel over your gun. And yes, people accidentally shooting into the dirt instead of their target does happen to people in the real world when they forget to adjust for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although it might be realistic (or we might just be saying that to feel better about it), i think this is an area that does not need to be realistic. If you can see it, you should be able to shoot it. Otherwise it is just annoying/not fun.

Unlike in real life, it is basically impossible to tell if you are over the mound in front of you with your barrel in the game without firing and seeing what happens.

Upvote 0
trippedbywire;n2286422 said:
Although it might be realistic (or we might just be saying that to feel better about it), i think this is an area that does not need to be realistic. If you can see it, you should be able to shoot it. Otherwise it is just annoying/not fun.

Unlike in real life, it is basically impossible to tell if you are over the mound in front of you with your barrel in the game without firing and seeing what happens.
I actually think it's something that needs to be done in more military shooters, not necessarily because it's more realistic(though I completely approve of it being realistic) but also because I think a lot of us are sick of getting shot by enemy foreheads poking up out of cover.

And I think needing more awareness of the environment around your weapon is more interesting(read: more fun) so to each their own.

Upvote 0
trippedbywire;n2286503 said:
Perhaps a good middle ground would be to make the scope camera come out of the end of the barrel. So that if you can see it you can hit it, but your head and shoulders/barrel would be visible to the enemy.
Then you'd run into frustrating instances where in first person it looks like you're behind cover(say a rock or boulder) but to the enemy the top of your character's head would still be very exposed from a third person perspective.

The best middle ground imo is in fact the middle ground that happens to be the most realistic in this case.

If accidentally shooting cover is something you really can't stand(and don't want to adjust for in a shooter) you may want to focus more on guns like the M14 or SKS. The ironsights on those weapons are closer to the barrel than on the AK or M16, so it should be less of an issue with them.

Upvote 0