• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How many stripper clips does the M14 get?

exhausted

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2012
Just asked the veterans at M14forum about their kits in combat and this is what they said:

"5 mags and a couple of bandoleers.
Always topped off the mag in the rifle with strippers.
Only did mag changes on the range.
Same as training.
Keep your full mags as reserve."

How many strippers do we get in game?

Second issue:

it looks like we should be able to keep the bullet we lose by opening the loaded chamber in order to feed the stripper clip.

"You would open the chamber with the blade of your right hand, lock the bolt back with your thumb and the round from the chamber would go right into your palm. Just like inspection arms was done with an empty chamber. After doing inspection arms a gazillion times, it comes natural to do it with a loaded chamber too.
Then you would load the round from you right hand into the top of the mag and continue with strippers."

So, when available, it seems an advantage to having the M14 over the M16 is fuller mags and you don't lose any rounds by topping off with a stripper clip.

Last edited:
Well with the animation of the M14 he ain't catching the bullet that was in the chamber.

BF1 I was surprised animated this. For all weapons where opening the chamber ejects the round however. But nice touch nonetheless.

but I think that just raises the fact that it's "possible" to do that. Whether or not they frequently did in a combat situation is another matter entirely. Because you can do the same thing with a mosin as you can with an M14.

With the number of stripper clips. Probably works just like the SVT in RO2. In where you have say 10 magazines worth of ammunition. But when you reload with strippers one of the magazines suddenly becomes 5 rounds shorter and a stripper clip has been magincally formed from the other 5 rounds. Probably the same story with the M14. Just takes 5 rounds out of a magazine. The game does remember that magazine has less rounds though. And again similar to bolt actions when loading single rounds. Only its a little more plausible since you can break up strippers.

But it yeah just imagine your soldier equipped himself with just the right amount of stripper clips and magazines. Rather than the above behind the scenes explanation.

Upvote 0
Hi Lemonater!

thanks for the reply. I don't necessarily think we need the hand animation to show 'catching' the round, but the round should be counted as retained for later use.

Please check out this thread at M14forum.com. I'm talking to the jarheads there about their experiences. Grunts got 5 mags and 2 bandoleers, making 100 rounds in the magazines and 2 bandoleers of 50 rounds apiece. Support, such as artillerymen, who I acknowledge really aren't in game, got 2 magazines and 2 bandoleers for 40 rounds in the magazines and 100 rounds on strippers.

http://m14forum.com/your-war/276489-...ml#post2434794

Quoted from a grunt, "5 mags and a couple of bandoleers.
Always topped off the mag in the rifle with strippers.
Only did mag changes on the range.
Same as training.
Keep your full mags as reserve."

Quoted from an artilleryman, "Served with the Marine's 3rd 8" Howitzer Battery in Viet Nam from Feb '66 thru March '67. Each of us had two twenty round magazines; one we kept locked in the rifle and the other hung from the sling as can be seen in the first photo at this link: M14, 1966"

Check out the single magazine pouch for the backup mag on the sling (bottom center left):
Oct_66_18_adj.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0