• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would you like for this series to finally have realistically portrayed peep sights?

Would you like for this series to finally have realistically portrayed peep sights?

• Yes, I prefer that the sights of all weapons ingame are represented as realistically as possible

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No, this would make US weapons too powerful

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
Lemonater47;n2284284 said:
I've used peep sights before and they do not look like what you want them to be.

BS I don't believe you for a second, and neither does anyone else who operates these firearms. Sitting here with my AR-15 upper looking through the sights I can tell youre lying your pants off.

​​​​​​

Upvote 0
Unus Offa said:
BS I don't believe you for a second, and neither does anyone else who operates these firearms. Sitting here with my AR-15 upper looking through the sights I can tell youre lying your pants off.

​​​​​​

Your definition of realism is having the sights thinner than they are supposed to be.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2284641 said:
Your definition of realism is having the sights thinner than they are supposed to be.

No my goal is having sights looking exactly like they do in real life when you actually use them, period. Your goal however is obviously to prevent this for some obscure reason, your big problem however is that you have ZERO real life experience to base that opinion on and as a end up embarrasing yourself when you criticize those who have.

Reactions: The_Golden_Peanut
Upvote 0
Unus Offa said:
No my goal is having sights looking exactly like they do in real life when you actually use them, period. Your goal however is obviously to prevent this for some obscure reason, your big problem however is that you have ZERO real life experience to base that opinion on and as a end up embarrasing yourself when you criticize those who have.

You said you wanted it those old pictures. Of the early trailers. When those sights are too thin. Which would be, I don't know incorrect maybe? Becuase they would still be that thin even if you weren't aiming.

Also please stop saying I have zero real life experiance. You obviously aren't understanding what I'm saying, so are trying to assume things about me because of it.

Upvote 0
Unus Offa said:

Sorry, but in REAL LIFE, sight is not thin , so its much MORE realistic if the sight will be a pinhole, of course some more liberties can be taken to make it more thin to emulate eye vision, which is currently perfect in RS, but the problem is game does not have eye vision emulation while ADS and there wont be any justifiable excuses to make it how you want it, so please refrain from your crazy ideas about making actual sight more thin that it is in real life.

Upvote 0
NorthDumpling;n2284697 said:
Sorry, but in REAL LIFE, sight is not thin , so its much MORE realistic if the sight will be a pinhole, of course some more liberties can be taken to make it more thin to emulate eye vision, which is currently perfect in RS, but the problem is game does not have eye vision emulation while ADS and there wont be any justifiable excuses to make it how you want it, so please refrain from your crazy ideas about making actual sight more thin that it is in real life.

Who is it you're trying kid here, yourself? The sight in real life does NOT appear like it does in RS right now, in real life the sight appears thinner, that's the whole point of the thread. So no it most certainly will not be more realistic if the sight appears as a small pinhole when you look through it ingame, it would be the exact opposite of realistic. Now you can dance around this all you like, but that doesn't make it any less of a fact.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2284692 said:
You said you wanted it those old pictures. Of the early trailers. When those sights are too thin. Which would be, I don't know incorrect maybe? Becuase they would still be that thin even if you weren't aiming.

It would be correct when aiming as that's basically what it looks like when you look through it in real life. As for when not aiming, that's a very small aesthetic issue most people won't notice, one that definitely shouldn't take precedence over the functional realism of a proper sight picture.

Also please stop saying I have zero real life experiance. You obviously aren't understanding what I'm saying, so are trying to assume things about me because of it.

If you don't want people to call you out on your experience then don't say stuff such as "the sights don't look like that when you look through them" and then claim its based on experience, it just comes off as extremely ignorant/dishonest to someone who has an AR-15 upper less than 10 ft away from him, can pick it up and look through it in less than 10 sec and right away tell that you're BS'ing him.

Upvote 0
NorthDumpling;n2284706 said:
Well if the game does not have eye vision emulation, its not an excuse to make sight thinner for a weapon model.

?? That litterally makes no sense. There's a reason peep sights are purposely made thinner/wider in most video games, i.e. to simulate what your eye does in reality at the small aesthetic cost of the rear peep ring looking a little thin when not aiming down sights.

Now what do you think is the more important issue in a FPS, realistically portrayed sights when aiming or when not aiming? Guessing which one has the biggest effect on gameplay shouldn't be too hard.

Upvote 0
Unus Offa said:
It would be correct when aiming as that's basically what it looks like when you look through it in real life. As for when not aiming, that's a very small aesthetic issue most people won't notice, one that definitely shouldn't take precedence over the functional realism of a proper sight picture.

If you don't want people to call you out on your experience then don't say stuff such as "the sights don't look like that when you look through them" and then claim its based on experience, it just comes off as extremely ignorant/dishonest to someone who has an AR-15 upper less than 10 ft away from him, can pick it up and look through it in less than 10 sec and right away tell that you're BS'ing him.

See now you know where I'm coming from. And you too now know it's not realistic. It's just easier to look through because they altered the mesh to make it thinner.

In a video game you have 1 eye at all times with a wide FOV to simulate 2 eyes. When you aim you simply move the gun to the center of your screen. Still with a massive FOV. In RS2 it defaults to the lowest FOV possible as well you can move the slider quite a bit higher than you could in RO2. Not to mention you are focused on the entire view in front of you. Wheras when you are actually looking through a gun you try and focus on your target. Or at least the end of the sights. Rather than the foresight. So the ring would be out of focus.

The way it is now at least the gun is correct. Even if what you see through it isn't. Partially due to how crap it would look if they tried simulating you closing 1 eye to aim proper. I'd rather have the gun correct and incorrect aiming than both things incorrect.

Reactions: -Moody-
Upvote 0
*sigh* the sight looks exactly the same if you aim with both eyes open, which btw is the optimal way to take aim in real life - where btw you have a wider FOV than ingame.

Also youre wildly exaggerating how "bad" a thinner sight ring would look when not aiming, first of all it's an exceedingly small detail most wont notice, esp. since youre not supposed to be focusing on the weapon when not aiming anyway(!), and most importantly completely irrelevant in terms of gameplay. The sight picture on the other hand is extremely important gameplay wise.

In short your excuse for having an unrealistic sight picture holds absolutely no merit. tbh I am beginning to think you don't want realistic sight pictures for the sole reason that you don't want the US weapons to be as good as the Russian ones ingame, which is extremely childish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why exactly can't there be two separate meshes for weapons with aperture sights? Keep the rear sight model itself realistic while not aiming down the sights, then seamlessly transition to a second weapon model that opens up the rear sight and blurs the edges to emulate a more realistic sight picture.

Seems to me both points of view would be represented in such a case.

Upvote 0
Unus Offa said:
It's very telling that you take reality as an excuse. In short you and I are obviously looking for two diferent experiences, you want a CoD experience and I want a more realistic experience.

I wouldnt call a realistick thick sight a CoD expirience. And out of thin sight you got no realism at all, its more like you wanting a game to be CoD alike.

Upvote 0