• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would you like for this series to finally have realistically portrayed peep sights?

Would you like for this series to finally have realistically portrayed peep sights?

• Yes, I prefer that the sights of all weapons ingame are represented as realistically as possible

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No, this would make US weapons too powerful

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

Unus Offa Unus Nex

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
Poll question: Would you like for this series to finally have realistically portrayed peep sights?

If there's one thing I for a long time have regretted this series for not having it is realistically portrayed peep sights. Nothing seems to irritate me quite as much as having to run around with a weapon where much of my sight picture is obstructed to a degree never seen with the real weapon, and what I end up with as a result is a much less immersive experience where I can't effectively lead certain targets or even see them due to the sight - instead I have to rely on snap aiming.

For a game of this type I do actually expect that the weapons are represented as realistically as possible, as that to me is one of the major attractions of this series. Thus I really think that this inaccuracy needs to be addressed and that we for once should see this type of sight more faithfully represented, not just for the sake of authenticity itself but for improved immersion and a more enjoyable gameplay experience to boot.

As for what the sight picture of real peep sights looks like: Now ofcourse the first thing that would spring to mind is that one could take a picture through the sights of his/her rifle with ones phone camera and simply model the ingame sight view after that, but problem is (and undoubtedly all the people in here who own guns with such sights will know this) these pictures would almost always look nothing like what you're seeing when looking through said sights with your own eyes, and that due to how real eyes apply focus. Infact you'd need a highly adjustable camera lense to achieve the same effect.

When looking through the peep sights of my AR15 with my own eyes the peep hole appears wide and the ring extremely thin and semi transparent, whilst when taking a picture with most cameras the peep hole appears much narrower and the ring much thicker.

Now ofcourse pictures with such lenses do exist, and the below is a fairly good illustration of what looking through these sights with your own eyes would look like: (tiny aperture long range sight (L), large aperture close range sight (R)):
ocCGzZC.jpg

Comparing the above picture to the one below you should be able to see how the current (new) ingame iteration of this sight (as well as every other peep sight ingame) is very far from a faithful representation of what looking through the sight in real life actually looks like; Infact in the case of the ingame M16 the large short range aperture looks more like what looking through a real M16's small long range aperture looks like:
4FGdX6w.jpg

Now I do understand that graphics wise making stuff blurry and transparent might not be the most asthetic solution, but the sight can be made just as realistically usable by simply opening up the peep hole and thinning down the ring as that is what eye focus essentially does - infact as you'll note in the New vs Old picture above the the devs seemed to have done just that in the beginning of this game's development, and the result was a much better simulation of the visibility granted by the sights on the real life M16A1.

So finally I think we should voice our opinion on this so the devs know what to aim for, as well as present ideas as to what solution they should pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reihen
When your using peeps your eye is usually stuffed as close as you can get to the peep. Maybe 2 or 3 inches. Most FPS what to show some of the gun. Then of course, we have 2 eyes. In an FPS its like having 1 eye. No way around that one. But your field of view is less restricted real world. The blurring out rear peep if done well is realistic but most folks are not use to it. But field of view is always more restricted feeling in an FPS than real world. Its quite odd really.

I think you would pretty much need to blow up the sights and take more screen space if you really want more legit irons. But this even more restricts what you can see when there up. I have no idea what the best solution is.

Upvote 0
Yeah the main thing is we have two eyes realistically and in a video game you have 1 eye. So you're aiming, with both eyes open while you acquire the target. Once you have the target you close your left eye, make sure the target is in the ring and fire. Doing that means you probably hit the target.

Representing that that in a video game would be extremely difficult.

And yeah it also depends how close your eye is to the sights. With peep sights I always find I lean in more which gets rid of the sight ring a tad more.

Upvote 0
nilsmoody;n2280112 said:
The poll needs a third option: I don't care.

I've lived with the current system for years now and It never bothered me apart from small instances very rarely. I'd be happy if AMG/TWI would work on other things instead.

Well yeah. Since it pretty much doesn't change anything. Nobody blames the ring for missing somebody.

Reactions: NorthDumpling
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2280113 said:
Well yeah. Since it pretty much doesn't change anything. Nobody blames the ring for missing somebody.

Well, I've avoided the M1 Carbine in RS1 because of that. I don't know, maybe the weapon just sucks but it always seems like I don't hit something or I do not enough damage with it. On the other hand, I never bothered with even smaller sights of the Mosin-Nagant in CoD1.

Upvote 0
nilsmoody;n2280115 said:
Well, I've avoided the M1 Carbine in RS1 because of that. I don't know, maybe the weapon just sucks but it always seems like I don't hit something or I do not enough damage with it. On the other hand, I never bothered with even smaller sights of the Mosin-Nagant in CoD1.

Oh yeah the damage on the carbine is only 75. Compare that to the M1911 which is 65. With the M1 garand doing 115. People have 100 hitpoints. So the carbine takes 2 hits usually. Which makes it useless in a banzai and not great at a distance. Plus the dropoff is insane.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2280121 said:
Oh yeah the damage on the carbine is only 75. Compare that to the M1911 which is 65. With the M1 garand doing 115. People have 100 hitpoints. So the carbine takes 2 hits usually. Which makes it useless in a banzai and not great at a distance. Plus the dropoff is insane.
Thanks for the info, haha! Now I know why the weapon sucks in RS1. The sights aren't even the problem. I tried it way to often.. who is even using that thing?

Upvote 0
Yeah the carbine in HotW is actually far more useful. No changes to the weapon itself but differences in the Geography and the germans being different from the japanese. The germans jump out at you more relying on firepower to keep them alive. The carbine can do a quick double tap and can engage multiple targets. The shotgun can't do this and the thompson is severly lacking at range as the weapon has the worst accuracy in the game out of any weapon I think. Most inaccurate SMG anyway. Meaning the carbine against the germans have a place.

Against the japanese they will always win at long range with the most accurate weaponry in the game all with decent sights. And at close range they'll banzai you. Not to mention the japanese don't leap from their positions to try and take out many americans at once. They stick to cover far more.

Upvote 0
nilsmoody;n2280112 said:
The poll needs a third option: I don't care.

I've lived with the current system for years now and It never bothered me apart from small instances very rarely. I'd be happy if AMG/TWI would work on other things instead.

I don't understand this attitude, I mean this is a game which relies on you to aim down sights to effectively engage your target. Furthermore it's a series which supposedly strives for realism. Thus accurately portraying each weapon's sight picture is a very important detail if you ask me, ohterwise you're simply unrealistically handicapping certain weapons. That is pretty bad as, like I said, we will afterall be spending a lot of time looking down the sights.

Reactions: Patu.Kuovi
Upvote 0
@ 0:33 min

This is a great example of how the M16's sights are simply way too obstructive, the guy loses all sense of where his target is upon firing-

In practice the current ingame peep sights force you to constantly have the gun lowered a large amount in the direction you're anticipating the enemy to pop up, otherwise the chances of missing him in the blind spots of the thick sight are high. Long range deflection shooting is an even greater pain as the target again often disappears behind the thick aperture. By comparison the AK doesn't have this problem ingame, giving it an unnatural advantage in such scenarios.

The thinner more realistic peep sight iteration (with blur as well) on the M16 in the picture in my previous post above would completely alleviate this problem and make the M16 a more enjoyable weapon to wield ingame.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Golden_Peanut
Upvote 0