• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Error] Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error

Dieter98k

Mar 11, 2008
Hello all,

I've been getting this stupid runtime error everytime the game starts to load. Downloaded RO last night off Steam. I get the initial screen pop up, and then:

[img=http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1557/rofailon8.jpg]

I've deleted the system folder, validated the cache 20 times, uninstalled then reinstalled Steam and RO, deleted the clinetregistry.blob file, and updated my video and sound drivers...

I've lost most hope, help me please!

Did you try updating directx to the latest version often updating directx to the latest revision fixes quite some issues.

Ok depending on how fast your internet is did you try deleting all files (not trough steam i mean manually delete the files) and then re downloading.

If you move steam.dll from the steam folder into your ro system folder and then start ro does the game startup then or still not.

Beside that make sure that the folders are not write protected etc.

Upvote 0
Did you try updating directx to the latest version often updating directx to the latest revision fixes quite some issues.

Ok depending on how fast your internet is did you try deleting all files (not trough steam i mean manually delete the files) and then re downloading.

If you move steam.dll from the steam folder into your ro system folder and then start ro does the game startup then or still not.

Beside that make sure that the folders are not write protected etc.

Okay,

-Updated DirectX, same error appeared.
-Placed steam.dll file into system folder, launched application from folder, same error appeared.
-Manually deleted system folder, validated cache to redownload, same error appeared. Manually deleted RO folder (not common folder) and redownloaded, same error appeared...

Not sure how to check for write protection on folders, but every time I've validated cache I've used the link in the FAQ. Anything else? Thanks Zetsumei

Upvote 0
Ditto on the Runtime Error

Ditto on the Runtime Error

I came on today, updated to this new thing and I'm having the same symptoms.

I've verified the cache and rebooted. After the second notice of the Runtime Error, on the third startup try, I'm getting a message that indicates I need to expand my virtual memory. Done that, it's almost 3 times its old size now at 3069 mb, I keep getting the same error:

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3195 MHz with 2046MB RAM
Video: No Video

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMemCache::Init <- UEngine::Init <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

No gaming tonight it appears...

Slam a.k.a. Comrade_Canuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My comment was for slams post that should fix his issue.

El swine does any log file from red orchestra get created, because its really hard to guess where the issue lies with only a runtime error occuring. You could check anti virus and firewall software if they might not enable you to start up ro. All i can think of is some outside software interfering for now. Someone might know a way to get more info. I'm sorry :\

(in the worst case if you never got your game to run you can usually ask for a refund if you bought the game from steam although thats of course the complete end of the line)

Upvote 0
Update thing

Update thing

No I'm thinking this is definitely an update related thing with something the Swine (no offense) and I have done in common somehow. I appreciate the suggestions but this has been running fine (mostly) for over two years.

I have the no-caching tweaks in my .ini already. I will take a look at the Direct X and video drivers but I'm skeptical of those making a diff just now.

I wish they had left it alone for all the "benefits" I'm getting.

Dell XPS
3.2 ghz
2 gb ram
ATI 850xt

Upvote 0
I've been enjoying RO something like 5 times a week for more than a year.
The only thing I know changed in my system is RO. All other Steam apps are fine

Anyway, it can be many things. But my guess is that the steam update did it, or else it would probably had been just me complaining today.

So please Trip's look into it.. I can wait a day or two for a fix but not 3 ;)

Upvote 0
I am getting the same error on start up.

I have been playing fine since the update.

The error started after I went into my .ini file to set PreCaching to False.

After doing that I tried to start RO and the Runtime error popped up.

So, I went back and reset PreCaching back to True, but still no go.

:confused:

WindowsXP 32bit
AMD 6000+ X2
2G RAM
EVGA 8800 GTS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got it to start!

Got it to start!

I assumed the problem had something to do with my RedOrchestra.ini since the problem did not start till I made some adjustments to it.

I renamed my .ini file to RedOrchestra_bak.ini and then restarted RO and everything came up fine.

The only thing that I changed in my .ini file was CacheSizeMegs=512 and set UsePreCaching=False.

Something about those settings RO didn't like.

Upvote 0
Do you have the /3GB option set in your boot ini? If yes, take it out and try again.

Having 2 Gigs doesn't mean you can always use them the way you would like to. There is a guy called windows in your computer who does all kinds of funny things to your memory. You might see free memory, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can use it all for one game.

Upvote 0