• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Manage an RO Cache Folder

Mike_Nomad

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
Florida, USA
www.raidersmerciless.com
Know How to Manage Your RO Cache Folder

This is meant to be a help file for all RO users, players and admins alike. If you cannot find or do not care to use a cache folder management program, you can use this simple and easy guide to comfortably manage your cache folder. Especially since the RO system will automatically clear the cache folder periodically thus forcing you to download those files again.

Once you rename (Copy and Paste the name from the .ini file) and move the files to their respective folders in the root RO folder, you will not be forced to download them again.

This is an example of what you will see inside your cache folder:

Code:
[B][Folder Contents][/B]
2C7C965143048A6536A8C88EAEC1FA46-1.uxx
3FECFCA94922B116AD6975A46B5D4B10-1.uxx
63FC6F2E4896302E9E53C299DC8E27DA-1.uxx
C94E04C04E0E16C1E6321E9D33ED94AA-1.uxx
cache.ini
E0E3263941DBA66C131479A07C847E71-1.uxx
E2D61B8540437C5C02790085F264492C-1.uxx
That is exactly what you will find in the cache folder itself.

Now, let's look inside the cache.ini file:

Code:
[B][Cache.ini][/B]
C94E04C04E0E16C1E6321E9D33ED94AA-1=G_Heer1KolnoMod.u
63FC6F2E4896302E9E53C299DC8E27DA-1=G_Heer2KolnoMOd.u
2C7C965143048A6536A8C88EAEC1FA46-1=R_RKKASpring1KolnoMod.u
3FECFCA94922B116AD6975A46B5D4B10-1=ArmoredBeasts.u
E2D61B8540437C5C02790085F264492C-1=MutROTeamKill.u
E0E3263941DBA66C131479A07C847E71-1=WeaponSound716ID.u
OK, notice that each number file name has an understandable, readable name. All you need to do is rename (Copy and Paste from the .ini file) the numbered file in the cache folder with the name for the numbered file as indicated in the cache.ini file. Once this is accomplished, you can then place the renamed files in their proper folders in the root RO folder.

The files we are showing all go in the "system" folder. In many cases, you'll have a few other types of files including maps and texture files in the cache folder. Maps and texture files are usually the largest you will find. Again, the extenders will indicate the type of file you are dealing with. Of course, once a map or texture file is renamed it goes in either the "maps" or "textures" folder. Same as the other files belong in their respective folders in the root RO folder.

Remember, you may find files in the cache folder and cache.ini file that go in other folders in the root RO folder. Comparing the extender to those files already in the various destination folders can be a valuable guide.
.ukx = Animations
.rom = Maps
.uax = Sound
.usx = Static Mesh
.utx = Textures
.u = System
.ucl = System

Once you've renamed the files and copied them to the proper folders, its ok to delete the files in the cache folder, leaving the cache folder empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneShot
don't hve it at handy but googling should give it :) (although i still do my compressing uploading and ripping from cache all still by hand)

Google was a disappointment.... 2yr old hard coded programs out of date and tune.

Doing these things by hand is the best and most accurate way to go. It is not rocket science its only file manipulation. :)

Besides, you run the risk of file corruption from the auto-xfer of your maps by these manager programs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, the last time anything drastic that was done to UT2k4 was over 2 years ago... I use it and it works like a charm.

http://gms.cyberrock.net/DownloadCenter?UTCacheExtractor

this is the one to use...

Wow!! Downloads resumed 12/04/2006 what a coincidence.

Now, if only it worked.

Yes, it works.... NOT!! "No standard ut20003 - 2004 folder found" "No cache folder found" .... :eek:

Another "cache manager" that insists that your Steam and RO be installed on Drive C:

Wait, checked it out on our other installs, two of which ARE on drive C:, still a no go.

Seems the new file format throws this puppy a genuine curve. It STILL couldn't find its way around. Oh well. :cool:

I'll stick with the "tried and true" manual file management way of doing things. :)

Upvote 0
I remember setting the Cache not to clear(by setting days to 0) in UT. This was done by changing the setting in Advanced Options(don't recall exact name) which you accessed through the Console in game. Is this not available in RO?

I'll do the renaming bit, but it's a PITA to have to do it and would rather just disable cache clearing if I could.

You most certainly can..... the red orchestra.ini file has it in there. But please consider this, as custom files, muts and maps are updated to finals, etc.. it could pose a problem.

Renaming and clearing the cache folder regularly gives the user better control of his RO system. (I think it does anyway)

Upvote 0
THe posted cache manager works for me, and I have steam installed on my d drive. Hovewer it dumps map files in the root folder, but its easier to copy and paste them from here as opposed to renaming them. It wont find the UT installation, its not a regular UT installation. But it lets you manually specify the path, and it works well.

Upvote 0
THe posted cache manager works for me, and I have steam installed on my d drive. Hovewer it dumps map files in the root folder, but its easier to copy and paste them from here as opposed to renaming them. It wont find the UT installation, its not a regular UT installation. But it lets you manually specify the path, and it works well.
Yep and that makes it perfect for the new users to Red Orchestra. NOT. Besides, by your own admission, it has the errors indicated and still requires manual file manipulation. No advantage there.

it then gives you a menu box...navigate to your Steamapps/common/redorchestra folder...

it will give you another error message...ignore it. I do this all the time...and nothing, NOTHING has happened to damage my install.
Putz, you have maybe, a modicum of experience with file locations and RO naming conventions?? I can see new users trying to use this thing. Thanks, but NO Thanks!! The manual method is just as easy if not easier. At this point, I think its wise to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont know. I find it MUCH easier to
-cut paste the map files from the root directory to the map folder,

as opposed to:

-Open list file
-rename 23490dfgsdifjgw9e54u68yosd98yhgos8heyt.wathever to name in list file
-cut and past the renamed file.

I had like 16 files in there, I ended up just copy paste, and its all good. I would have gone crazy if I had
to rename them all manually. 20 seconds of work VS 2-3 minutes.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

I am having trouble getting the maps I pulled out of the cache to show up in RO. I used the UT Cache Extractor which placed all the files in the correct folders. .roms in maps, .u in system, etc. etc. Still, when I run RO and go to practice mode, the maps don't show up at all, just the stock maps are there. Any ideas why they aren't showing up or what I would need to do to get it to work?

I remember being able to go it back in the day, but that was a long time ago. I looked through the forums and it seemed pretty simple, pull the files out, give them the correct name/string and put 'em in the correct folders. However, it doesn't seem to work for me!

Thanks in advance,

~SD~

Upvote 0