• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Darkest Hour Dedicated Server Setup

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 Darkest Hour

Darkest Hour Dedicated Server Setup

!! Note !!

If you have your own server box or VDS then this procedure will be easy and fast since you have FULL ACCESS. If you rent a server then you will have to get the GSP to do this.

This procedure is geared to server admins who has their own server box or VDS.

Follow the below steps in order and to the letter or this will NOT work. Please read this from start to end. If you need to read it again to understand what is being said.

***** Part A - Using steamCMD to get the DH server file *****

Step 1. Log onto your server box or VDS via RDP

Step 2. Install steamCMD, grab it here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Step 3. Goto where steamCMD is installed and run steamCMD.exe by double clicking it. This will run the program and check for updates to it. Once it is finished type quit in the dos box and press the enter key. This will properly exit steamCMD and close the dos box.

Step 4. While you are in the steamCMD folder ( where you installed it ) create a .bat file. In the bat file put the following command line in it.

steamcmd.exe +login steamaccountusername steamaccountpassword +force_install_dir C:\GameServers\ro-dh-server +app_update 223240 validate +quit

***** NOTE *****

It is best to create a dummy steam account name and password. You do NOT need to use your REAL steam account to get "Server Files", anybody can get server files even if you don't own the game. A dummy steam account is great for server work and will leave your REAL steam account in your eyes only if you know what I mean.

In step 4 above in the steamCMD command line replace steamaccountusername and steamaccountpassword with your dummy steam account login info.

In step 4 above replace C:\GameServers\ro-dh-server with what ever you want or where you want the server files to go.

***** COMMENT *****

When the steamCMD is run it will install the server files into the location, as in my example C:\GameServers\ro-dh-server.

223240 is the DH server app steam id for use with steamCMD. DO NOT CHANGE THIS

Step 5. Once you are finished with the .bat file edit, save it and give it a name. I name ours for what they goto, example dh-server.bat Save this file in the same directory/folder where steamcmd.exe is located.

Step 6. Ok you should be set to run the dh server bat file. Double click the bat file you just created. A dos box will pop up and in its console window you will see all sorts of txt being put forth. You should see your steam login and if it is good you will see success. SteamCMD will then grab the DH server files and put them in the folder you specified in the steamCMD command line in step 4. Let steamCMD get all the files and when it is done it will quit and exit the program.

Step 7. Ok the DH server files where grabbed and installed in the location you specified. Goto the folder on where you installed the DH server. At the root folder of the DH server you will see a bunch of folders and one of them is named darkesthour. If you see this then you are at the root of the DH server. Right click on the folder named darkesthour and then select delete.

Yes I said delete it, it is broken and will not run.

Step 8. Once you are finished with deleting the darkesthour folder and while you are still at the root of the DH server, you will see a system folder. Double click on system folder. Once done look for a file named steam_appid.txt file. Open this file with NOTEPAD do NOT use wordpad. Once you have this file opened ensure that the number showing is 1280, not 1200. 1200 is for RO and 1280 is for DH. If you see 1210 or 1200 then replace it with 1280. Once done save this file and close it.

You are now done with steamCMD, removing the darkesthour folder and editing the steam_appid.txt file. Now onto the DH client files.

***** Part B - Using Darkesthour client files for server *****

The reason why we are going to use the DH client files is because the files grabbed by steamCMD is either corrupt, bad or whatever. It just doesn't work. Over at the old darkest hour forums a DH dev posted a procedure on how to get it working and we will have to use the client files for the DH dedicated server. You will not have to use the entire DH server files. You will ONLY need the darkesthour folder.

Step 1. On your computer that you play RO/DH on goto where you have steam installed.

EXAMPLE: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra

In the red orchestra folder you will see the darkesthour folder. This is the folder that you will have to copy to your DH server. Remember copy this folder to the ROOT of the Dh server folder.

Step 2. Copy the darkesthour folder to the root of your DH server folder.

Step 3. Once it is finished coping the darkesthour folder and all of its contents to the root of your DH server close out your FTP program.

You can do this the easy way by using your REAL steam account by installing steam on your server box or VDS. Then once you install darkesthour then you can copy the darkesthour folder to your dh server server folder. This is how I completed this on our VDS.

The ONLY folder you will need is named darkesthour, no other folders or files.

Once you have completed Part A and B you are now ready to get the server up and running.

***** Part C - Darkesthour server command line *****

The command line is used to BOOT the server and get it online. Here is the command line for Darkesthour

Step 1. Goto the root of your DH server folder. You should see a folder named darkesthour and system. Goto the system folder.

Step 2. In this folder ( system ) you will see a exe named ucc.exe. This is the server exe.

Step 3. Create a .bat file and put the following command line in it.

ucc.exe server DH-Brecourt?game=DH_Engine.DarkestHourGame?MinPlayers=0?MaxPlayers=32 -multihome=SERVERIP -port=7757 -mod=DarkestHour -ini=DarkestHour.ini -log=Serverlog.log -nohomedir

Replace SERVERIP with your IP.

Set MinPlayers=0?MaxPlayers=32 to your wants/needs. MinPlayers controls bots. MaxPlayers controls how many human player slots you want/have.

You can change the server boot map, ie, DH-Brecourt. Look in the darkesthour/maps folder for the map names. DO NOT INCLUDE the .rom extension, just the map name itself, ie, DH-Brecourt not DH-Brecourt.rom

Do not change the -mod setting, this tells the server to boot in darkesthour mod.

You can have as many INI files you want. Just setup your INI files to your needs for the different situations and give them a each a name. To use these INI files just replace the following

-ini=DarkestHour.ini

Replace DarkestHour.ini with your INI file.

Step 4. Once you are done with the server command line edit(s) save the server bat file. I have named ours dhserver-start.bat

Ok you should be all done with the DH server start bat file. Now to get the INI files built on FIRST RUN. Double click on the server start bat file you just created. Let it run, once it is fully booted close the dos box window to shut down the server.

Step 5. With your DH server shut down ( stopped ) you have now completed the first run. Goto your DH server folder then goto the darkesthour folder. In this folder you should see DarkestHour.ini if you used what I am using. Open this file with NOTEPAD not wordpad. Edit this file to your needs/wants.

In this file you will specify the admin password, server name, server name short name and all kinds of other variables. Also in this file is where you will enable vac secured mode and the DH webadmin interface.

This completes the Darkesthour dedicated server install.

***** Part D - Fixing the client steam_appid.txt file *****

The current number in the CLIENT RO game is incorrect. This procedure will fix it.

Step 1. Goto where you have steam installed then goto the red orchestra/system folder, example
E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System

Locate the steam_appid.txt file and open it with notepad NOT wordpad. You will see a 4 digit number, ensure it is set to 1200. Once done save this file and close the notepad box ( close ).

You are now done and ready to do battle.

==================​

Here is something I found at valves steam support site. It is a very handy way on finding out the PROPER steam_appid.txt file setting.

Retrieve the Application ID for a Steam Game

This process can also be used for Demos, Media, and other products on Steam:

1.Login to the Steam account
2.Go to your Library
3.Right click the installed game and choose "Create desktop shortcut"
4.Go to your Desktop and locate the new shortcut
5.Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties
6.Look at the target path for the number following steam://rungameid/. This number is the Application ID for the game.

Wizz

Last edited:
Hallo,

I am pleased to report that with your help the GSP was able to get my server working properly today and it can now be seen in the web browser.

Thank you very very much.

All the best Alan

Your welcome Alan, glad you are all sorted now and WoooHoooo

Last night I was checking out the ingame browser for DH and saw 2 more servers in it. One of them must have been yours.

Good deal and glad that your GSP worked on this and got you all hooked up. Good dealio

Wizz

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wizz,
I posted a question but it was in another forum; so, I'm not sure if it'll be noticed or not by you.
I've been trying to get our group's DH server back up and running but with no success. I've followed your instructions to the "T" - several times - can keep getting no further than "It is best to create a dummy steam account name and password. You do NOT need to use your REAL steam account to get "Server Files", anybody can get server files even if you don't own the game. A dummy steam account is great for server work and will leave your REAL steam account in your eyes only if you know what I mean." Have tried both dummy and "real" data with no success. Just a message stating the login failed.
ANY suggestions about what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Our clan is very interested in getting our own DH server back up and playing our favorite maps but no joy so far.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bubba(*K/T*)

Upvote 0
Wizz,
I posted a question but it was in another forum; so, I'm not sure if it'll be noticed or not by you.
I've been trying to get our group's DH server back up and running but with no success. I've followed your instructions to the "T" - several times - can keep getting no further than "It is best to create a dummy steam account name and password. You do NOT need to use your REAL steam account to get "Server Files", anybody can get server files even if you don't own the game. A dummy steam account is great for server work and will leave your REAL steam account in your eyes only if you know what I mean." Have tried both dummy and "real" data with no success. Just a message stating the login failed.
ANY suggestions about what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Our clan is very interested in getting our own DH server back up and playing our favorite maps but no joy so far.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bubba(*K/T*)
If you are using Wizard220's Steamcmd example do not use the "+" signs,use spaces

steamcmd.exe login steamaccountusername steamaccountpassword
force_install_dir C:\GameServers\ro-dh-server app_update 223240 validate

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Major Day,
Thank you for your response. I made the change and the file ran but now I'm receiving a "BugslayerUtil.dll not found" message. I noticed that others in the forum are requesting help for this error message as well.
Any suggestions for this? I can only find invitations from supposed dll recovery sites for this dll. However, I've learned never to patronize these sites as they are notorious for malware.
Thank you again.
Bubba(*K/T*)

Upvote 0

Its the same for both windows and linux

Wizz

Reading above in step 4, 223240 is the Red Orchestra appid to INSTALL for windows dedicated server. 223250 is the linux dedicated server id and I have this running now, but I see nothing in the install set that indicates and DH files. I even attemped to change the appid to 1280 but that tried to load arad.

I am on linux and I see no linux dedicated server listed for darkest hour. Has anyone installed Darkest Hour Dedicated on a linux server.

So it appears that when installing from steamclient you are installing the Red Orchestra Dedicated server file and just changin the steam_appid.txt to be darkest hour.

How do I get the rest of the files for darkest hour on a dedicated linux server?

Upvote 0
No sooner than I posted above....

The DH server says ONLINE (I use Daniel Gibbs roserver script), but it not longer appears as an advertised server under the internet tab.

The Red Orchestra instance shows up just fine, ports are open on firewall properly.

I came home shut it all down, set ports back to default and got it back online. I had it working with alternate ports last night and both instances advertised.

really could use help from someone who has done multiple instances on Linux before.

I read in killing floor forums there is a issue with multiple instances and changing ports.

Upvote 0