• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server What are the Best Current Server Specs for RO?

Alan123

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
steamcommunity.com
Hallo,

We have recently upgraded our clan server from an old dual core server to the latest 8 chip server. We run a Linux operating system.

We expected the game to fly even higher given that it was ok even before the change.

The real reason for the change was to have a clan server that could handle other games like ARMA2 etc.

Any way we made the change and have found that RO now runs much worse.

I have read through the forum and understand that RO was made for single and dual core servers and of course runs best on these due to the chip architecture and coding etc.

I would like to know:

What the best server specifications would now be for RO (we run mainly big tank maps with 50+ players). We are looking at changing back down to a single or dual core server that works best with RO and would like to know which server would be best.

(I ask this as most of the forum threads on this subject are now a few years old and there have been improvements since they were written)

AND

Is it possible with some sort of emulation software or chip management software to make RO run on a modern 8+ chip server as good as or better than on a single or dual core server. And if so what is it we need?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards

Alan

Hallo Major Day,

I have seen and read that post already and it is most helpful BUT was written in 2007, since then there have no doubt been changes and better chips and servers manufactured not to mention perhaps emulation software for multi-chip servers.

I know that you have a server that runs well what are its specs?

Another reason for our server upgrade is to get ready for RO2 but we still want to be able to offer RO1 as it is still the number 1 massively multiplayer tank sim on the planet, even after all these years.

Thanks again

Alan.

Upvote 0
I realise its out of date, but they would still do the job, since the game hasn't changed much since then,and they should be a lot cheaper now.
You never metioned HoS in your OP,or i would never have quoted those specs, you said that you were only looking for a single/dual core to run RO.
We don't really know what kind of specs will be needed to run HoS, and i'm no expert in that field anyway, but i think the minimum would be a quad core at least.
Why not wait til HoS is released and see if your existing server can handle it, the UE3 engine should run better on the multi core you already have.
The biggest problem i see with HoS as far as you are concerned is Linux, the server files might not be available from day1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hallo,

I expect the specifications for RO2 will be similar as for a game like ARMA2 and will require a good up to date server to run well, especially if it is going to have lots of tanks running on it as ours will.

Unless we can configure RO1 to run on a 4+ chip server smoothly we will probably have to run 2 servers: An older server for RO1 and a newer one for RO2.

You are right though the older servers are definitely reasonably priced so the cost is no problem.

If anyone knows of a method to get RO1 working better or as good as it does on an older server, on a new server please post here.

Thanks

Alan.

Upvote 0