Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Server browser borked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Server browser borked

Up until Tues. my server was always visible in the browser,nothing on the server was changed but now it no longer appears in the browser.
    Before Tuesday there were approx. 21 servers showing in the browser,but since then there have only been 13
    Both myself and my GSP have been struggling hard to try and fix the problem,checking and double checking ports,re-installing the server 3 times,changing ip address', moving the server to another machine,but nothing we do makes any difference the server just will not show in the browser.
    We believe it may have something to do with Gamespy shutting up shop.
    If this IS the case, will Tripwire be able to do something that can help us make our server visible again?

Ditto, I was online night of July 15. All servers disappeared, then half appeared and hour later.
    I looked in ~/Steam/logs/connection_log_7857.txt and see a bunch of these...

[2014-07-17 01:14:26] Log session started

[2014-07-17 01:14:26] [0,0] SetSteamID( [A:1:0:0] )
    [2014-07-17 01:14:26] [1,1] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelLow, 208.111.133.84:27017, TCP)

[2014-07-17 01:16:33] [1,1] ConnectFailed('No Connection') (208.111.133.84:27017, TCP)
    [2014-07-17 01:16:33] [0,0] StartAutoReconnect() will start in 3 seconds
    [2014-07-17 01:16:36] [1,3] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelMedium, 69.28.145.172:27018, TCP)

[2014-07-17 01:18:44] [1,3] ConnectFailed('No Connection') (69.28.145.172:27018, TCP)
    [2014-07-17 01:18:44] [0,0] StartAutoReconnect() will start in 7 seconds
    [2014-07-17 01:18:51] [1,6] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelMedium, 72.165.61.176:27018, UDP)

[2014-07-17 01:18:56] [1,6] ConnectFailed('Connection Failed') (72.165.61.176:27018, UDP)
    [2014-07-17 01:18:56] [0,0] StartAutoReconnect() will start in 2 seconds
    [2014-07-17 01:18:58] [1,9] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelMedium, 208.111.133.85:27018, TCP)

-----------------------
    I did a packet capture and only see my outgoing [SYN] packet, there is no [SYN,ACK] that should be coming back from their end. There is absolutely no server to server communication on any of these addresses. When I run a traceroute, from several different source networks, to several of the addresses listed in this log almost in every case the trace dies in a network belonging to Limelight Networks. I assume this is one of their large internet providers or hosting company.

Someone probably dorked up some routing at Limelight or else somebody forgot to pay a bill

Not sure who owns the servers to open a trouble ticket. I opened a ticket with Steam support and have had no response, but wonder if tripwire is really the ones we need to contact. Has anyone seen an official acknowlegement?

when I watch the inital login for my servers account on steam, that is successful. Only the traffic heading to the server that registers my servers updated information.

Comment

Major_Day, after reading your comments about Gamespy, I re-did a whois on the ips in my connectin log.

Limelight was updated as the org name on July 14 the day before all those addresses died. They own the net range for a while. I get the servers were shutdown and transferred back to them. How does gamespy get related to steam and valve.

Hope this gets straightened out with someone. I wonder what the other servers getting advertised are using to get advertised.
      Last edited by TheReplacement; 07-19-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

The same problem was affecting many Darkest Hour servers too. I only heard about the problem today, but it's been there since mid-week apparently.

I tried the usual stuff, then we contacted our server provider and they did something pretty quickly and it fixed the problem. Several other DH servers have obviously sorted things out too.

We use NFO Servers and have always been very impressed by them. Would recommend to anyone.

I don't know what they did but I've asked if they will share. If they do, I'll post it. I'm sure the cause will be the same as for you. Sorry I can't provide an answer - at least yet - but worth knowing it can and will be solved.

I don't think it's anything to do with GameSpy. Pretty sure that's just legacy stuff and only concerned with sending stats and such like, not the server browser.

Comment

Both Steam and TWI should have known the Gamespy was closing down and should have made other arrangements to make sure that all the game traffic being routed through Gamespy is re-routed elsewhere

Comment

I don't really think it has anything to do with GameSpy.

As far as I know, TWI hosts their own Master Server in house. The closing of Gamespy means that only their server list wont be distributed anymore and I'm not even sure that KF communicates with Gamespy anymore.

I've had a similar issue that flared up on Wednesday effecting all my Killing Floor servers in a similar way. For some reason none of them are reporting on the master server anymore, but I can still see them through the favorites tab and even GameTracker still tracks them.

Others have had a similar issue.
            [URL="steam://friends/add/76561198035683889"]Add me on Steam[/URL] > If I have time
            You can also join my TS3 server; 192.111.155.210
            [URL="http://www.skillzservers.com"] www.skillzservers.com[/URL]

Comment

I don't know if its anything to do with Gamespy or not,but RO servers certainly link to Gamespy;

From the .ini

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
              DoUplink=True
              UplinkToGamespy=True

[IpDrv.UdpGamespyQuery]
              MinNetVer=1087
              OldQueryPortNumber=7767
              bRestartServerOnPortSwap=True
              bDebugPortSwaps=True

And this from the server log:

Log: Resolved master0.gamespy.com (69.10.30.248)
              ScriptLog: UdpGameSpyUplink: Master Server is master0.gamespy.com:27900
              ScriptLog: UdpGameSpyUplink: Port 7768 successfully bound.
              Last edited by Major_Day; 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt (UK) View Post
                The same problem was affecting many Darkest Hour servers too. I only heard about the problem today, but it's been there since mid-week apparently.

I tried the usual stuff, then we contacted our server provider and they did something pretty quickly and it fixed the problem. Several other DH servers have obviously sorted things out too.

We use NFO Servers and have always been very impressed by them. Would recommend to anyone.

I don't know what they did but I've asked if they will share. If they do, I'll post it. I'm sure the cause will be the same as for you. Sorry I can't provide an answer - at least yet - but worth knowing it can and will be solved.

I don't think it's anything to do with GameSpy. Pretty sure that's just legacy stuff and only concerned with sending stats and such like, not the server browser.
                Thanks Matt, if you can provide a fix that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Day View Post
                  I don't know if its anything to do with Gamespy or not,but RO servers certainly link to Gamespy;

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
                  DoUplink=True
                  UplinkToGamespy=True

[IpDrv.UdpGamespyQuery]
                  MinNetVer=1087
                  OldQueryPortNumber=7767
                  bRestartServerOnPortSwap=True
                  bDebugPortSwaps=True
                  I never said they don't link to Gamespy. Gamespy is a separate master server from the one hosted by TWI. Most Unreal Engine games communicate with more than one master server for redundancy purposes. In this case, the closing of Gamespy will mean that not only will the client not be able to pull the list from Gamespy's master server, but servers will not be able to send a beacon to them either. There are servers in the server browser so surely they are somehow communicating with the TWI master server.

From what I discovered with that setting recently is that if you disable that it disables sending a "gamespy" query which doesn't necessarily go to Gamespy. That's just the gamespy query protocol which doesn't need gamespy to utilize.

I set it to disabled (false) and GameTracker was no longer capable of tracking the server. I set it back to enable and gametracker picked the server back up. This is because it's just a protocol that allows communicating with the server through a "query" port.

I highly doubt that, that is the setting for sending information to the Gamespy query. Even if it is, then disabling it shouldn't matter. The other part "DoUplink" is what sends a beacon to the master server.
                  [URL="steam://friends/add/76561198035683889"]Add me on Steam[/URL] > If I have time

Comment

I added another wee bit to that quote while you were typing....lol it just seemed a bit of a coincidence that Gamespy went down at the same time as half the servers disappeared from the browser.
                    Last edited by Major_Day; 07-19-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I see it. That just means the domain is resolving to an IP which doesn't necessarily mean a master server is running on the other end, nor does it mean it's running correctly.

Although if that's the only master server in the log then it might point us in the right direction. My log shows tripewireinteractive.com being resolved as well.

You and your edits. Le sigh.

Pretty sure gamespy went down months ago.

Comment

Yes the Tripwire entry is there as well

Comment

Matt what exactly did you report to your provider? Route wise I am reaching out across the web route wise. There are a large number of various ip addrs listed in my logs to different subnets owned by limelight. I trace and try to connect from 3 different places as well.

I would love to know what those servers that are still being advertise have in common.

Funny that the Linux steam client is logging this traffic. Makes me think steam can control this.

Comment

Read the comment at the bottom:

http://www.jasonslater.com/2009/01/2...-from-llnwnet/

Comment

NFO Servers replied to say the fix involved copying these files from an up-to-date Steam client install:
                              • steam.dll
                              • steamclient.dll
                              • tier0_s.dll
                              • vstlib_s.dll
                              On the server these files are in the RedOrchestra/System folder (probably not called that on a server, but you know the one I mean).

This worked for our DH server and I think it will be the fix for RO servers too. This will be the first thing I'll try if (when !) this problem happens again. Hope it works for you - good luck. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X