• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam Distribution For Red Orchestra

Felix Ostheim said:
A store release would be great, just to see it on the shelves! However the publishing costs are probably something Tripwire can't afford yet even with the contest winnings. I've never had a problem with Steam myself :rolleyes:
I hope it DOES show up on shelves, I prefer to make all my game purchases in person. I want a cd(I doubt Tripwire would put it on DVD, but maybe, since they're pretty cheap now). Still hate Steam, and cant wait for them to be able to get away from it. When I get ROO in my hands, Ill unblock Steam and verify, really want to see how it plays.

Upvote 0
Donut said:
I hope it DOES show up on shelves, I prefer to make all my game purchases in person. I want a cd(I doubt Tripwire would put it on DVD, but maybe, since they're pretty cheap now). Still hate Steam, and cant wait for them to be able to get away from it. When I get ROO in my hands, Ill unblock Steam and verify, really want to see how it plays.

AFAIK DVDs are only marginally more expensive in manufacturing than CDs. The main fact we still see mutliple CD releases instead of DVDs is that in America DVD drives are not widely spread. In europe, on the other hand, you won't get a new PC without a DVD drive for about 4 years... so I guess we have about 90% DVD coverage. Still, as I assume most CDs/DVDs are manufactured at the same facilities for US/EU markets, it is cheaper to produce only CDs than to do half of it CD for the american market and half DVD for us euros...

Upvote 0
I am totally new to this steam business & didnt have time to read through all this thread so forgive if this has allready been addressed but it appears you have to download a downloader? or something , & do I have to pay to subscribe to Steam before I can buy anything ? I dont undertand how it works ,...If I want to purchase a game online , then why do I need to download anything other than the game I wish to purchase ?I am quite leery about installing things that running in background taking up resources & spying on me , please explain ,I have purchased software online before , usually just enter cc # & dl thats it , so I dont understand paying for or downloading anything other than what I intend to purchase,.....

Upvote 0
Sleby said:
Steam is a free download. You only pay when you buy games through steam. Then you can download them for free for the rest of your life.
dont quite understand what ur trying to get at with the last bit

steam does more than let u buy games, when a game you have purchased is updated with new content or patched steam will automatically update the game on your machine so u dont have to hunt down or download any patches. You will have to be loged into steam to play the games u have bought through it, steam will give has a server browser of all available servers for that game and any others u own, it also has a friends system (well they will when they get the damn thing to work).

Upvote 0