• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design MN Gazala Line (Preview)

=GG= Mr Moe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Well, I have been working on a map, rather large combined arms map that focuses on Rommels attempt to break the Gazala Line and take Tobruk.

Basically, the Germans are attacking and trying to secure a suitable road for supply trucks. The road eventually passes thru a ridgeline (the main British defense) where the Germans must secure the pass, and a higher dominating ridgeline, secure a small village and a supply dump on the opposite side. It will be combined arms (although I may make a tank only version later) approximately 1900 x 3300 meters in size. I hope to include the Italians infantry and armor, as well.

This is semi-historical map, roughly based on some of the battles. I have all I can do to find time to make this map and learn the tools, so this is my interpretation of the one of the battles. It is not an official MN release.

This is my very first attempt at an RO map, and I am still getting used to the tools. These are some early screenshots, and there is no timetable for completion (when its done, its done).

Don't laugh too hard...

-----------------------------------

Shot00114-1.jpg

Shot00117.jpg

Shot00118-1.jpg

Shot00123.jpg

Shot00124.jpg

Shot00125.jpg

Shot00128.jpg

Shot00130.jpg

Shot00132.jpg

Shot00134.jpg

Drecks why dont you also do a map for MN?
With few available at the present time, any maps get plenty of playtime. Plus its a big change of enviroment from your previous stuff.

It would be a nice change in enviroment but I'm to busy getting to understand 3D modelling software and UT3 editor. Two ot three months for a new RO map would break my learning curve to much.

Upvote 0
Looks great Mr. Moe. I love the PzKw II and -- looks like a Valentine. Great desert camo on the carrier & Matilda! Any Honey tanks?

Speaking of Gazala, I don't suppose anyone is working on Grant Tanks for the British? These could also be used in RO as lend-lease tanks. Or is the combo of a sponson mounted 75mm and turret mounted 37mm too difficult to deal with from a programing perspective?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So your end fog setting would need to be about 105,000 unreal units. Pretty buku! Is the overall Gazala map size along the lines of ALte Ziegelei, Debrecen, Maslova, etc?

I think Alte Ziegelei is set to about 90,000 (~1.7kM) and I think Debrecen is about the same(?). As I recall I set Maslova to about 85,000 ~1.6Km. All three maps are pretty taxing for some folks systems and can lag a lot on some servers -- depending upon player counts. At least that's been my casual observations for big tank maps.

Upvote 0
Very nice Mr Moe, as an Aussie whos followed Western Desert Combat closely most of my life, this open-ness has the right feel.
Rommel saw the featureless terrain as similar to open sea, so his units travelled and fought as one fighting ship, led from the front.
when however they met physical barriers tactics changed :)

I might ad that both sides made excellent use of ANY feature in terrain, a clump of scrub would have a hollow scraped out and could hide a couple of men, who often wouldnt move all day, and would only leave at night.
Ill hunt around to see if i have any pics of Gazala Line that may be of use.

Great work takes time,

Oh and lots of dust when things move. thats essential in MN

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Which map does have the longest range view distances? Krivoi? tia!

Did a little poking around in the editor yesterday. End fog for the following is set at:

KrivoiRog = 199608 UUs
Alte Ziegelei = 88000 UUs
Maslova = 80000 UUs
Debrecen = 70704 UUs

I don't think there is much in the way of BSP work on KrivoiRog, and I think the number of static meshes is kept to a minimum. But from what I have seen it seems to hold the record on possible visibility ~4Km.

I played around quite a bit with larger settings for end fog on Maslova, but was seeing big penalties in map performance for anything over about 85000 to 90000 UUs.

The terrain on the real Gazala battlefield was pretty stark. Moe's screen shots indicate his map will also represent a fairly stark desert environment. A little bit of scrub brush, some rocks, and minimal BSP work should be condusive to large values for the end fog setting. Should be interesting to see what he finally comes up with for sight distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did a little poking around in the editor yesterday. End fog for the following is set at:

KrivoiRog = 199608 UUs
Alte Ziegelei = 88000 UUs
Maslova = 80000 UUs
Debrecen = 70704 UUs

I don't think there is much in the way of BSP work on KrivoiRog, and I think the number of static meshes is kept to a minimum. But from what I have seen it seems to hold the record on possible visibility ~4Km.

I played around quite a bit with larger settings for end fog on Maslova, but was seeing big penalties in map performance for anything over about 85000 to 90000 UUs.

KrivoiRog = 199608 UUs<<<<< Is that correct? Over twice the size of alte? wow.
I don't realy understand what a UUs is, but having played all these maps so often the #rs explain to me my own adjustments in playing style for each map. (among other factors of course)

thx jeff!

Upvote 0