• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation A little something I've been working on

m8 are you interested in helping us in the DH mod? we already have a KT but it's not quite done. otherwise there are plenty of vehicles that we want to add to our game
I certainly wouldn't mind it, though I'm horrible with deadlines - this thing's been in the works for about 9 months, I only work on it 'when I feel like it'. It's the first thing I've modelled that isn't a gun, though, so I suppose I can only get better - if you guys have some vehicles or weapons that need doing I'll see if I can crack something up.

Upvote 0
I'm a bit of a perfectionist with detail, and given RO doesn't seem to support normal mapping I figured I'd put it into the model; however obviously this thing has as many tris as 5 standard tanks so some compromise will have to be made. I'm probably going to fix the driver wheels and end the detailing there, as well as redo the side skirts with less polies. I might keep a no-holds-barred high-poly, perhaps use it to bake normals for Source or something, but as far as the RO version goes I was actually thinking that part of the solution might be to look towards the balance side of things - perhaps a map with a few of these, and few or no other tanks for the Germans, to prevent those of us with ancient rigs getting bogged down in on-screen tris. I'll probably do some pretty vicious reduction with LODs, too.

Speaking of balance, I'd noticed it's a rather large and touchy issue wherever the KT is mentioned; on one end of things, the majority of the Russian tankers think it unfair (though some are raring to take it on in T-34/76s, very ballsy of them :p), while the German tankers feel they got gypped with the Tiger and that if anything, the IS-2 is the one in need of nerfing. I belong to the latter group, but that said I'm happy to play either side, because I adore the T-34, Panther, and KT alike. So, I've been working out some possible ways of balancing it while working on the model, and thankfully none of them involve nerfing:

• As mentioned above, keep numbers low and perhaps even throw a lot of Russian tanks at the 2-4 KTs, most of the German team playing infantry support
  • Actually add spots for the full crew, so that team tanking is necessary for it to be most effective
  • Random mechanical failures (wooo yeah let's put the power train of a Panther into a tank way over its mass)
Obviously given the level of cooperation (or lack thereof) between a lot of public server players the second point might not work out quite as planned, but then again it may even encourage them to start team tanking. I've decided for sure, though, that I don't want to nerf the tank itself in any regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks great m8, very nice
I like modelers who take great care with details especially with the tanks!
oh btw what modeling program are you using??

rossmum said:
Speaking of balance, I'd noticed it's a rather large and touchy issue wherever the KT is mentioned; on one end of things, the majority of the Russian tankers think it unfair (though some are raring to take it on in T-34/76s, very ballsy of them :p), while the German tankers feel they got gypped with the Tiger and that if anything, the IS-2 is the one in need of nerfing. I belong to the latter group, but that said I'm happy to play either side, because I adore the T-34, Panther, and KT alike. So, I've been working out some possible ways of balancing it while working on the model, and thankfully none of them involve nerfing

Yes well said, I have always been a supporter of balance through maps (and restrictions of the "cat tanks") not through code. Its true there are a lot of neighsayers when it comes to the Tiger II, partly I think its a balance question and partly I think they do not want to face it in combat which is silly since the sides of the vehicle is still 80mm thick-:D but there are alot more who want it in it was definetly needed in the ost-front it played a pretty important role in the later engagements and will make a great add to the game!

If Im not mistaken this is model number #3 of the King Tiger that has been made for RO-:confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kt

Kt

Very Nice A_se on your KiTty

As a noob on mayaPLE who couldnt make a number plate, i admire the work you have put in...(as with this entire community actually)

Look forward to putting a PF into this pussy... ahem :)

I think about single player tanks a lot and reckon the answer lies in delaying the time it takes to switch locations. when its all said and done its quicker to jump from seat to seat or out and back in to any tank than it is to open the top hatch. therein lies my issue (gripe).

But Awesome work nonetheless

Upvote 0
Slight update - the hull MG bulge and loader's periscope were off, so I fixed them up a bit. Also fixed towing hooks and rounded out the mantlet. Still got driver wheels, skirts, and detailing to do; engine deck might need some work too.

kingtiger.jpg

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think you're right - will fix that. Also redid the main gun mantlet as it was a bit off and added in the little guard that covers the co-ax between the front plate of the turret and the mantlet, and I might end up adding in the guard over the gunsight hole as well. Will re-render it and post once that's fixed and I've redone the driver wheels.

Upvote 0