• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics RO:Tactics - Strategic team planning tool (download)

vr6r

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2006
***NEW version: 2.1.1*** (requires install if you currently have v 1.0.x)
***see bottom of this post for latest version notes and download links***

ROTactics is a tool for visually planning & coordinating strategies. Particularly useful for teams or clans who want to get the most out of their game - although individuals can use it to plan their own strategies and to help learn/study maps.

current version (2.1.1)
screen_2.1.1_1.jpg

(full-size pic here)

old version (1.0.4)
screen1_old.jpg

This is a multi-user tool which basically gives you a virtual drawing board, allowing you to draw directly onto the in-game maps and plan strategies for your team.

Please feel free to download and pass it around to friends/clanmates who might find it useful.

This is a work in progress, and is largely a one-man project, so please let me know if you have any trouble or find any bugs and I'll do my best to resolve the issue as time permits. Please send any bugs, feedback or any other comments or suggestions you might have to:
[email protected]

Or, visit the <RTR> clan website and check out/post in the forums there:
http://www.RightToRebel.net

I will be updating and adding features (and of course fixing things) and will post here with that info as it comes up.

ENJOY! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port Forwarding:
you may need to configure your router/firewall port forwarding in order for users to connect to your hosted sessions.
Forward TCP port 49300, and also whatever port you choose to host on as you initiate the session (default is 49278)

*Edit: Quick Start guide now available Here!
(this is for version 1.0.4, but many of the instructions still apply. A new guide will be posted as soon as I have time to make one)

***UPDATES***
_______
*v2.1.1*
BIG UPDATE HERE - REQUIRES SEPARATE INSTALL FROM PREVIOUS (1.0.X) VERSIONS

***Design Changes/Updates***
+Replaced standard game maps with actual in-game top-down screenshots for increased detail & reference
+Rearranged window UI to increase usable space & minimize clutter
+rearrange host/join/username for easier navigation ('back' button, etc)
-removed chat feature - may add back depending on community feedback
+divide update tool from main program - now in separate .exe's. Launcher/App
+Increased default map size
+Added option to set individual background colors for each user, to aid in 'squad planning'
+Added ability to click&drag users to arrange them in desired order in user list (ie: 'red squad' grouped together etc.)
+Added host ability to assign weapon class icons to connected users
+Added ability to drag and drop weapon class icons directly onto map
+add blank 'map' for whiteboard drawing
+Added map LyesKrovy
+Added custom maps Orel & Black Day July_B1
-remove higher zoom options (leave 1x, 2x)
+Added buttons to manually add users - for use as placeholders when doing strats solo, or with less than a full squad online
+add option to change all user list text color color at once
+add option to change text color for for individual usernames to allow better contrast on custom background colors
+allow loading/saving custom maps (single-user only) [NOTE: after loading custom map, erasing does not remove lines that were previously saved]
+re-added port selection to host options
+changed default port to fit within IANA standards regarding non-registered dynamic/private ports

***Bug Fixes***
-Fixed maximize 'run-time error 384' some users were experiencing
-Fixed: packet handling to prevent some crashes between versions
-Fixed: Launcher.exe not updating correctly
-Fixed: when user disconnects, host user list goes blank.
-prevent client-side artifacting while drawing with 2+ people in session
-Fixed: bug preventing user from seeing drawings if they had previously been host, but then connected as client
without restarting ROTactics.
-Fixed: runtime error occurring when host sets weapon class or changes user colors while someone is drawing
-Fixed: bug causing users to hang if they were connecting while someone was drawing on the map
-Restructured connection method to increase stability & prevent run-time errors during drawing and host operations
-several minor tweaks to improve gui interaction
-Tweaked joining process to give users more control - ie: ability to disconnect and try again if join process has hung
-Fixed: bug when trying to load map that is not present
-update connected user(s) with icon selections
-update connected user(s) with custom colors

_______
*v1.0.4*
+Fixed host/client 'Clear button' netcode bug.
_______
*v1.0.3*
+Added IP address feature (drop-down box) to assist hosts in retrieving their external IP.
_______
*v1.0.2*
+Fixed bug allowing multiple users to draw simultaneously. Only 1 person allowed to draw at a time now.
_______
*v1.0.1*
+Fixed minimize crash bug

Last edited:
nice piece of work that. But I allready found something to complain about:):

If you load up a map on your own (one that doesnt come with the tool), the rubber will erase the new map and you will see the map below it......

further it would be nice to be able to load for example jpg-pics with it, there smaller and easier to handle imo.....

But thx for that great tool, looking forward to use it. Well done :cool:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I'm workin on the minimize prob. now.

[5thW]Rehakles[TRO], you are right about the pictures - jpg's are much smaller and would reduce the footprint quite a bit, but VB (6) doesn't handle jpg's very well, and only supports saving to a bmp format. The program was only really built to handle the included maps, or maps saved from within the program - but I will be looking into increasing the functionality of the picture handling. Thanks for the input!:)

Upvote 0