• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Is it me or does the Panzer 3 kick commie-butt

Smokedawg

Aug 9, 2006
First of all, its the least used tank. On a tank map, everyone heads to either the tiger or panther, then get pissed off cause some noob who cant shoot takes it. They always fall back on the P4.
Why not take that lonely PIII sitting by itself. Its almost always available. It shoots almost 3 times as fast as any other tank. But the best thing is that it has APCR ammo. You know when it hits with that solid gong noise everytime, any tanker insta-cr4ps his pants.
On a tank map, i sit a little ways behind a main group of germans that are engaging the enemy. The thing is lucky to survive a hit at close or far range so why tempt fate. Find your range with regular ammo and then switch to APCR ammo and you got yourself a decent sniper. From a distance, it doesnt look like a free kill cause you cant really see what it is, unlike a stug (except that its shooting like crazy).

First of all, its the least used tank.

Well, it is a bit of a death trap in game due to its low health and armor values which is why people tend to avoid the "grey tanks". Technically the model in game is late Panzer III Ausf "L" which realistically had 70mm frontal armor (50 + 20 mm) but in game it has a low armor value of 30 mm frontally (only few 1941 and pre '41 Pz III variants had 30mm frontal armor. The Pz III L in game is a late 1942 tank post standardized uparmoring at the end of '41 staring with the Panzer III Ausf J) unfortunately it does not take/deflect rounds and a light vehicle such as the T 60 can even cause it trouble. Even the rear armor (supposed to be 50mm it is 20mm in game) is less than what this variant should have its a known issue.

As for the main weapon it was realistically speaking comparable in penetration performance to the Soviet 76.2mm F-34 although the 50mm L/60 was much more accurate. In game when it doesnt deflect it works ok... sometimes but its a bit on the weak side the APCS take about 2 50mm 's to die especially the BA-64 (clown car).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First of all, its the least used tank. On a tank map, everyone heads to either the tiger or panther, then get pissed off cause some noob who cant shoot takes it. They always fall back on the P4.
Why not take that lonely PIII sitting by itself. Its almost always available. It shoots almost 3 times as fast as any other tank. But the best thing is that it has APCR ammo. You know when it hits with that solid gong noise everytime, any tanker insta-cr4ps his pants.
On a tank map, i sit a little ways behind a main group of germans that are engaging the enemy. The thing is lucky to survive a hit at close or far range so why tempt fate. Find your range with regular ammo and then switch to APCR ammo and you got yourself a decent sniper. From a distance, it doesnt look like a free kill cause you cant really see what it is, unlike a stug (except that its shooting like crazy).

Totally agree. After reading this thread yesterday, today I decided to try out the P3. Needless to say, I seemed to be doing better than I usually do. (Granted, that could be because I was playing with people who know how to angle and use cover).

The APCR rounds seemed to penetrate better and do more damage, and I was blown away by the reload time. It actually seems like it's quicker than the Stug and the Russian equivalent. It's also nimble for a German tank. Sure, the armor is a bit on the weak side, but the maneuverability, quick reload times and the accurate, long range gun coupled with APCR rounds make the P3 a killer in RO.

Upvote 0
correct smokedawg.
my favourite ger tank by a country mile- the little grey nutter is an awesome bit of kit - APCR at that rof is always gonna be a handfull.
Everytime it gets mentioned as a lesser tank on these forums i tend to jump to it's defense.
Can't wait for many other varients of piii to be modelled for Mare nostrum in the hopefully not too distant future.

Upvote 0