• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Shooting a player while he's running.

fanjeera

Jul 10, 2007
I consider myself as a fairly acceptable player, but one thing i don't get is, shooting someone while he's running. I just don't get it. I've tried aiming the gun in front of the guy but i almost always miss, and i've tried following the guy with my sight, but again i miss. Could someone give any tips or help in any way? All help will be appreciated.

There are multiple problems

First is server tickrate

Because a server got a tickrate that means the server only updates X times per second. Default tickrate is 20 which is a tad low and because of that if you shoot sometimes you simply miss even though you hit because the server only checks things 20 times per second. So for hitting persons a high tickrate can be nice although the problem with higher tickrates is that bullets start dissapearing without you seeing any packetloss on the meter.

Second issue is your computers speed and performance, it might sound weird but when i reinstall windows etc on my computer i can usually hit straight on the enemy target or at most have to aim like 20cm ahead of him at long distances. When my computer starts clogging up i often have to aim ahead up to half a meter on enemies standing 3 meters away from me.

(make sure you don't prerender too many frames, for ati cards set flip queue size to the lowest possible number that doesn't crash. With nvidia its called prerender frames ahead i think)

Ping is of great importance to amount you have to aim ahead too.

The most important thing to do when trying to get yourself good at shooting running distances is just play on a public server and solely focus on improving that aspect rather than just playing find some spot where people will end up running and just remember how far you aim ahead till you nail it while knowing your ping. After lots of hours you get a hang of it.

Sadly you need to keep playing in publics doing stuff like this or play lots of matches or you'll get rusty fairly quick with hitting moving targets, especially since it depends a lot on your pc state.

Upvote 0
For a non-hardware related tip, try this:

1.) Aim at your target, keeping the sights DIRECTLY on him.
2.) Fire.
3.) Note how far behind him you see the round land.
3.) Reload, then aim in front of him a similar distance.
4.) Fire again, if you miss, note the distance difference, adjust, repeat.

Once you get good you shouldn't use this method, but it helps give you a feel for how far you have to lead your target.

Upvote 0
It's about leadtime and server familiarity, play on the same server for a few hours and lead your target.....you'll soon discover that you are getting better.

Rest your rifle to prevent sway , or go crouched if there is no resting place available.

Each server varies in its perception of bullet hit as previously pointed out, oh and aim for centre body mass......more area to connect with.

Upvote 0
do most of you fellows track in front of the target or move the rifle (assuming we're talking about the weapon requiring the most skill) to a place in front of the target and fire just before they get there. I focus on a point, and when i feel the target is close enough to cross paths i fire, usually with good effect :D

Upvote 0
do most of you fellows track in front of the target or move the rifle (assuming we're talking about the weapon requiring the most skill) to a place in front of the target and fire just before they get there. I focus on a point, and when i feel the target is close enough to cross paths i fire, usually with good effect :D

Usually focus on a point, and I will add a bit of distance if my ping is higher than other players :)

Upvote 0
Or when you on other side of the globe (Australia) from popular servers etc like me.

Grab a Semi Auto as mentioned above find a quiet spot lie and wait, and pop off two or three spaced and aimed rounds at a time, Cross fingers and hope you hit..:)

After a while you can better estimate the lag/lead/speed equation on a per server basis.

Then go for the true skill weapon of rifle

Personally with rifle and high pings i lead a lot and track ahead of them AND watch them running slightly longer than usual, before firing

On local servers i can barely hit anything im so used to leading.. on USofA servers
Enjoy

Upvote 0