• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics STUG III Tactics

It and the su76 are great team tanker vehicles. Might be boring for the driver but a good driver can help. Stug is the best hull down vehicle on the map. Let your driver take you close to the crest then he can pop out and spot targets with his binoculars. As soon as a good target opportunity comes up he pops back and puts you in position.

He can pop out again while you are firing and spot for flankers. He need to mind any infantry or tank mg but at long range you are ususally safe.

Upvote 0
In the attack;

I follow the Tigers and Panthers letting them lead by a good 200 meters. Once enemy tanks engage the big guys they can't afford to reposition so you can use them to fix enemy tanks in place allowing you to flank. When you flank do so from the forward side of the enemy vehicle, not the rear side, it takes less time to get there and you are less likely to run into additional enemy tanks behind your target. Sometimes it's best to position for a head on shot on T-34s cause you can sometimes get the kill in faster.

In defense;

Also if you have good comms with a friendly tank on high ground let him be your spotter and get him to talk you into a kill angle so you can run through low areas unseen.

Large relatively flat areas are ideal if you can find a hide spot. Any decent low spot where you can stay hiddden and let enemies pass by allowing you to stalk them from the rear. Tree lines arn't bad but blind spots work both ways and enemy tanks can drive right up on top of you so open flat areas are better.

Don't get in a hurry attacking, make the most of your surprise attacks.

If you have a good spot, and do damage on the first shot but not a kill and the enemy doesn't see you you can stay to reload for a second shot but if the enemy is a js2 or your shot bounced it is sometimes best to back up into your hide, reload, dismount and check your target and when he is not looking pull back up to hit him again. If you do this right he will never know where you're hide is located.

Find more then one good hide position in an area, reposition when needed but don't if you think the enemy didn't see you.

If you are going to team hunt with another STUG then keep yourselves seperated by a good 300 meters so the enemy must expose a bad angle to one of you.

Upvote 0
this thread was quite dead but oh well

I really love the stug, and would rather use it than the PzIII or sometimes PzIV. On blackdayjuly I employ it everywhere, close range and not. When approaching a t34/76 I keep the tank in the far left hand side of my view port, just so that I can see him, when he fires and bounces due to the angle, I start counting, turn left and fire, then turn right again to resume the angle. After 15 seconds and he has reloaded and fired again (you can usually get more than one shot off in a single turn, just stay away to the passing seconds), then I repeat.

Upvote 0
I just played the Debreceen tank only map.

First time and I choose a StuG III/G over anything else. I drove around and a hidden T-34 hit my side. Luckly I was still alive, although red and burning engine (but still mobile).

A Panzer IV got that T-34 and now I had a great time with my Stug. I killed 6 T-34 on 800-1100m in a row, just by the great rate of fire and the fact, that I had the first one or two salvos because they didn`t spotted my (even with a burning engine). I even began to run out of AP ammo. StuGs are great. :D

Upvote 0
imo, the stug never had a coaxial mg. A newer version of the Stug ( made by shurek ) had the "gun shield" on top, without the mg in place , but they seem to have worked that out in the new DH release...:D

The "hetzer" had a remote controlled mg on top...360 degree imo, but the main problem was that, for realoding it, someone had to open a hatch...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
imo, the stug never had a coaxial mg.
Look at the mantlet in the upper right corner:

53104802.jpg

stugp_2.jpg
The "hetzer" had a remote controlled mg on top...360 degree imo, but the main problem was that, for realoding it, someone had to open a hatch
So did the Stug III:
achtungpanzer said:
During the production, modifications were made to the Stug III Ausf G.........and roof mounted remote controlled MG (Rundum Feuer) in late spring of 1944....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Blacklable said:
newer version of the Stug ( made by shurek ) had the "gun shield" on top
Its actually a midwar production Stug III G around the time of the Kursk offensive (Summer 1943). Captain O made the model and the skin m8.

Blacklable said:
imo, the stug never had a coaxial mg... The "hetzer" had a remote controlled mg on top...360 degree imo

It did receive a coaxial mg:

Stug changes said:
In February 1944, a Saukopf (sow’s head) gun mantlet was introduced on the type, followed shortly by a coaxial machine gun. Over the next few months, the Ausf. G also gained a Nahverteidigungswaffe (Close Combat Defense Weapon) system and a remotely controlled machine gun on the superstructure roof.

The Late Stug III G also had the remote-controlled Mg as well as the "Hetzer". You can see the Remote-controlled Mg here in this colorized video: 0:17 has a good view of the Remote-controlled Mg and coaxial mg below the bolt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4yBvt8YcvM

Speaking about late war Stugs here are some Late model Stug III G's below:
stug4072gp_1.jpg

http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/screenshotsfh2/080611StuG40.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0