• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Lets share our favorite MG places!

Kneecap

Jul 4, 2007
Its sometimes difficult to set up an mg where you can dish out as much damage as possible without getting killed TOO soon. I Love to play as the mg class whenever i get the chance, and i have done alot of searching on different maps, to find out the best spots.

Here is a spot from DANZIG if you play as axis, and the russians have taken the two bridges:
Shot00002.jpg

If you place the mg right, you can cover the entrance from the cellar, from outside, AND from the bedroom up stairs. With some quick reflexes and team-mates that give you ammo, you can, in theory hold this spot forever.

Only downside is, that you cant actively prevent capturing of the objective.
But you can prevent the russian team from holing up inside the command center, so your team mates only have to search the radio room upstairs and the bar and cellar downstairs if the objective gets captured.

Ill post some more MG places as i get some screenshots of my spots!
Please add some pictures of your own if you got any!

When an MGer camps the top of the Command Center stairs, I usually assault the east side of the building (behind him) and huck a nade through the open window of the empty room next to him. Clears anyone at the top of the stairs without exposing you to any of his fire. But you do have to get up there.

==========

Here's an easy obvious one that everyone needs to know about (so we can make it hurt so bad we stop playing the map so much).

On Kaukasus, as Russian MG set up to cover the Back Route Path up to the Shepherd's House. You can set up in the Courtyard back away from the edge, so you're not exposed to enemy fire at all but have a great LOS on the paths on both sides of the Shepherd's House. If they get through the hailstorm on the way up, you can still catch them on the way down to the Tower.

Upvote 0
On TulaOutskirts machinegunning for the russians is typically asking for a sniper bullet. One place I found was good was at bunker 1. What you do is you stay round the back of the bunker and go to the left of the door, if you move near to the back left corner of the bunker you can get a nice flat surface of the roof to rest your machinegun overlooking the german slope of the valley. This position has two advantageous properties:

1) It is protected from any snipers hanging around the middle and, should they move to shoot you they will be exposed in your arc of fire.

2) It covers the left flank rather nicely. Allowing you to slow down, thin out and at best entirely lock off this route to the germans. As it is typically screened from the russians this can be quite useful indeed.

Upvote 0
On..crap, I think Smolsk Stalemate, the first objective as Axis:

If you run up the right side, you can find a spot that's half-obscured by bushes but gives you a clear line of fire on the Allied team's reforcement route. You won't cap from there or see anyone in the cap zone, but anyone en-route will get cut to bits.

Upvote 0
I cannot give away my secrets, but I will say I always try to setup perpendicular to the enemies line of advance so I can shoot them from the flank as they run to the objective, the biggest problem with this approach is protecting your own flank.

One example. on tula outskirts as russian I set up in bunker 1 in the furthest most corner of the right side, from here you can kill all germans in the middle, hit them as they cross the river, and kill them as they run up the hill on the far right flank, your only danger is you are totally vulnerable from the front and left side. One round with an especially inept German team I killed atleast 40 of them in one life as the ran again and again up the right side into my sights, eventually my barrel wore out.

Upvote 0
Its sometimes difficult to set up an mg where you can dish out as much damage as possible without getting killed TOO soon. I Love to play as the mg class whenever i get the chance, and i have done alot of searching on different maps, to find out the best spots.

Here is a spot from DANZIG if you play as axis, and the russians have taken the two bridges:
Shot00002.jpg

If you place the mg right, you can cover the entrance from the cellar, from outside, AND from the bedroom up stairs. With some quick reflexes and team-mates that give you ammo, you can, in theory hold this spot forever.

Only downside is, that you cant actively prevent capturing of the objective.
But you can prevent the russian team from holing up inside the command center, so your team mates only have to search the radio room upstairs and the bar and cellar downstairs if the objective gets captured.

Ill post some more MG places as i get some screenshots of my spots!
Please add some pictures of your own if you got any!

Not that good of a spot imho. You're guaranteed to be dead within one respawn and a decent player.

Upvote 0
I personaly do not play MG at all, only very rarely on public... but I can strongly suggest to MGer - do not try to cover "as many routes as possible" thats nonsence. Find one important way to defend and defend it on 100% and sometimes you can check other paths as situation evolves. It is simply not possible to cover so many routes effectively as it is on image above...

Upvote 0
Considering godlike accuracy of rifles and proned automatics, adding the "look-I'm-here" tracers, the task of a MG in RO is to find a spot you won't get killed instantly. You can't be close up, the auto will get you, you can't hose them from far, the snipers and even rifles need only one shot at your fat head. You can't be anywhere within reach of grenade. And when smoke comes you need a backup position.
Its hell of a task.
Where sniper can duck and hide, you are just a duck, sitting duck. Good idea is stay behind, but so that enemy has to approach without cover. They must not get a chance to shoot you from covered position. Force them to cross open ground first, then you are in advantage.
And forget about covering fire and area denial, not in this game mate.

Upvote 0
Not that good of a spot imho. You're guaranteed to be dead within one respawn and a decent player.

Not if im quick on the reflexes. I have held that position during two spawns at most, killing many would be captors.

Offcourse, i cant stick around there all the time, because people will know, but thats why i never stay too long on one spot. This is just one of many.

Upvote 0
I've never understood why a lot of mgers take upon themselves the role of "Lone wolf" and charge off to some locale, They should really have a small team of 2-3 guys as Security and ammo suppliers with them as part of an overall goal or Objective.
The interests of the Mger should be subserviant to the needs of getting the Job done.
Just too important a weapon to be used otherwise.

Upvote 0
Erm...why do people like to use the MG34 for sniping? Yes, it has no tracers, so what? You can do the same job with more accuracy using a rifle...In fact, a rifle is better for the task because

a) You don't have to be prone and deployed to fire, and

b) You aren't wasting a very powerful, important weapon.

Because a sniper isn't semi-auto with a 75 round clip.

Upvote 0
Personal opinion here, and i know i'm gonna get flak for it. But anyone using an MG for sniping should be clubbed in the back of the head for doing so, wasting a good resource and fire platform for an assault group, which would be more suitably used for suppressing enemy positions than 'sniping'.

But each to their own i guess as long as the weapon isn't being hald back from doing a vital role on a battlefield:D

Upvote 0