• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bolts vs. Autos vs. SMGs

All about Bolt Action

1. Great for long range shots, long range to pixel sniping.
2. It has a pointy poking stick at the end of it.
3. Good for Medium range shots
4. It is good for stabbing people.
5. Good for close and long range hip shooting if you practice it.
6. It has a knife duck taped to the end of it.
7. You are never without a weapon in a match.
8. It is good for stabbing people.

Upvote 0
All about Bolt Action

1. Great for long range shots, long range to pixel sniping.
2. It has a pointy poking stick at the end of it.
3. Good for Medium range shots
4. It is good for stabbing people.
5. Good for close and long range hip shooting if you practice it.
6. It has a knife duck taped to the end of it.
7. You are never without a weapon in a match.
8. It is good for stabbing people.

You forgot to mention the bayonet.

- Joo

Upvote 0
Bolt if you know how to handle the ping on a server, and are sure you can fire in one hit. On all ranges of combat.

Semi if you have uncertainties of hitting someone while moving (like high ping server). On medium range combat.

SMG for close range if you have uncertainties of hitting someone first shot from the hip at close range combat.

In the end the rifle does more damage than the smg, and is more accurate than the semi. But its balanced by making it a lot harder to handle as effectively. In the end all weapons are balanced and its all about using and abusing the weaknesses and strengths of the weaponry. In the end weapon mean nothing its all about the individuals using it.

But you need to make the increased damage and accuracy count by making sure you hit on first shot. That is one of the big weaknesses of the rifle, together with the weak firerate, you need to have the time to rebolt when fighting a group of enemies.

There is nothing like one weapon being more manly than the other, all that matters is that you get the kill rather than how you do it. Even though the rifle is a really strong weapon, if the weapon doesn't fit you then you will do less damage with it than other weaponry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I prefer the bolt actions. But i really have to remember myself not going into buildings and small corridors. Meeting an opponent with an smg means instant death. When i go/die in a building it's always like "What the hell am i doing here with my bolt action rifle, i should get shot for it." And that happens 9/10 times.

I like to shoot from a distance, and so I advance with my team, keeping an eye on the distance, works very good for the bolt action rifles (if we are winning)

With the auto's i'm a little bit more daring. I guess i'm a serious coward when I look over this post.

Upvote 0
You need to perfect the hip shot in those situations. For those with Semi-rifles it's far easier for them because they have 9 shots to get you and if you are even half decent with a hip shot it takes no more than 2 shots with a semi.

The bolt action of course hurts in the fact you better get them with your first hip shot or of course you are dead, but if for some miracle you do get to reload then you better make your second shot count, you usually don't get another chance at that point and you were lucky to get a second chance in the first place.

Upvote 0
I prefer bolt actions because they are like ridiclously more accurate then a semi auto rifle which is stupid because a semi auto rifle will be nearly as accurate as a bolt action in typical combat ranges in real life. The semi auto sniper rifles vs bolt sniper rifles in RO are a perfect example of this, you can't hit s*it with the semi auto sniper in RO compared to the bolt action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wondering what you guys prefer... by auto I mean automatic rifles, not the smgs.

I've found that I do far better at medium-long range shots with the bolt action rifles than the autos, 1) because the sights are better, and 2) because it seems to be more accurate (is this true???), AND because it forces me to use disciplined fire and take my time with each shot since I have to reload between each shot.

Really depends on the dynamics of a map. Close quarters there's nothing like an auto.
Maps with some good distance between opposing forces = bolt action all the way.

Upvote 0
I love to use Semis for two reasons. I'm a noob, and my connection's fast enough to let me get into the server during map change and snag one of the few spots :p. The accuracy is good enough most of the time and it's much better than a bolt action for close quarters. Besides, the Russian one look badass with the bayonet attached!

Upvote 0
I think one of the hardest things to learn with bolt is NOT to reload it by instinct in tight CQB situations but charge instantly with bayonet if the shot doesn't hit. Superfast hipshot & bayo attack works suprisingly well if the SMG guy isn't pro, since SMG's have limitted lethality and especially noobs get often shaky when the "easy catch" will attack ferociously.

Upvote 0
This thread gives me the impression the semi-autos are underrated.

Unless I'm fighting on a really open map, I usually use a semi if one is available. The accuracy difference between bolt-actions and semi-autos is negligible at the ranges a rifleman typically fights at, the only significant difference between bolts and semis is controllability. With a semi-auto at medium to long range, fairly slow and disciplined firing is key. Once you can get that down, you can achieve a level of accuracy very close to that of a bolt-action rifle, but the higher rate of fire and double capacity is there for you when you need it.

I love bolt-actions too, but the fact is that semis are just more effective overall due to their versatility. Often, I even prefer them even over SMGs as close quarters weapons, because very few maps are all indoors/close quarters, and when you're armed with an SMG you're basically incapable of fighting effectively at medium range. A semi-auto gives you that reach, but still allows you to be effective in close quarters. It might seem that a 10 round capacity can't compare to any SMG, but I've had many 'up close and personal' moments where I've dropped three or four targets in a matter of seconds with one shot each with a semi-auto rifle, and I'm not so sure I would have survived any of those times if I'd been using an SMG, because they're just too wild and imprecise.

I do have a preference for bolt-action sniper rifles, however.

Last edited:
Upvote 0