• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Playing Possum

Dan

Aug 11, 2006
I tried this yesterday on Barashka after I got blindsided by a shell that knocked out my tracks while I was at a funny angle. The result was that I couldn't lower my turret to shoot back so I was essentially dead. So what I did was jump out of the tank and then sneak back into it. This made it look like the tank has been abandonned. I also made sure not to move the turret. The enemy shot one or two more shells and then got distracted by something else and figured the tank was empty. I managed to get one more kill before dying.

You can REALLY do this on Black Day July. Moz put these wonderful burning wrecks all over the place. If my tank goes red and no one was around to see it. I park it at a funny angle and skew the turret to a strange position. I then sit quietly in the commander or MG seat and wait for the enemy to appear. Don't move anything and don't sit in the drivers seat, then engine starts and makes noise! Many times, I've had enemy tanks roll right past me at which point I hop into the gunners seat, turn and fire. I've gotten multiple kills with my burning tank!

Upvote 0
You didn't quite get it, the point was that you jump out so that it appears that the tank has been abandonned. It works well because the player is literally ejected vertically out of the tank when he leaves so that anyone looking at you will see you leave but you can immediately get back in from the side where it's hard to see you.

Upvote 0
Well, on allot of servers, you see the kill messages. And most of the servers with that are running tank maps, so if I shot at a tank, and it stopped moving, but there was no kill message, then I would continue shooting, or try to kill any survivors.

You guys obviously don't get it.

You get into a firefight.

You knock out the enemy tank but in the process your tank turns red.

There are no other enemy tanks in line of sight.

Your tank, from the outside, looks as if it is burning and smoking, just like the wrecks lying around.

You move it to some funny angle, skew the turret strange and point the gun to the ground.

Sit in the MG position, don't move the gun!!

Now wait for the next enemy tank to roll along.

Enemy tank rolls over the top of a hill and looks around. He assumes you are just one of the burning wrecks littering the battlefield. He rolls on by.

You jump in the turret, crack the gun around, shoot and score.

This is not about getting hit during a fight and playing dead, only a moronic enemy would fall for that.

Upvote 0
Thats one map. And Dan was talking about the map Barashka. Well I actually got it to work on Black Day in July, but only with the Panzer 3. When I tried it with the Tiger they spotted me instantly. But with the Pz. 3 a guy actually rode by me, parked litterally 5meters away, with his back to me. He got a nice shell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, but strange things happen in Black Day of July. I was driving through the forest in a Stug once and hit a T34, causing it to roll almost completely onto its side, but not so much that it didn't turn around and kill me.
You can tell wrecks from actual tanks on that map because if you shoot wrecks, they will have that distinct "dirt puff" which happens when you hit the ground, while with live tanks the round will either ricochet or penetrate. And there aren't so many wrecks that you can't memorize where they all are.

Upvote 0
But still, if you shoot a tank and the shot ricochets or penatrates, but the tank doesnt move and the turret is still in a weird position, people assume that the driver left. Most people, if they see a tank in a weird position for a while, they assume its either empty or a prop on the map.

Upvote 0