Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Co-Operative Tanking Guide V1

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What of the greyhounds of the battlefield- a pair of double-crewed T-34's- moving up on the objective and firing...and as the Germans just KNOW the Rus are going to be stationary so they can reload- THE T-34'S KEEP ADVANCING! Not only that, but they are firing- with the main gun- on targets while on the move, and getting hits! Since the single-crewed Panzers can't move and fire- or move and reload- at the same time, they are forced to either evade the Rus or engage the attackers while stationary (and run the risk of taking hits at uncomfortable angles).

Woe be unto the Tiger (for it's slow traverse speed) or the IS-2 (for it's slow reload time) if a moving, firing enemy is upon them.

I completely agree that in SOME situations a single-crewed tank is effective enough, but IMHO playing that way is A) a bit too 'gamey', and B) taking RO tanks even further into the outer limits of unrealistic play.

IMHO, tanks should be REQUIRED (except in solo play) to have a minimum of 2 crewmembers to even be operated- or at least compensate by overhauling the mount/dismount times to dramatically increase those times AND require a complete dismount (i.e., boots on the ground) before mounting in a different position. (Those of us who have actually served in tanks KNOW you can't just 'pop' in and out of a turret or driver's hatch- and some tanks you've got to practicaly be a gymnast to get in the correct crew position).

Comment

Good guide; thanks.

My only quibble is the examples all assume the enemy is always a tank and the TC always has perfect situational awareness. Speaking as a frequent driver who has been stalked with fausts many times on Konigsplatz, I can assure you this is not always the case. =)

Comment

Very good guide. I've purchased RO not a week ago and have just recently found the wonders of working a tank. Replete with a mic, it's even better to work a crewed tank, not just me alone.

While the point about solo-tankers is true to certain extent - when given bad teammates (i.e. worse than me) I prefer to steal a tank and off I go before they can hop in and ruin my effort. That is in an event where those would-be crewmen are of such abysmal quality that they do random things, failing at any cohesive tactics of planning.

However, there are those tanks where a double, or a triple, crew is a must. The heavies I mean. Or the assault guns, to a lesser extent.

Overall, as stated before, I prefer to have a fellow crewman. It's certainly much more rewarding - for example, spotting a T34 rushing past you order the driver of the Stug to stop, tell him to rotate left, but the T34 has already whizzed by and is behind you, so you shout "left! left! left!"... and he does as told and there you have the T34 for a nice backstab. Oh, they joy of working with others (personally, that's always a thing that attracts me to these games) and succeeding!

Also, there's one more point about solo-tankers. They tend to be arrogant (I mean, just read that post above) and ruin others' fun. Like when you see a Pz4 and think: "hey, there's no more tanks, I'll just team up with this one" and all the other guy does is shout "scramb, ****er" (possibly not even in English). That's not fun. Or when you see those solos running after tanks, shooting at them with their pistol, to signify that "IT'S MY TANK, GUV". Or when you notice that solo tanker running down the hill, stop near him and offer a lift and even then he orders you to "scramb, ****er". Is not nice.

My bottom line is: if you want to play a tank, accept the fact that your "property" may be crawled into. Accept the fact that others may view it as teamplay, not solo-charges. And if you really have to have the tank to yourself, agree on it with the potential co-crewmen. Not just declare your "rightfull" right to do as you please.

Thank you, cheers!

P.S. I think a mic is a must for the gunner. And use them local channels not to spam the rest of the team with details of manouvering your vehicle.
        P.S. 2 Sorry if I'm restating the obvious as the new kid on the block.
        [right]Nie st

Comment

I read this post and found this statement:

"The firepower of the machine is extremely limited in the context of tanks. The only things it can defeat are infantry."

While the above statement is very true, I with regards to the tank MG's, would like to point out the two MG's on a tank do have particular roles.

If there is a post on this topic my apoligies in advance

Bow MG

It main and only purpose is anti infantry defense. In real life, the radio operator/mechanic had the secondary task of operating the Bow MG in combat situations. Now for the game, there is no comms for the Bow machine gunner to do. However, if you were playing a platoon tank scrim you could use the players as Communicators if you were using additional programs as Teamspeak etc... . More to follow....

Co-axial MG

This MG has two roles. First one which is extremely secondary is anti infantry defence for arcs not covered by the Bow MG.

Now to the bread and butter of the Co-axial MG .

The primary role of the Co-axial MG is to assist the Gunner/Commander in aiming the main gun to their tank. Normally, the Co-axial MG is in perfect allignment with the main gun. Prior to firing the main gun on target, the commander fired a minimum 10 round burst from the Co-axial MG to watch the path of the tracers to the target and adjusted their weapons in order to bring the main gun on target.

MG Bursts

The use of MG's by the Infantry and Armoured differ and their firing modes.

Infantry

Normally, when MG's are deployed, we in the infantry were taught to use the phase "Son of a *****" in order to achieve a 3 round burst. The reason for a 3 round burst was so the gunner can control their weapon more effectively. I do find myself as a Machine Gunner always chanting this phrase in the game .

Infantry machine gunners would only use longer burst when the weapon was deployed in the sustained fire mode.

Armoured

As meantioned earlier in this post, the ten round burst was consider the norm for tanks. The reason for this is the way their ammunition is packed for their co-axial machine guns. Normal loading for a belt of machine gun ammunition is Four to One.

4 Ball (Normal) rounds to 1 Tracer round.

However it was explained to me that Armoured Corps could receive there ammunition for the Co-axial loaded as all tracer.

Comment

Thanx for the good posts. I really enjoy armored warfare in RO and I am starting to get a feel for it but it is tough to find a good partner sometimes. I really enjoy driving with a TC who knows what he is doing and communicates effectively.

BTW SPattSgt, what you are talking about with using the Coax to line up main gun shots is called "Burst On Target" and it's an effective tactic. I am not sure how well RO models balistics but the COAX and Main gun usually have different balistic trajectories so there is a "synchronized range" at which both weapons strike the same point.

Often with high velocity guns the COAX will be a little higher then the Main Gun at shorter ranges and increasingly lower at longer rangers as the lighter rounds from the MG really start getting into their terminal drop to the ground.

With low velocity Main Guns like the short 75mm on the STUG IIIB and PZKW IVD it is often a reverse with the MG rounds comming in low initially and meeting at the synchronization point.

I was a Combat Engineer on the M728 CEV which was a modified M60 class tank with a 165mm Main Gun, 7.62mm COAX and .50 Cal HMG in the TC coupola, (small turret on top of the main turret). The main gun had a max effective range of only 800 meters so the coax had more range then the main gun

Comment

Just came back from a long break off RO, and was looking around the forums while my game updates.

This post, is simply, brilliant. I remember when I first played, I'd hop in a tank, call a few people to get in and drive headlong behind enemy lines firing wildly. I'll know now not to mess about, and see how fun this approach can be.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X