• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic Suggestion

Sir Tristram

Mar 24, 2006
ok, i'm a realism buff, and no doubt love red orchestra because of it, in my personal opinion, i'd like to see a numbver of things:

things that may actually be attainable:

*new Smoke Cough:when smoke is deployed, you should have coughing bouts when inside of it, shaking thee veiw camera, and wearing your arms down quicker (because your are coughing from lungs, these deep coughs eventually can put pressure on your shoulder when raised in the "iron sights" position) And When running threw Black smoke or near black smoke (fire smoke) you should get tearyed vision, and should last a bit after you pass it, no screen shake, just teared vision.

*new Stealth stance: this is for creeping up on soldiers, it is MUCH slower, even standing to move like this, you should be moving at about the speed on the prone iron sights foward movement, you would make no sound, unless you stepp on like a branch or something. This would also include a controled breathing, where your breathing would only make the slightest audiable sound, unless you are out of breath.

reload shake for clips: in life, you don't always get the clip straight in, and sometimes break it.

fear shake: a person will shake in fear, no matter how tuff you think you are, about 30% of the time, escpecially when slowly moving, your adrenaline gets up, your heart beats faster, you are afraid, you will shake your rifle, just a bit, but still shake it.

rifle shoulder: "Shoulder that rifle Damnit!" always screaming from drill seargents, even in ww2, you shouldered your rifle, which means, the stock is placed on your shoulder, your arm is at like, idk, a 80-70 degree angle at the elbow, and your hold your rifle downwards, this allows for a quicker draw to the shoulder, also wears out your trigger arm, in game this should be the default stance, with the ability to change to ironsights, and hip-fire with different keystrokes.

Stance: you do not stand upright when in combat, instant reaction is to get your head down, for PERFECT combat stance and movement flow, refer to the game Star Wars: Republic Commando

Prone movement: when you are prone in the dirt, or sand, or hard ground, it's a little hard to turn, harder than in game, you have to force it a little harder, so i propose when the model gets to the point where you must turn your legs to turn prone, you have to repeatedly press a turning key

Things that are probably not going to make the cut:

Visual perspective: the classic fps perspective is NOT what you see in life, you see (in perifial vision) up to atleast your shoulder when holding your rifle, you will also see your own body in certain standing angles, you will definatly see your body in a crouching stance

Squading: this institues a squad system in which you are part of a squad ranging from the numbers of that time, now squad sizes are 6-19 in the US army, i'm sure it was different then, and different for all military branches, this feature would also inclue squad commands, with hand signals and squad voice commands, or atleast text commands

SEPERATE text boxes: one for "in game" chat such as voice commands, target locations, all that stuff, the other for typing chat and the such, with an option to toggle on and off for both

Last edited:
I like I like!

Shakes and that would be cool as. I love the fading and shaking from Atry fire and nades...sistuation based tremor would be kool.

Squad System: Battle Field 2 anyone? Just have a system like that and ull bring a more order to the larger battles and a sence of team work within teams

Visual perspective: Try this game on a 22' @ 1680x1050...its perifial vision then ;)

And seeing you own body would add an extra level of emersion as long as it detailed enough to see the stiching in your coat and well modeled. We dont want ugly low res gimpy arms on our screen lol.

And how about an emergeny prone button than when pressed when running you dive for your life!! good for avoidng direct hit for arty.

And how about being knocked to the ground by explosions such as arty and tank fire where you drop your weapons and your on the back for a second, then have to get up and gather your self. Or is it that when your knocked down by an explosion youve most lickly ingested lead also :p

Would b rather cinemtic (cod3 style?) but prety patchy on the UT2004 engine prehaps.

Upvote 0
Whaddya think this is? WWII Online?! ;)

But seriously, the magic pivot while prone needs to go away.

Personally, here is what I think should happen... Mouse movement should move the gun but not the body.

If you need to turn, use the arrow keys or the AD from WASD.

But many people are complaining: "What about my straffing!"

Have you seen a soldier side step 27/7 in combat? No, becuase its uncomfortable and easier to trip over your own legs.

Maybe holding down another key and doing it would be logical, but the human body should be treated almost like an SU or stug.

The mouse moves the gun as far as you could snap it, but turning around should take a bit more time (especially if you are prone).

None of this instant whipping of your body around to see whose behind you... You'd snap your back if you did that in real life.

Upvote 0
Visual perspective: Try this game on a 22' @ 1680x1050...its perifial vision then ;)

still not periphials, it''s the modelling in the game, you only see your foraerms, and also, i my personal pinion, the rifle is too close to the face + your head should lean over the rifle, atleast slightly, the way it's set up now, it seems he's holding the rilfe on his chest, which isn't a good idea. there should also be quicker ironsights turning, and when in ironsights, you can't turn as far left as you can when hip-shooting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
o
*new Stealth stance: this is for creeping up on soldiers, it is MUCH slower, even standing to move like this, you should be moving at about the speed on the prone iron sights foward movement, you would make no sound, unless you stepp on like a branch or something.

Doesn't the little-used 'WALK' key do this?
(pretty sure RO has a walkoption.. can't say I've ever used it..

Upvote 0
Prone movement: when you are prone in the dirt, or sand, or hard ground, it's a little hard to turn, harder than in game, you have to force it a little harder, so i propose when the model gets to the point where you must turn your legs to turn prone, you have to repeatedly press a turning key

I think that it should be done in a bit different way - when you are prone you indd cannot rotate around some vertical axis quickly but you have to turn around horizontal axis (since your body is on the ground). This means you lie on the ground on the belly, you turn your mouse than rotation that happenes should be turn on your back, so you will be looking backward and lying on your back. Rotation around horizontal axis can be solved by combination of some actual keys (eg.combination of prone button+leaning).

... but if this would be applicable then we will see it probably in some next game, not in RO... just imo.

Upvote 0