• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Smoke mortars on tanks

Right, well, clearly then it should be included...

Anyway, I think defensive smoke launchers wouldn't be as useful as smoke rounds, really.

Smoke rounds can cover your ADVANCE, which, most of the time, is what we're doing. I don't know anyone who ever really retreats when they're tanking, unless you were in a crucial tank that wouldn't respawn. Otherwise, I think people would just say "Eh, screw it. I'll just die and respawn."

Upvote 0
he doesnt particularely mean smoke shells, i think he means the defensive smoke launchers, oftenly fixed on the turret. when you are in deep **** you fire them off, and they create a smoke screen around you, allowing you to pull back out of LOS

yes. Like the so called "Nebelkerze 39"

D 656/42, Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf

Upvote 0
Yes, I meant the Nahverteidigungswaffe:
I used to play Panzer Elite (the old original game).
Sometimes I advanced too far and head right into a number of enemy tanks; I could then pop the smoke launchers, blinding the enemy for a minute, and find a hull down position. I'd really like to see that in this game too! :rolleyes:
Very usefull in tank maps, e.g. Orel

Upvote 0
There are a number of different pieces of kit used by tanks to produce smoke.

Smoke shells and smoke pots were definately used. This is from the Intelligence Bulletin, Aug '44, courtesy of Lone Sentry. http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/smokeshelltactics/index.html
"Smoke shells are fired from the 75-mm guns of the Pz. Kpfw. IV's [1], and also, it is reported, from 88-mm guns on other armored vehicles. Smoke shells are not fired by the Pz. Kpfw. II [2] or the Pz. Kpfw. III [3], both of which are equipped to discharge "smoke pots" with a range of approximately 50 yards. These pots are released electrically, and are employed chiefly to permit the tank to escape when caught by antitank fire"​

And from http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=50 , we have a quote of Jentz's book, Panzertruppen.
"c. If a Pz.Kpfw.lV is available among our own Panzers, it is to be employed in front of the opponent. The use of Nebelgranaten (smoke shells) can blind the T-34 or aid the other Panzers in closing in. It is also possible that the opponent will think that the smoke is poison gas and break off the action."​

German armoured cars (SdKfz234) were also fitted with smoke pots (although here they're described as smoke generators). http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/smoke-generators-armored-car.html
"equipped with two smoke generators. The discharger cups were fitted to either side of the turret on brackets, pointing forward, upwards and outward. In the bottom of each cup was fixed the bolt of a standard German carbine, controlled by a cable and trigger mechanism from inside the car. A blank cartridge projected the smoke generator, which, from the dimensions of the cup -- 6 inches in length and 3.61 inches internal diameter -- was the standard German Nb.K. (Nebel Kerze--smoke candle) 39."​
The Nahverteidigungswaffe was a sort of point defense weapon, firing a fragmentation type "grenade" as well a smoke grenades. It could also be opened and a flare gun fired out of it. It was definately fitted to the K

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also from Lone Sentry, TM-E 30-45 Handbook on German Military Forces, Chapter 8. Chemical Warfare Equipment http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/tme30/ch8sec6sub4.html

"f. SMOKE GENERATORS. (1) General. Smoke generators are often referred to as "thermo-generators" due to the fact that they produce smoke by the "hot" process, namely, by the combustion of the smoke materials. They may be stationary, thrown by hand or rifle, or by dischargers mounted on tanks. Also, they may be fastened on floats or buoys for amphibious operations.

(2) Smoke Candle 39 (Nb.K.39). This smoke generator consists of a metal can, 5 3/4 inches high by 3 1/2 inches in diameter, provided with holes in the top for smoke emission. It weighs approximately 4 3/4 pounds and is painted green, with two white bands around the body. The Berger-type smoke mixture, consisting of two parts of zinc dust to three parts of hexachlorethane, is fired by a pull type igniter and burns from 4 to 7 minutes."

"g. SMOKE GENERATOR PROJECTORS FOR ARMORED VEHICLES. The Pz. Kpfw. III and Pz. Kpfw. VI are provided with smoke generator projectors (dischargers), which are mounted on each side of the turret. They consist of three cylindrical tubes, 6 inches in length by 3.7 inches in diameter, mounted on a bracket one above the other at a fixed elevation of 45 degrees, but slightly splayed to give a lateral spread to the generators. Nb.k.39 smoke generators are fired from inside the turret. Panther and Tiger Model B tanks are fitted with smoke generator dischargers mounted flush in the right rear top of the turret, at an angle of 60 degrees to the turret roof. They are mounted in a circular ring in such a manner that they may be traversed through 360 degrees. The barrel, 7 1/2 inches long by 3 5/8 inches in diameter, is fitted with a breechblock. The firing mechanism is operated by a trigger from within the tank, projecting the Nb.K.39 smoke generators."

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, I'd say that anything except smoke shells would be pretty much useless in this game. Most people aren't going to retreat, even on a map like Orel.

yesterday on orel i was hull down over a hill looking at the east fields, and i was engaging a t34-76 with my tiger. all my rounds bounced on him, and his shells were doing alot of damage to my tank(on a 800 meter distance, thank you balance :rolleyes: ) when another t34 shows up and starts firing at me also, i fire the next round at him, and it bounced. so i decided to reverse out of their sight and repositioned myself so i could only see on of the 2 tanks. this way i took them out both.
i was lucky to have a hill to hide behind, if in more open terrain, such a smoke discharger would have saved me.

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, I'd say that anything except smoke shells would be pretty much useless in this game. Most people aren't going to retreat, even on a map like Orel.
I'd say that if you provide the smoke, people might change tactics.
But we'd never know until / unless it's tried.

On the other side, if these smoke candles burn for 4+ minutes, and you imagine what would happen to the server / clients if you have 20 tanks popping smoke all at the same time.

I think a smoke shell would be 1) doable, 2) allow both Russians and Germans to use them, 3) avoid (a lot of) "smoke spamming".

But, if you only carry 2-3 smoke shells, I think it would work best a-la AB mut, where you have a Reload key to press.

Upvote 0