• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Game has Turned 10 Years Old

Venture

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 31, 2013
Hi,

I have a very faint memory that back in October 2003 first version of Red Orchestra was released. Some things come to my mind from that era:

Game ran on top of UT2003 engine, so one must had owned a copy of that in order to play the game.

There were no vehicles, no MG's and only limited selection of weapons was available (it was the first version!). Of course, map selection was also limited, which was natural at the beginning.

When firing a bolt action rifle, it was automatically cocked after shot which was a bit annoying.

That's what popped into my mind at this stage. Please share your memories along the line of the game's history :)

I have been around since mod update 2.0/2.1, i remember getting my *** handed to me multiple time seeing the game had a learning curve. Had allot of great times in the game, and than they added vehicles, can still remember that big tank map. And than the full game was released, it was great, and than the mods, with DH being my favorite and more played than RO1.

And than came RO2, trying to lick the heels of COD players, tanks that you can't get out from without miraculously blowing yourself and the tank up. There is only one thing that saved the game from a full on death and that is it's community!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Happy Birthday RO! Best online FPS ever, no lie. I bought it on Steam sale maybe 9 years back during a free weekend. Actually, my wonderful father bought it for me, because I was just a kid and kept going on about how much this new game was mind bogglingly realistic and fun. I've played RO1 and Darkest Hour and to a lesser extent Mare Nostrum for hundreds of hours, hundreds, over a nearly 10 year span. I LOVE this game. On that note..

Please make it freeware, Tripwire! Or give out keys in a Humble Bundle! DO SOMETHING!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So many of the people who loved and played RO1 may never see this thread. But I will always remember the hundreds of hours of great fun. I agree, best FPS ever, IMHO. I agree, TWI should release it as freeware, it well might boost RO2 sales, too! Here's to the "good old days"!

Well, the versions of the mod are still around - they were always "freeware". And maybe we will do that for RO: Ostfront one day!

I was trying to remember the dates as well. Yes, I think the first mod (just checked on Wayback Machine) was released 10/10/03. Wow.

Upvote 0
Yes, I'm definitely late for the birthday party. Nevertheless let me give you a belated happy birthday, Red Orchestra!

I've go ta new server up and running, everything is vanilla atm because I saw the need of a server without modified Ostfront content. 84.200.5.30:28015

Well, the versions of the mod are still around - they were always "freeware". And maybe we will do that for RO: Ostfront one day!

I was trying to remember the dates as well. Yes, I think the first mod (just checked on Wayback Machine) was released 10/10/03. Wow.

This sounds like a very good idea, however free games bring in the trollkids and I fear that when the admins are not around this will reduce gameplay quality. I believe it's perfectly fine to only let the players who payed for the game play it, forever.

Upvote 0
This sounds like a very good idea, however free games bring in the trollkids and I fear that when the admins are not around this will reduce gameplay quality. I believe it's perfectly fine to only let the players who payed for the game play it, forever.

You do understand that RO1 is a complete ghost town and DH only has 1 or 2, fully packed servers populated 1/4 to 3/4 of any given day? This is a game that is languishing. The population is not there, and without a freeware release or bundling, won't grow and may shrink.

Would you prefer a situation where you can never enjoy RO1 ever again or a situation where there are 10's or 100's of populated servers across RO1 and its 2 mods? So I adamantly disagree with your statement that only those who paid previously should be able to play.

A freeware release would be incredible, I think I might actually jump for joy when the day comes.

Upvote 0
You do understand that RO1 is a complete ghost town and DH only has 1 or 2, fully packed servers populated 1/4 to 3/4 of any given day? This is a game that is languishing. The population is not there, and without a freeware release or bundling, won't grow and may shrink.

Would you prefer a situation where you can never enjoy RO1 ever again or a situation where there are 10's or 100's of populated servers across RO1 and its 2 mods? So I adamantly disagree with your statement that only those who paid previously should be able to play.

A freeware release would be incredible, I think I might actually jump for joy when the day comes.

I have noticed a decline in activity in RO but to declare it as dead is not only nonsense, it conceals the truth and is a complete lie. Your statement is disinformation. I do think that the population is important but not to whatever cost. I've seen F2P being imbedded as a feature in various old games before and in my eyes it has worsened most, if not all of them. Not to talk about the full free releases. Calling the people which still play, which still mod and run servers "a complete ghost town" doesn't only tell that you don't play the game and have no updated perception, it also tells that you are ready to direct misleading information for your own cause. Furthermore I find it offensive and disrespectful to all of us.

As an example of bad input and F2P; RO2 Classic mode got tweaked by TWI after wishes from people who didn't regularly play it. Outcome: mode became unrecognizable to the Ostfront fans and vets, begginning its decline with fewer players in RO2 Classic mode than Ostfront at the time. I haven't had a look for probably a full 6 months but has F2P given more population for this mode? Last time I checked primetime, there was not a single classic server with even 1 player on it. I understand that TWI had to change the game in order to satisfy the major audience. The problem however being that the audience didn't support their own wishes at the end which is rather tragic and makes me deeply disappointed to this day. TWI seemed to only hear the ones who cried the loudest, so it was perhaps that the true Classic players didn't cry but I remember that the silence was deafening.

Making the game freeware should be avoided. This is my point of view and as long as I don't see your name ingame, I really don't care about yours, because it wouldn't affect you but it would affect me. Thus your values are of no importance.

PS. I haven't played DH in a long time, so I can't say how populated it is.

Upvote 0
As an example of bad input and F2P; RO2 Classic mode got tweaked by TWI after wishes from people who didn't regularly play it. Outcome: mode became unrecognizable to the Ostfront fans and vets, begginning its decline with fewer players in RO2 Classic mode than Ostfront at the time. I haven't had a look for probably a full 6 months but has F2P given more population for this mode? Last time I checked primetime, there was not a single classic server with even 1 player on it. I understand that TWI had to change the game in order to satisfy the major audience. The problem however being that the audience didn't support their own wishes at the end which is rather tragic and makes me deeply disappointed to this day. TWI seemed to only hear the ones who cried the loudest, so it was perhaps that the true Classic players didn't cry but I remember that the silence was deafening.

To be fair to both TWI and the (ROOST Vets) players, TWI did go and create Classic mode for old RO fans, most of which I like very much. However, it took so long to create and then tweak (running speed etc) that between initial release of RO2 and final tweaking of Classic mode, few of those players actually remained, having abandoned the game after feeling abandoned themselves.

That said, the few times I fire up ROOST, I see few servers (which is ok) but rarely any decent custom maps. If I saw TractorWorks or Elnya or some of those other epic maps, I'd be all over ROOST again.

Upvote 0
That said, the few times I fire up ROOST, I see few servers (which is ok) but rarely any decent custom maps. If I saw TractorWorks or Elnya or some of those other epic maps, I'd be all over ROOST again.

You are correct about that, however I meant the tweaking after the classic mode got released when there were a selected few that continously played it.

The real question is how you keep a good playerbase and extend the lifetime of such a fantastic game. To me, in the present form there are only a few options to provide a steady playerbase. One of which is a good community and I believe that we do have got this. What we don't have anymore but what would be priceless is developer updated content and it would be wierd to have it after all these years of support. But there are ways of achieving everything, updates for Ostfront could be community funded and the revenue could be used to reduce the price on the current game so more people buy it or remain or even be risen to provide future updates and entice old and new players. If you really try and get people onboard, the possibilities are endless. At this moment I believe that we need to take the game for what it is and accept the fact that most people are not willing to invest in the game to get something out of it but rather want it to be given away for free (which of course opens the probability for accelerated aging and damage).

Upvote 0
To be fair to both TWI and the (ROOST Vets) players, TWI did go and create Classic mode for old RO fans, most of which I like very much. However, it took so long to create and then tweak (running speed etc) that between initial release of RO2 and final tweaking of Classic mode, few of those players actually remained, having abandoned the game after feeling abandoned themselves.

I'll put tractorworks on my server just for you Moe......if you don't mind playing by yourself.

Upvote 0
;) Also late for congratulation, but I also bought (heared) it late, in spring 2010.
5 years ago, it was a blow to my mind in comparison what I played before, for example CoD UO......just comming from the pl.fight-night....it is still a blow to my mind !
And I do not only play on friday's fight nights :D ...

I love the developer's effort to make it realistic as I was before always wishing to play a "serious" WW2 shooter.
All this mechanism, this features, the love to the details and historic accuracy is just great.

The community was, in rememberance, little more friendly, willing to help and I only remember good times with nice people, real teamwork and good communication.
And when I first played it, I was captured immeadatly.

Do I sound strange, when I say, that I actually feel sometimes, as I was real there in WW2, all time if I'm seeing documentaries? :p

And for the exclusive RO2 players - well,....try...simply try.....

PS:

Tiger

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ostfront was the high-point of the RO franchise. I dedicated my free-time to it (thousands for hours) for 4 years and I had a blast.

It's a shame that RO2 was ruined by TWI's eagerness to copy from AAA franchises instead of improving their own unique RO formula.

Upvote 0

Mr Wilson, I was wondering if you had given any more though to releasing Ostfront as freeware. I've been playing Ostfront for over 6 or 7 years, ever since a free weekend instantly hooked me. RO is every bit as superb today as it was then. There's still a dedicated community that plays your great game daily, and if it were put out as a promotional, free game on Steam, then it would give an opportunity for thousands more to try it. Hearing you say that it is possible gives me great hope, and I hope as the months have gone on you have only thought better on the idea. If nothing else then I want to take this opportunity to thank you personally for all the hard work and innovation you and the other devs put it into Ostfront, it truly is one of my favorite games.

Please let us know if we can look forward to a freeware Ostfront release and the tons of new players it would bring!

Upvote 0