• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra - Ostfront -> Basic and Advanced FAQ

Witzig

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006
Germany
This is a FAQ made for new players and those who are FPS Veterans. If any errors get spotted, please grab yourself a Megaphone and shout at me, or simply send me a Private Message.

PS: This FAQ is not official, it's made by forum users.

Q: What is Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 about ?
A: Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is a WWII FPS focusing on the Eastern Front, and the Fight between german and Soviet Infantry and Tank Forces. Its is a Multiplayer Game with Bot Support for Singleplayer Practice on Multiplayer Maps.

Q: How do i get my Hands on a Copy of RO-Ostfront 41-45 ? And how much will it cost ?
A: You will be able to download it via Steam (24,95$ Release Price), or buy it in Stores in a Box (MSRP for the Box: $29.99). The Box will be avaible in March 2006, and will be published by "Bold Games" (www.boldgames.com). Bold Games will publish the Game worldwide, though there will be different Names appearing at the Box since Bold Games will use different Companies in different Countries as Distribution Channel.
One will still need a free Steam account to update and play RO-Ostfront, but no creditcard will be required. The release Date of the Steam Version is currently unknown, but will not be much different then the Boxed Version, currently PreOrder and PreLoad on Steam is avaible which puts the release somewhere in early March 2006.

Q: What are the System requirements for the Client ?
A: Minimum:
CPU: 1.2 GHZ or Equivalent, 512 MB RAM, Video Card: DirectX

Last edited:
Well done! I guess the keys and bot-commands will be added as soon as we know them..

But you missed some major questions of newcomers:

Will Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 be on the Source Engine, like the other games available on steam?
No, Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is based on a greatly imrpoved version of Epic's Unreal Engine 2.5.

Do I have to have Unreal Tournament 2004 installed in order to play it?
No, Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is a stand-alone game. The only thing you have to have installed is steam.

Do I have to pay for it if I own Half-Life 2/Counterstrike: Source/Unreal Tournament 2004?
As Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is a standalone, you have to pay for it, just like you'd have to for any other stand-alone game.

Upvote 0
Q: Where do i turn on the Ammo Counter ?

...When you reload you are told whether the new clip is "heavy" (over half full) or "light" (under half full).

Q: Where is my health bar?

In RO your health is represented by the soldier figure at the bottom. When you have been lightly wounded it turns yellow, when heavily wounded it turns red.

Q: How do I pick weapons?

RO has a set number of classes which vary from map to map. They are the Commander/Tank Commander (SMG, pistol, binoculars), Tank Crewman/Automatic (SMG), Machine-gunner (MG, pistol), Anti-tank (AT weapon, SMG/Pistol), Sapper (SMG, satchel charge), Auto-rifleman (Semi-auto rifle), Sniper (Sniper rifle, pistol), and Rifleman (bolt-action rifle). With some classes you will get the option of picking between several different weapons, for example some maps will let a German Automatic pick between the MP-40, MP-41 or STG-44. Also, while in game you can pick up the dropped weapons of any class and use them until you die, although you will still respawn in your original class.

Each map has a set number of class positions, for example there could be 1 commander slot, 3 Automatics, 1 Machine gunner and unlimited Riflemen. This is to simulate the real-life weapon ratios on the battlefield, as well as to balance the teams and prevent overwhelming numbers of automatics or snipers from taking over the battlefield.

Q: What sort of gameplay types are there?

Games focus on capturing objectives, similar to the flag system in DoDS and BF2. However, these "capzones" aren't set zones around a flag, but rather important regions of the map determined by the mapper. These can include an important building, a system of trenches, a key bunker, or even an entire village. Objectives can be tied to each other, so that its necessary to control certain ones before being able to capture another.

In addition, objectives can be set in two major types: meeting engagement and assault. In meeting engagement some or all of the objectives start out uncontrolled, and both sides fight to control all of them in order to win. In assault all objectives are initially held by one side, which has to defend them from the other team.

Recently satchel objectives have been introduced, where a special sapper class has to plant explosives on an objective in order to cap it. These can be antitank emplacements or barriers blocking an attackers progress, like doors or "hedgehogs."

It would also be good if someone could post an answer to "How is tank combat handled?", describing armor slope/thickness and ammo/engine hit locations.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
Might be i'm not sure though :) Since i am German *G*

And Thanks to everyone contributing, alone such a FAQ is always missing, it can only be complete if a lot of people help :). Since everyone knows a tidbit, and we together know everything :)

I'm quite sure "Ego-Shooter" is a german term. I often read it in german gaming magazines.

Here are my suggestions (I believe, a lot of CoD2 players are interested in the answers to some of these questions ;) ):

1. Will there be grenade cooking?
2. Will I be able to sprint?
3. Will there be health packs or a medic?
4. From which perspectives will I be able to drive vehicles, e.g. third person view?
5. Will I be able to record demos ingame?
6. How many players are supported on a server?
7. Will there be a separate server installer?
8. How much space is required on my hard disk (client and server)?
9 What are the system requirements (client and server)?

so far AND good work!

By the way (don't know if it must be in the FAQ): One question I have is: Will there be weapon bob?

Stahl

Upvote 0
radix said:
^btw I hope we get rid of that "health" indicator in RO: O

:eek: Nooo! Health indictator is good, RO is made to be realistic, in real life i tend to know how i'm feeling, so i'd like to in RO too! I find it a bit annoying on some servers in the mod who remove some of this stuff i.e. health man, number of clips left etc. In real life you know about how many clips you have left and your state of health so it should be kept! Ok if we want more realism i wouldnt mind having a ammo bag heavy/light/very light type of thing similar to clip. Also some servers dont show your kills/other peoples kills, i dont like that all that much even tho it's realistic it removes a bit of the fun and victory of knowing you killed the well placed sniper or something!
Ok feeling better now! :)
Sorry i went off topic there guys :p

Upvote 0
The reason I haven't stickied this is we've been sitting on our own FAQ which we will have up very shortly. I will however check to make sure everything here is on it (or close too). However it is more of a generic FAQ, if you want you can gear this one to be more game feature specific in which case it will get a home as well.

Upvote 0
Once this is "finalized" a bit more, you should send it to http://www.gamefaqs.com

And how about this question:

Where I can I find links to real world information on the weapons and vehicles in Red Orchstra: Ostfront 41-45?
A Wikipedia article exists, covering basic information on Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, including known weapons and vehicles modelled, with links to articles about each. The URL is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Orchestra:_Ostfront_41-45

Upvote 0
Another one for ya:

Q: Where can I find gameplay footage?

Right now there has been no released ingame footage of Ostfront. There are, however, a number of good videos from the mod, which show off the general gameplay of RO.

http://redorchestra.clanservers.com/videos.html
Official trailer for 3.1 Mod release (current version 3.3)

http://www.maporchestra.com/downloads/p13_sectionid/4/p13_fileid/61
Trailer from Summer Offensive custom mapping contest, showing the wide variety of environments possible in RO. Several of the mappers that participated are now Tripwire employees.

http://www.maporchestra.com/downloads/p13_sectionid/4/p13_fileid/9
Film by BFE:RO showing close combat fighting on RO-Volga

Upvote 0
FYROM said:
I posted a link to this over in the Steam forums...
And I did the same at the IWN forums. Doing this i can keep my "Who will switch to ROOST"-poll alive over there. Maybe with this FAQ we can pull more ppl over to RO.
By the way: Hey devs! What about a signed boxed copy of RO:Ostfront for your external PR staff when it's out in stores? ;)

Upvote 0