• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS High Ping/Lag on every server

with_teeth26

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 20, 2013
I am currently experiencing a persistent issue where low pings are displayed in the server browser, but when I join the server they are reported as being much higher.

For instance, in the server browser a server might be listed as having 50 ping, but when I join it fluctuates between 100 and 300, usually hovering around 180-200. This seems to be happening on every server, and does not occur in any other game. There is noticeable rubber banding/player warping and hit detection issues as a result.

any idea what could be causing this?

You can check your system on trojans, worms, ad/spy and malware with several programs.

Long time ago i had a problem with this game and i checked my system with several programs and i found something. After deleting the....the game worked great again.

my ping in all multiplayers pc games is 30-40 ms in ro2-rs my ping is 160 it's not my problem

Upvote 0
You can check your system on trojans, worms, ad/spy and malware with several programs.

Long time ago i had a problem with this game and i checked my system with several programs and i found something. After deleting the....the game worked great again.
haven't you been playing lately? pretty much every server I've been on in the last month has been having weird ping spikes. and I don't mean I"M having weird spike. everyone in the server is getting them.

and Apparo89, a ping of 160 in RO2 is fine. up to around three hundred works. don't let anyone convince you, you need 50 to be able to keep up with everyone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh thank goodness. I thought that I was the only one that was suffering from these absurd ping issues.

I have the same problem. The server browser shows a reasonable ping between 50-100. Once I join the server, it jumps all the way up around the 200-300 range. All of the players on the screen are teleporting and it is nearly impossible to play at all.

I am scratching my head after this one. I believe that this was one of the main issues that plagued the initial release of RO2 when I first got that game. Now, it seems to be the same issue for RS. I surely hope that there will be a fix implemented by the final release.

Upvote 0

thats a funny one. its actual the game itself thats the issue and playing with 160 ping is not good at all i guess everyone has spyware and whatnot than.

rising storm currently has a massive hit detection issue and latency issues with the servers. needs some netcode optimization

as for r5cya

"a ping of 160 in RO2 is fine. up to around three hundred works. don't let anyone convince you, you need 50 to be able to keep up with everyone else."

literally made me facepalm. i ping 160 in russian servers when im in NY. anything over 100 latency is terrible. when youve played competitive counter-strike or even quake you can tell the difference and its massive

http://www.pingtest.net/result/81632308.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2728357195.png

Last edited:
Reactions: LiamFVJ
Upvote 0
thats a funny one. its actual the game itself thats the issue and playing with 160 ping is not good at all i guess everyone has spyware and whatnot than.

rising storm currently has a massive hit detection issue and latency issues with the servers. needs some netcode optimization

as for r5cya

"a ping of 160 in RO2 is fine. up to around three hundred works. don't let anyone convince you, you need 50 to be able to keep up with everyone else."

literally made me facepalm. i ping 160 in russian servers when im in NY. anything over 100 latency is terrible. when youve played competitive counter-strike or even quake you can tell the difference and its massive

[url]http://www.pingtest.net/result/81632308.png[/URL]
[url]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2728357195.png[/URL]
allow me to facepalm as well while reading your apples to oranges story. thank you.

Upvote 0
is your ping through the roof all the time or is it like the rest of us and it's fine one minute and through the roof the next? if it's like the rest of us, the only solution is to wait for TWI to find out why it's happening and fix it. nothing we can do about the servers. :( if your ping is always ridiculous, then you need to find out what's wrong with your internet connection.

Upvote 0
if it happens like once every few minutes, are you running wireless. (often a ping spike happens when your computer starts the routine search for new wireless connections).

Anyway in general it might be good to type "stat net" into the console while running the game, when you get the issue again take a look at the readings it could at least tell us if the ping spike is based on outbound issues or inbound issues.

Upvote 0
The game (RO2) has had server performance issues from the beginning.

They manifest in:

1. High ping for everyone, typically much higher than in any other game and higher than in the server browser or when pinging the server.
  2. Delay of shots registering, shoot on a wall in front of you, there is noticeable delay that shouldnt be there.
  3. Once in a while servers goes on a lag frenzy where everyone experiences lagging and everyones ping go way up to the sky, you can also experience "speed hack detected" due to the lag during this.

I can only hope they will fix these server performance issues someday, it has really driven me away from RO2. You cant have a realistic game with something unrealistic like this.

Upvote 0
i found a fix for my ping (160-200 ms)
i set the priority "below normal" for rogame.exe process, now my ping is always 80ms with no fps change (i run the game @ 62 fps ultra settings)

You are genius! That was the most simple solution to a nerve-wracking dilemma. The developers need to find out why the game runs so poorly for some people unless they use your method.

Again, thanks for the share. It was very helpful.

Upvote 0