• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] Ro2 wont launch from steam

luke688

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2012
Osaka
Title says it all really I downloaded the game but it wont start when i click play it will come up with the box and say its launching for a split second before disappearing and not even starting the game. Ive tried verifying the game files and restarting steam but to no avail its also worth mentioning other games in my steam library are launching fine its just Ro2/RS having these issues. Anyone know of any possible fix? Thanks in advance.

System specs:

GPU: Nvidia GTX 560ti
CPU: i5-2500k
500gb HDD
8gb RAM

Last edited:
Joseph is correct. It's a steam issue that sometimes happens when steam is installing multiple games at once.
Example:
You have 3 games.
- Game A
- Game B
- Game C

If you then click install fore both games in the order A-B-C, then steam will download them in the order C-B-A. And after A is fully downloaded, then it will register A. As a result A will work and B and C won't. The only way to solve this (AFAIK) is by deleting those games that do not start and reinstall them 1 by 1.

Upvote 0
The desktop shortcut does actually not directly refer to the RO2 executable. It only tells steam which game it should start (by using the steam app id for that game).

You need to find out if ROGame.exe is really started by steam or not. One way is to enable the RO2 logging console. You can do this by right clicking on RO2 in steam and select Properties. Next add -log in the launch options. Finally start RO2. A dos-like console window should display. If that indeed is the case, then RO2's executable does get started. The problem of the failure might then be present in the launch.log file.

Upvote 0
Can you download the Sysinternals Process Monitor? It can be found here.

It's a stand alone program that does not need any installation. Just download it and run the executable. Next run it. A Process Monitor Filter dialog should appear. Set the filter to:
Process Name - is - ROGame.exe then Include and click on OK.

Now start RO2 from out of steam. If correct, then lines should appear for ROGame.exe. If they don't, then the problems are either related to steam or your firewall.

Upvote 0
Syr i have a question not to this thread, but it would be really nice i someone culd tell me how to open a own thread because i am having serious truble with RO2. No tipps that i found in the internet worked.

a soon answer would be awesome

Hit the New Thread button while being in the RO2/RS Support section. The button is on the top-left and bottom-left of the page. Next enter a Title (short description of the problem that you encounter) and Message (detailed description with as many details as you can think of) and hit Submit New Thread.

Upvote 0

It's a stand alone program that does not need any installation. Just download it and run the executable. Next run it. A Process Monitor Filter dialog should appear. Set the filter to:

Now start RO2 from out of steam. If correct, then lines should appear for ROGame.exe. If they don't, then the problems are either related to steam or your firewall.
i did everything you said and lines ARE appearing but i can find any launch.log file anywhere and i even tried to run that file like he did and it worked for him but not for me and i even verified the integrity of game cache and it still doesnt work please help me

Upvote 0

I have done that and a list of processes have appeared but now what do i do?

Upvote 0
Same things happening to me. I had to reinstall the game since I got a new motherboard, and when I click play it says starting for a split second then disappears. This is the log.

Log: Log file open, 04/14/15 03:49:00
Init: Memory Profiling : Disabled
Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
Log: ... running in INSTALLED mode
Init: Version: 7258
Init: Epic Internal: 0
Init: Compiled (32-bit): Jan 12 2015 11:52:29
Init: Changelist: 641002
Init: Command line:
Init: Base directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win32\
Init: User engine INI not found. Creating one from the default INI
Log: Patching Game ini...
[0001.75] Init: Computer: GRAY-PC
[0001.78] Init: User: Gray
[0001.78] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=4
[0001.78] Init: High frequency timer resolution =3.704296 MHz
[0001.78] Init: Memory total: Physical=7.9GB Pagefile=15.9GB Virtual=4.0GB
[0011.25] Log: STEAMWORKS initialized 1
[0011.51] Init: WinSock: I am Gray-PC (192.168.1.128:0)
[0011.51] Init: Presizing for 0 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
[0011.67] Init: Object subsystem initialized
[0011.96] DevDataBase: Connection to "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=production-db;Initial Catalog=EngineTaskPerf;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Connection Timeout=2" or "10.1.20.20" failed
[0014.50] Critical: appError called: Alpha blending with D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F is not supported, which is required to run this game.
[0014.50] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The specified module could not be found. (126)

Edit: Works now, just had to restart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0