• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Fix] Steam is Required to Play the Game

danh

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2012
If you get this message when opening the SDK or Red Orchestra 2 then I have found a possible solution. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

1. Exit Steam
  2. Find steam folder. Usually it is here: Program Files (x86)\Steam
  3. Move/Cut the steamapps folder and save it somewhere else and rename it steamapps_backup THIS IS SUPER IMPORANT! This is where your games are.
  4. Uninstall Steam
  5. Re-install steam
  6. Rename steamapps_backup to steamapps and overwrite the existing steamapps inside the Steam folder.
  7. Open Steam

Last edited:
Thanks but still nothing.

Ive reinstalled the game
Ive redownloaded the game
Ive reinstalled steam
I have verified cache
I have deleted clientregister.blob
I have restarted steam/computer

I really dont know what else to do :( Wish the devs would have an answer. Maybe I'll call steam support and see if they can help (LOL)

Upvote 0
Thanks but still nothing.

Ive reinstalled the game
Ive redownloaded the game
Ive reinstalled steam
I have verified cache
I have deleted clientregister.blob
I have restarted steam/computer

I really dont know what else to do :( Wish the devs would have an answer. Maybe I'll call steam support and see if they can help (LOL)

It is a registry problem. Your registry says the game is not installed so that is why you get that error. Uninstalling steam is suppose to clear it up...

Upvote 0
Yeah I figured it was a registry error from uninstalling/reinstalling when I had a different error on start up.

So good news though. Today windows had an update and suddenly the game works. This makes absolutely NO sense to me but I am not going to argue with the game rofl. This is the first time I'll be able to play the game since buying it like a year ago. YAY

Upvote 0
I also have tried everything in this thread including the restore and nothing worked. Unfortunately my only restore point was from September and I think the issue existed before that. I basically don't play much in the summer but now that winter is approaching I NEED my game to run again. The last time I played it was fine, (like 2 months ago). Then I recieved a Steam and RO2 update and this happens. Nothing else has changed on my PC. Has anyone found anything else to try? This is killing me. All my other steam games are fine.

Upvote 0
FYI, the final fix for me was to uninstall steam and RO2, (again) and then delete everything related to both from the registry. Searched for "Steam", "RO2", "Red Orchestra", etc. and deleted it all and rebooted. Then reinstalled. It was a long arduos task but I am now back in action. Hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0