• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Computer running slow after exiting game?

Other than my name not displaying in game I haven't had a lot of technical issues with the game however every single time when i'm done playing and exit the game my computer runs terribly slow.

This doesn't happen with other games I play. I can even alt tab out in the middle of playing and windows works fine and I can even open a web browser or do other things. I only get this slow down when RO2 is closed.

Generally it stays slow for about 5-20 minutes after closing the game sometimes even longer.

AMD phenom II x4 955
gigabyte GA-790fxta-ud5 mobo
4gbs ddr3 ram
ATI 5770

After you exit RO2, then open the task manager and go to the Processes tab. Now click on the CPU column (might be called different depending your Windows language) and check which process is eating up your CPU time. If ROGame.exe is at the top, then it's indeed RO2, but it might also be steam.exe. Anyway, you first need to check which process is slowing down your PC by checking the above.

Upvote 0
How much of your total physical memory (RAM) are you using up when you play the game? How fast is your hard drive? What operating system are you using? Are any components overheating during gameplay?

RO2 uses about 2GB of memory on high settings and resolution last time I checked, and 4GB of RAM is not a whole lot to have when you've got a ton of memory-intensive processes running simultaneously. Having several tabs open in a web browser could use 1GB of RAM just by itself.

It could be that you already have a lot of programs or background tasks running in the background when you start your game and you run out of RAM while playing, causing the computer to dump the background processes into virtual memory a.k.a the hard drive's page file so that the RO2 process has enough memory. Then, after you've quit the game, the computer will purge the RO2 process from memory and start swapping the previous processes from the page file back into physical memory, a very drive-intensive process that could take a while and definitely slow down your computer depending on how long it takes and how fast your hard drive is. This is known as thrashing and can even make your desktop lock up if Windows has to swap important operating system information back and forth. One way to find out if this is the problem is to close down ALL background programs and processes before starting the game and seeing if your computer still slows down after exiting. If it doesn't slow down anymore, then you know what the problem is.

If it's an issue of running out of memory, then the problem will be even worse on Windows XP because its memory management is less efficient compared to Vista and 7.

I had this problem several years ago where my computer would actually freeze for a few minutes after exiting Battlefield 2 due to what I've just explained. Battlefield 2 was, at the time, just about the only game that used 1.5 GB of RAM at highest settings and I only had 1GB of physical RAM installed. After closing down the game, my computer would completely lock up as it frantically swapped back and forth between RAM and the hard drive. After upgrading to 2GB, the problem was cured and Windows was responsive immediately upon exiting BF2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I said the only game this happens with is RO2. Other unreal engine games I have like Bulletstorm or KillingFloor don't have this problem. I also, recently, have played dayZ(arma 2), Shogun 2 Total War, Team Fortress 2, and dead space 2 and this doesn't happen in those either.

I am on windows 7 64bit. Right after I closed the game I opened task manager and my processor was at 0-1% usage and the amount of ram used when the game is closed is 800mbs.

With the game running cpu usage fluctuates around 30-40% and ram is at 2.7gbs. This is with everything set on high(not ultra), 1600x900 res, AA on high, and post process on normal(not enhanced or war movie).

The only major thing running besides steam is microsoft security essentials(active protection on but not scanning). Honestly there are many processes running but most of them are ATI or microsoft processes.

Upvote 0
What you can try is installing SysInternals Process Monitor. It's a free tool and can be downloaded here. It's ready to use and does not need to get installed. What it does recording a lot of events on your computer.

To make a logging (for your case),

1. Open RO2
  2. Start the process monitor while RO2 being active
  3. Close RO2
  4. Keep logging until your PC becomes responsive again
  5. Save the process monitor log
Be aware that the log can become rather huge.

Upvote 0
Optimize the system services by creating a profile with minimal no of services. Services are nothing but the background processes. There are some services which are

not necessary. Such services should be stopped.

1. Press Windows Key + R.
2. Type "services.msc" in the Open textbox.
3. Click the OK button.
4. Right click a service you would like to terminate, and select Properties option.
5. Service Properties dialog will open.
6. Click the Stop button.
7. Select "Manual" from the "Startup Type" drop down box.
8. Click the OK button.
9. Do the same for all unnecessary services.

Use the Zombie Soft Fix. Select "computer runs slow" in the drop down box. Select the operating system from the subsequent drop down box. Follow the wizard.

Windows provides a way to optimize system settings for best performance. You can either customize Windows for best performance or best appearance. The former option

should be selected as shown below:

1. Right click Computer desktop icon.
2. Select Properties.
3. Click "Advanced system settings" link.
4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. Click Settings under Performance frame.
6. Click the Visual Effects tab.
7. Select "Adjust for best performance" option.
8. Click OK | OK.
9. Restart your computer for the changes to take effects.

Upvote 0