• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Creating a Listen Server in RO2: (?)

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
I honestly don't remember if I asked this before, or if someone else asked, or if there was ever an answer... but here it is anyways since I don't remember seeing an answer:

Last I "heard" you can't create a listen server in RO2... which is a shame, because I'd probably host my own listen server quite often and it would certainly open up more availability for others to play online without having to dish out piles of money for a Hosted Server or deal with playing on a server that's far away & has a ping of 200+ (when you have a friend not far away running a listen server on a decent system)

The other benefit for having the ability to create your own Listen Server is that if in your area of the world, the only servers available to play on are either:

A) Full or

B) running a Game Mode you don't enjoy (Action / Relaxed / Realism / ROC / TE / FF / CD)

..... you could create your own listen server to play online with others in your area who also enjoy the game mode in question.

It works in Killing Floor, Red Orchestra Ostfront & Red Orchestra Combined Arms.... so why doesn't it exist in RO2?

If I remember correctly, someone said that some ISP's don't like their users creating Listen Servers and will get them in trouble.... or something along those lines.

But even if that was the case, not all ISP's are like that and if indeed that was true, why aren't Listen Servers taken off of KF or RO1??

I just think having the option to create Listen Servers in RO2 would be more of a benefit than a draw back..... when I play KF, if I can't find a decent server, I create a Listen Server and within minutes, people start to pile in.

People used to pile into RO1 and ROCA for me as well when I created one.

So TW..... What's Up Wit Dat? :confused:

Listen server was a barely used feature in RO1, so I guess it's not missed by majority. The only time I used it was testing my maps with friends. Besides, it could be used to create servers for pirated copies, so I guess TWI doesn't miss it as well.

I respectfully disagree. We have used the RO1 listen server feature heavily at LAN parties and also for small private games over the internet. In fact, I used RO1's listen server feature last night for an Arad dust-up with some buddies! It works quite well in RO1 and I am sorely missing it in RO2. Who would run priated copies of RO1?...It's a $10 game. Seriously? My guess is it wasn't included in RO2 due to time restraints.

Anyway, Capt. Praxius, look here for basic server hosting http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57435. The issue was also discussed here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75646 with a step by step (by step by step by step by step by step by step LOL) list of instructions for setting up a listen server. It's doable but it's a royal pain in the a$$. A listen server button would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps the devs could weigh in on this?

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Listen server was a barely used feature in RO1, so I guess it's not missed by majority. The only time I used it was testing my maps with friends. Besides, it could be used to create servers for pirated copies, so I guess TWI doesn't miss it as well.

Pirated versions still require Steam functionality to play properly online, unless someone does some serious coding.... and with Punk Buster and VAC, I doubt they'd get very far.

And how would you know if it was a feature barely used in RO1? Besides someone noting it on the server listing, you wouldn't really know if a server was a dedicated or listen server.

I respectfully disagree. We have used the RO1 listen server feature heavily at LAN parties and also for small private games over the internet. In fact, I used RO1's listen server feature last night for an Arad dust-up with some buddies! It works quite well in RO1 and I am sorely missing it in RO2. Who would run priated copies of RO1?...It's a $10 game. Seriously? My guess is it wasn't included in RO2 due to time restraints.

Anyway, Capt. Praxius, look here for basic server hosting http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57435. The issue was also discussed here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=75646 with a step by step (by step by step by step by step by step by step LOL) list of instructions for setting up a listen server. It's doable but it's a royal pain in the a$$. A listen server button would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps the devs could weigh in on this?

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Cool thanks, I'll have to check it out for sure and see if I can get it working.... if it's not that much of a pain, I'm sure I'd use it regularly.

Or we can give you full control of a VERY fast 32 person server for $20 a month. But it's only worth it if you are in the U.S. :)
http://goodgamingservers.webs.com/game-servers

Yeah unfortunately, that wouldn't work too well for where I am, lol... but thanks none the less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never played RO1, but did have an opportunity to check out.
If I remember correctly, there was an option in the menu to setup a dedicated server, a listen server, or a LAN server.

Since I am part of a group of gamers who mostly play within our own group with passworded games, this would be a valuable tool for us.
We were quite happy to play 20 player games, (or even fewer players in other games) and have only our own people on TS having a good time without the worry of cheaters or idiots joining in.
We played with who we wanted, when we wanted and always had great games and a lot of fun.

I can't even get any of our group interested in RO2, but if we had the server options along with the missing co-op content, we would have another fair sized group of gamers playing RO2.

Even with the "so called easy" instructions to setup a dedicated server, no one is going to take the time to download tons of files, run programs, and make all kinds of changes to .ini files, when there are are other games to play that don't require computer knowledge that is above what the average player cares to do. (Most game already have the server options built in)

We have server boxes with fast internet that can easily handle 20 players and more, so if Tripwire wants to take the time to provide the server options in the game menu like that in RO1, and offer a better price for an aging game, I'm sure I could create some interest among our group.

I did find RO2 in the Gamestop online store for $19.99, (and they will match their online prices in store) but I still can't create any interest with RO2 in it's current state.

Upvote 0