• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] Automatic Crash Reporting Tool

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    With February patch of RO 2 we are adding in a tool to automatically send crash reports and relevant information to us. This tool will come up automatically when users crash out of the game and notify them that it would like to send us a report with the .dmp file, the .log file and information about the users computer configuration.

attachment.php

You'll see an example crash above. After seeing this and clicking OK, users will be presented with the crash reporter.

attachment.php

Users will have the ability to view these files that the tool would like to send and then confirm (or deny) the system to take the next step which is to upload those files to our systems.

attachment.php

It will attempt to first direct send us the files through two methods, and if they fail it will attempt to send an email instead. If it gets to that point it will require user confirmation to send an email through their default email client and account.

Users will also have the ability to export those files to manually upload them to a different location (such as the forums) if all else fails or if they would like to create a thread on a specific issue.

Of note this tool is NOT localized and is in English.

Attachments

• ExampleCrash.jpg
      ExampleCrash.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 2
    • CrashReporter.jpg
      CrashReporter.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 2
    • ReportFiles.jpg
      ReportFiles.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 2
    Now .. if you could include a program to create a report when the game hangs at the splash screen and doesn't load .. it would be perfect!! :)

Yes that would be nice indeed, however a hang and a crash are two completely different beasts. There are built in mechanisms to handle crashes, and software such as the above tool can tap into those mechanisms to provide extra information about the crash. A hang is pretty arbitrary, and needs to be debugged manually most of the time.

Having said that, we'll be adding some custom debugging code to narrow down the hang on splash screen issue that is plaguing some guys like yourself. I'll update the information in that specific thread when the update is out.

Upvote 0
    Yes that would be nice indeed, however a hang and a crash are two completely different beasts. There are built in mechanisms to handle crashes, and software such as the above tool can tap into those mechanisms to provide extra information about the crash. A hang is pretty arbitrary, and needs to be debugged manually most of the time.

Having said that, we'll be adding some custom debugging code to narrow down the hang on splash screen issue that is plaguing some guys like yourself. I'll update the information in that specific thread when the update is out.

I have worked on a project where we had unexpected hang-up problems too. What we did was adding a stand-alone tool that could be started to let the application crash while hanging. The resulting crash reports were then used to find the deadlock locations by looking at the stack traces. It's not fail save, but it will sure help to narrow down the source of a deadlock.

Upvote 0
    I have worked on a project where we had unexpected hang-up problems too. What we did was adding a stand-alone tool that could be started to let the application crash while hanging. The resulting crash reports were then used to find the deadlock locations by looking at the stack traces. It's not fail save, but it will sure help to narrow down the source of a deadlock.

Nice work Ducky!

If tripwire could implement such a tool, I believe it would help a ton of gamers who have given up even trying to launch their games any longer.
    There are over 14,000 views, so that would suggest there is a significant interest in this issue.

The "hang at splash screen" is a known issue or PUTZ wouldn't have started a sticky for it.

Maybe Tripwire could hire you to help find issues in RO2??
    It seems you have a lot of valuable knowledge and more importantly, you are willing to share with the community! :)

(I have read some of your other threads and posts)

Upvote 0
    I just went through the updates descriptions I missed since christmas, and even if most "what-I-consider-major" bugs weren't fixed, it feels like it will very slowly change.

RO2 will really need some kind of "Big Summer Update!" or something like that to bring all the thousands players who gave up on the game, it would be a shame to see the game finally fixed but lacking a playerbase bigger than 10 000 players. Especially since NS2, Tribes Ascend and the rest will be out of beta, there's competition around the corner.

In 2 weeks I get a full week of holidays, I think I'll go through all the bugs I found since beta, verify if they are still there, and sort them neatly in a new thread (with screenshots when possible). I think I'll feel better about the 2 DDE licenses I bought after that (my brother never used the second one after testing the game in a 6 hours session - we're both RO1 veterans), some kind of buyer's remorse therapy :p

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    This happens to me too! There are only a few maps that work. Pavlovs house, commisars house, etc. always crash to the desktop as soon or very soon after the match begins.

Is there a fix for this?

Half year has passed since that started happening. It also happens in the beta, with exeption of the new map. I don't know dude if this hell will ever be over for us; I just want to enjoy the full game.

Upvote 0
    That's a nice tool. I've crashed each time that I've tried to play RO2 this afternoon and the tool didn't come up once. I waited out the "RO.exe has stopped and windows is trying to find out why" windows and no tool; I cancelled those windows and no tool. Generally, once I figure out any 'bugs' that apply to my PC, I haven't had any crashes with RO1 or RO2. Is it my cologne?? ;)

Upvote 0
    recently lost everything on my computer thanks to windows fecking up and now after a full re install the crash tool no longer works and i crash 10 secs into all maps i have played some may work but def not commisars and pavlovs my 2 favorites!!! anybody found a solution yet (im gonna try a verify/reinstall now)

Upvote 0