• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Fix] Losing connection within 60 seconds? Thomson / BT / etc routers

Still having the "people running" issue

Still having the "people running" issue

I am aware that many people are having the issue where they join a server and after a few seconds people just keep running and it stops responding. I have tried the fixes listed here but they have not worked. Can someone please state if a fix is coming for this specific issue? I managed to get into a couple of games and had great fun, was the most immersive shooter I have played in a long time and I would really like to play more.

Upvote 0
Note that there are many different types of router problems, and not all of them are caused by this issue.

One that is very common is the NAT table (a table your router uses to figure out which computer on your network to send which data to) fills up due to server browser refreshes.

Many consumer routers have a much too small NAT table, so if you do a browser refresh, and there are thousands of servers on it, and it goes to ping each one, to tell you what your latency is, then the NAT table fills up, and you will have no internet connection for a little bit, until NAT table entries expire and there is unused space in the table for a new connection to register.

This problem is particularly bad with Verizon FiOS in the U.S., as the internet connections are very high bandwidth allowing a large number of connections in a very short period of time, yet the supplied Actiontec routers (at least earlier revisions) have very small NAT tables. Supplied Westell routers have much larger NAT tables.

This happens with a wide variety of consumer routers though, as many older models and some new ones simply aren't designed for the large number of concurrent connections required in order to poll thousands of servers for data in a refresh.

Here is some additional info on this subject from DSLreports.com.

So, essentially this is when you have an issue of "lost internet connection" during or immediately following server refresh.

There are a few ways to try to address this issue. Any one, or a combination of different ones may work for you. I will list the least expensive/difficult first.

1.) Go into Steam settings. Change bandwidth setting to a bandwidth much lower than what you actually have. This will make steam refresh fewer servers at a time, allowing the NAT table to clear out, and continue refreshing. It may slow down server refreshes, but at least it might not disconnect you.
(not complicated & free)

2.) Once you find a server you like, try manually connecting to it without ever doing a server browser refresh, following the directions below:

- Note the IP address of the server you like (eg. 70.42.74.39:7777)
- Next time you play the game, from the main menu don't click on any menu items
- Instead press the tilde (~) button to bring down the console.
- type "open <ip>" without quotation marks (eg. open 70.42.74.39:7777)
- you may need to try a few times if the server is full. Pressing up arrow allows you to return to the previous entry for expediency.
- once a connection is established, press the tilde (~) button again, to hide the console again.

(slight complication level, no cost)

3.) If your router is compatible, reflash it using a 3rd party firmware, like DDWRT. Then use the DDWRT settings to customise your NAT table size. This does involve a risk of bricking your router, and not all routers are supported.
(complicated , free)

4.) Replace your router with one that has a larger NAT table size, or one known to be compatible with DDWRT. This is not as straight forward as it might seem, as manufacturers don't tend to publish their NAT table sizes. Do research online before buying. For FiOS users, try calling Verizon and asking them to replace your Actiontec router with a Westell model.
(not complicated, but may involve some cost)

5.) The best solution to any routing problem is to not use consumer routers at all. One way to go about this is to use a spare old computer you have laying around (doesn't need to be fast at all, can be a family members old machine they are no longer using because it is too slow for them. an otherwise obsolete computer, essentially), and spend the money you would have spent on a high end consumer router, and instead buy a decent two port server network card or two high end (preferably Intel) network cards (the linked one is PCIe, make sure you have PCIe slots before buying) and install pfSense on it. This will be the best router you have ever owned, and you can manually configure the NAT table size to any size you want provided you have enough RAM. (mine is set to 1,000,000 entries, just to be on the safe side) Then just convert your old router into a dumb wireless access point for Wifi (or get one of these Ubiquity Unifi Access Points. They are fast, cheap, and put any consumer wireless access point to shame.)

Just make sure you don't use your on board network, as they tend to be terrible for high performance tasks like servers our routing, especially the Realtek branded ones.

(This solution is both complicated and involves some cost, but it will be by far the best.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have also a Thomson router and i can`t log into my router.
So that solution doesn`t work for me.

I select servers from resently played and favorites and also directly from steam.

This problem is already a long time because i had it with ROost from the
beginning.

Strange that steam doesn`t take a look into this problem. I know for
sure that many players have this problem.

Upvote 0
So, in short words said about the Thomson routers etc etc...

When you delete the masterfiles in your steam folder, you get
quickly all servers under ranked.
But after several minutes playing on a server you get a time out.

With the masterfiles of steam that you can download, you don`t see servers
under ranked but you have to choose a server under just played...

There must be a manner to better the master files.

Upvote 0
I got a thomson router here in the netherlands from the
telephone company kpn. And they have it impossible made to

So it is impossible to use the hint.

When i delete both masterserver files and start up steam after that i can see all servers under ranked and unranked.
After that there has been made a new masterserver file.

But then i get after 10 secs walking zombies etc. So i use the 2 masterserver files again that i downloaded from steam.

Maybe we can solve it by mixing both server files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ive followed this video but it seems i cant access my router settings via the command console. It just wont work. I havnt been able to play this game for months now. I would be eternally great full for anyone that can provide a fix. thanks
why can't you access your router settings from the console? is there a warning or something?
what router make and model are you using? i know jack about routers, but i'll try and help.

Upvote 0
Hi. Since I have a Thompson, I have this issue.

I tried the instruction on the video but the command Telnet do not work on the DOS console.

Whe I join into a server, i have the 60 sec. (aprox.) disconnect. I must type "reconnect" in the console and when the reconnection is done it work fin. But This happen every first connection. Sometimes the disconnect is too quickly and I cant reconnect, just use ctrl+alt+sup and force the close.

I need help, I dont know how to delete the masterfiles of steam folder, or try more thing to fix this sad issue.
thanks

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue.
I've tried writing "telnet 192.168.1.254" in MS DOS but i get "not recognized as an internal or external command", so i've tried putty, but when i log in it says "user "admin" is disallowed to login from lan to telnet".
I've got a thomson tg585 v8, all other games work fine.
I have no idea of what i should do.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue.
I've tried writing "telnet 192.168.1.254" in MS DOS but i get "not recognized as an internal or external command", so i've tried putty, but when i log in it says "user "admin" is disallowed to login from lan to telnet".
I've got a thomson tg585 v8, all other games work fine.
I have no idea of what i should do.

Same here. Have tried both the "telnet speedtouch" and "telnet 192.168.1.254" to no avail. Have made sure telnet services is running, too.

I get the following error every time: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed".

What is the refund policy(is there one?) if we can't get this sorted?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Peek

Upvote 0
Same here. Have tried both the "telnet speedtouch" and "telnet 192.168.1.254" to no avail. Have made sure telnet services is running, too.

I get the following error every time: "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed".

What is the refund policy(is there one?) if we can't get this sorted?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Peek

Had to buy a new router to solve the issue. Thanks for the support by Duck.

Peek

Upvote 0