• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

It's in documents/my games/ Red Orchestra 2. After last patch, my game would freeze at launch splash (CPU monitor showed 100%), had to task manager out of it. I installed latest ATI driver (11.11 I think), deleted all RO2 stuff I could find including the documents folder as above, then ran CCleaner (a registry/file checker program) then reinstalled the game, started it and again froze at splash screen, task manager'd out, then deleted again the documents/my games / Red Orchestra 2 folder again, restarted the game and.......it now works, have had to restart several times for graphics changes etc, but it is now working....so what "fixed" it?, donno....

Reactions: Quarantine
Upvote 0
It's in documents/my games/ Red Orchestra 2. After last patch, my game would freeze at launch splash (CPU monitor showed 100%), had to task manager out of it. I installed latest ATI driver (11.11 I think), deleted all RO2 stuff I could find including the documents folder as above, then ran CCleaner (a registry/file checker program) then reinstalled the game, started it and again froze at splash screen, task manager'd out, then deleted again the documents/my games / Red Orchestra 2 folder again, restarted the game and.......it now works, have had to restart several times for graphics changes etc, but it is now working....so what "fixed" it?, donno....

I have tried everything PUTZ suggested .. everything everyone else suggested .. everything you did and more.
Mine still hangs at the splash screen with an empty launch log.

Maybe I will try unistalling .. maunally clean the registry, and try one more time .. but it seems that someone from Tripwire could at least offer some suggestions for this long running problem.

Upvote 0
The only thing I did between the last splash freeze and the successful start was to delete the documents/my games/Red Orchestra 2 folder, makes you wonder if there is any chance there is/are corrupt files being installed in the documents....Red Orchestra 2 folder from some Steam content servers? At Lethall, you might want to add your system specs to your signature. I have heard that manually editing/cleaning your registry can be dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are doing, this program [url]http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html[/URL] is free and you can create a backup before you clean, just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
The only thing I did between the last splash freeze and the successful start was to delete the documents/my games/Red Orchestra 2 folder, makes you wonder if there is any chance there is/are corrupt files being installed in the documents....Red Orchestra 2 folder from some Steam content servers? At Lethall, you might want to add your system specs to your signature. I have heard that manually editing/cleaning your registry can be dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are doing, this program [URL="http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html"][URL="http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html"][URL="http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html"][URL="http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html"][URL="http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html"][url]http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL] is free and you can create a backup before you clean, just my 2 cents.

Thanks for taking the time to post oldslowguy.

I have been building gaming systems since 1997 and have listed my specs in several threads in these forums.

And yes, manually cleaning the registry can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, but I have done it many times with other games for several gamers.
You are correct though that one wrong deletion and you could end up with a computer that no longer boots.

I have used CCleaner for years and it is a good program for free .. and as you suggest .. make sure anyone who uses it to clean the registry backs up the entire registry first.
I have never had a problem, but there is a first time for everything.

Another program I use is Acronis True Image. (Or any good similar program can be used)
I normally backup my entire C: drive before installing any new patches, or other major changes.
If there is a problem, you can restore an image of the drive to the exact state before the change.
This also comes in handy when building a new computer.
I create new images after each step with installation, Win updates, drivers, etc.
Much easier to restore than to reformat and reinstall.

Thanks for the suggestions .. I will figure it out sooner or later.
It appears TWI is unable to find a solution as yet.

Upvote 0
Just to let you know .. I have installed RO2 on 2 older computers, and they both load and run fine.
I just can't get my gaming rig to get past the splash screen and can't seem to find a solution although this rig will run any other game I throw at it.
This one is running Xp pro and similar to one that works but is running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. (I hate Vista but it was free)
The other one that will run RO2 is a smaller older system I use for everyday tasks and is also running XP Pro.

So I have an E8400 Wolfdale @ 3.6 with XP Pro that won't launch.
An E8400 Wolfdale @ 3.6 with Vista Ultimate that runs fine.
(I used to use this for video editing and decided to try it out of curiousity)
An E5200 Wolfdale @ 3.3 with XP Pro that runs fine.

I just need to find out what the difference is, and the reason I have stayed with this is 2 fold.
1- I would like to run RO2 on my game machine
2- I would like to help the other gamers here who also have the splash screen issue find a solution for their problem.

Most don't have the luxury of owning several systems.

Reactions: oldslowguy
Upvote 0
I'm still suffering the problem, so unfortunately I still haven't found have a fix.

The only thing I can recommend is to keep your task manager open and watch the processes, if RO2 says 'Responding' then 'Not Responding' but then changes to 'Responding' again you know it's going to launch so you can close the TM and enjoy the game. If it stays on 'Not Responding' close it and relaunch the game. This saves me a few minutes of frustration, rather than waiting for it to crash every time.

Upvote 0
Well, the problem has returned...... Funny, after this post I started it again and left it "trying", after about 5 min it started up...go figure Edit:....it starts everytime but it takes about/more than 5 min of waiting at the splash screen. Edit: The game definitely runs better after the 12-8-11 update, still somewhat slow to start, but a bit better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems everyone including Tripwire has given up on this issue.
Most gamers with this problem have likely given up on the game and these forums long ago.

Yes, I have given up and have even stopped to try to start RO2. I still have subscribed to this thread, because deep in my heart there is still some hope. I see the money, that I have spent for the RO2 pre-purchase, as some sort of sponsoring for TWI. At least they brought me hours of fun with RO1 and KF.

Upvote 0
So I got the game today because I loved Killing Floor, and needless to say I was pretty surprised to see this problem. So after browsing around and trying a few web fixes, I finally came here, because I figured that this would be the obvious best place to go.

Are you honestly telling me that this problem has been around for THREE months, and there's no real warning about it. And to make it worse, the problem's just pretty much being ignored and swept under the rug?

I'll be demanding my money back, because this right here, this is some bull****, at least give a response you guys are aware this problem still exists, maybe warn the rest of us before we buy it that "HEY, pretty big issue here we still haven't fixed yet, just FYI"

Upvote 0
RO Dump Files

RO Dump Files

I know a lot of you are experiencing a freeze/hang/lockup soon after the RO2 splash screen appears. We need to know more about why it's stopping.

The first step is to enable your log.

To do this, go to Steam > Library > Right-click on RO2 > Properties > Set Launch Options

In the launch options window add "-log" without the quotes. Close and move on to part 2.

We also want you to unsuppress some logging information. If your game actually launches, it probably won't run very well. Again, this is mainly for people who actually get stuck at the screen all the time.

It does this .....

Navigate to documents\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\config and open ROEngine.ini.

Scroll down and you'll find a section with a lot of Suppress lines like so:

Code:
Suppress=Dev
Suppress=DevAbsorbFuncs
Suppress=DevAnim
Suppress=DevAssetDataBase
Please add a semi-colon in front of every Suppress line so it looks like this:

Code:
;Suppress=Dev
;Suppress=DevAbsorbFuncs
;Suppress=DevAnim
;Suppress=DevAssetDataBase
Once that is done, save the file and launch the game.

You should see a ton of logspam. This is normal. If it hard locks again or just sits there, please navigate to the log window itself and hit Ctrl+C to close it down gently.

Once that is done, please attach your .log and any .dmp files that are created in a post down below. Do not cut and paste.

Log & dump files can be found here: documents\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\logs

It crashes

Attachments

• Launch.log
    12 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2011.12.16-12.06.23.dmp
    274.5 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2011.12.16-11.51.57.dmp
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Launch-backup-2011.12.16-11.51.57.log
    12 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0