• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

RE: [Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

RE: [Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

Thing's that I get an empty log file, I've installed all prerequisites, and when I launch the game I get the game to HOG all my CPU power, and stay at ~18MB of memory used, no running or crashing whatsoever

I'm posting screenshots instead of logfiles, because the logs are empty.

Attachments

• RO2 Problem.jpg
    RO2 Problem.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
  • RO2 Problem 2.jpg
    RO2 Problem 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Can't start RO2 after patch

Can't start RO2 after patch

My splash screen doesn't hang, it shows up then the game crashes.

I see in previous posts you say that the fix won't be released until the next major update. When should I check back to play RO2?

EDIT:

Deleted the RedOrchestra folder in Documents/MyGames fixed the problem. Game runs now.

This worked enough so that the game gets past the splash screen. Now I cannot alt-tab out of game then get back into game.

Attachments

• unreal-v7258-2012.05.27-13.36.32.dmp
    247.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Launch.log
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Issue with number of cores it "thinks" you have

Issue with number of cores it "thinks" you have

This just worked for me, I can't believe it.

Forget anything you have read on this thread so far. Undo all of the changes you made and verify game cache before you begin this just to make sure you are at square one.

Now, go to start and type "msconfig", then go to the boot tab, advanced options.

If the box for "number of processors" is checked, UNCHECK IT. Hit ok, and you will need to restart your computer for this to take effect.

Run the game after a restart. This setting was preventing RO2 from seeing your processor cores I guess. This blows my mind.

I was also having a similar problem with Battlefield 3 which I bought the other day on Origin because RO2 wasn't working ;) This is now fixed as well.

I have a core i5-2500K cpu which is supposed to be 4 cores, but CPUZ told me it only had one. I had been shrugging this off for a while, since I have been able to play lots of demanding games for months. Crysis 2 on ultra, Skyrim, etc all played fine, but some games seem to be more sensitive about these things.

Somebody else who knows what they are doing with computers should look into it, I am new to my rig and overclocking so I can't explain why it was set at this "1 core" nonsense.

Hope this helps many people!

Upvote 0
This just worked for me, I can't believe it.

Forget anything you have read on this thread so far. Undo all of the changes you made and verify game cache before you begin this just to make sure you are at square one.

Now, go to start and type "msconfig", then go to the boot tab, advanced options.

If the box for "number of processors" is checked, UNCHECK IT. Hit ok, and you will need to restart your computer for this to take effect.

Run the game after a restart. This setting was preventing RO2 from seeing your processor cores I guess. This blows my mind.

I was also having a similar problem with Battlefield 3 which I bought the other day on Origin because RO2 wasn't working ;) This is now fixed as well.

I have a core i5-2500K cpu which is supposed to be 4 cores, but CPUZ told me it only had one. I had been shrugging this off for a while, since I have been able to play lots of demanding games for months. Crysis 2 on ultra, Skyrim, etc all played fine, but some games seem to be more sensitive about these things.

Somebody else who knows what they are doing with computers should look into it, I am new to my rig and overclocking so I can't explain why it was set at this "1 core" nonsense.

Hope this helps many people!

Thanks for sharing. I hope this solves some of the other peoples' problems as well. :)

Upvote 0
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=79455

Those freezing on the main menu, or who freeze on the welcome message for a server, look at page 2 and 3 of my thread.

There is clearly some issue with PB, the verification system of steam, or even RO2 itself, or a mixture of the 3.

Three PB files continue to be re-acquired after verifying cache after each start of game.

Deleting the PB folder in Ro2 has for those of us with this issue, allows us to play the game flawlessly. Albeit the ability to play on PB servers, which in a sense kills the game as very few server have no PB.

Upvote 0
This thread is for those of us who never get to the main menu or the welcome message on the server.

The issue gamers are having as explained in this thread, is that the game hangs at the spash screen and never launches.
Therefore, there is no launch log, and everyone has tried everything mentioned in this and every other thread in this forum.
The new patch was supposed to correct this issue and may have done so for some, but for many the problem still exists .. and in fact, I am now seeing many more who were previously able to play the game who now have the "hang at splash screen" issue.

Upvote 0
This thread is for those of us who never get to the main menu or the welcome message on the server.

The issue gamers are having as explained in this thread, is that the game hangs at the spash screen and never launches.
Therefore, there is no launch log, and everyone has tried everything mentioned in this and every other thread in this forum.
The new patch was supposed to correct this issue and may have done so for some, but for many the problem still exists .. and in fact, I am now seeing many more who were previously able to play the game who now have the "hang at splash screen" issue.

Exactly.

Upvote 0
Keeps Crashing

Keeps Crashing

I'm running windows xp and my computer has the capabilities to run this game but as soon as i reach the game menu I crash. Please help, havent been able to play since i purchased the game and i really want to play.
I've only been able to play on my Laptop and the game is way to "stuttery" to play.

Hope you can help, ThataidanguY:D

Attachments

• unreal-v7258-2012.06.10-19.43.56.dmp
    338.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Launch.log
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

I'm sorry that you can't play this game. But like I said before here in this thread, your computer has a single core CPU (AMD V160), while the minimum requirements for this game is a double core CPU. One core is used for the game and the other for the audio. I understand your disappointment, but it's unfair to say it's TWIs fault. If you buy a car that runs on diesel, will you then complain to the manufacture of that car because it doesn't run on benzine?

Upvote 0
I'm running windows xp and my computer has the capabilities to run this game but as soon as i reach the game menu I crash. Please help, havent been able to play since i purchased the game and i really want to play.
I've only been able to play on my Laptop and the game is way to "stuttery" to play.

Hope you can help, ThataidanguY:D

An almost similar problem has been reported here. AFAIK, the issue where the verify game cache reports 3 PunkBuster files has been solved, but still the thread maker can't run RO2 if PB is installed. Without PB installation it runs fine. My first suggestion is:

1. Open steam and select RO2 in the game library. Right-click and select "Delete local content". This will uninstall RO2.
  2. Exit steam.
  3. Go to your RO2 installation folder and delete it completely. That folder can be found somewhere in the steam tree.
    E.g.: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra 2
  4. Go to the RO2 user folder and delete it completely. It's the folder that is located in your Documents three.
    E.g.: C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2
  5. Restart steam and click on RO2 in the library tab. Select INSTALL.
    Steam should now download the latest RO2 release.
  6. After the download exit steam. Do not start RO2 yet!!!
  7. Go again to your RO2 installation folder (E.g.: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra 2). Make a backup of the complete red orchestra 2 folder (a copy-paste action would do). This way you don't need to re-download over and over again while trying to get your game to work.
  8. Restart steam and this time start RO2. If correct, then steam will start some 3 steps installation. At one point it will ask you to install PB. Skip that step. And after some time RO2 should start. It will probably tell you that PB is disabled and ask you to enable it. For now don't enable it.
  9. Try the game
Hope it helps! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An almost similar problem has been reported here. AFAIK, the issue where the verify game cache reports 3 PunkBuster files has been solved, but still the thread maker can't run RO2 if PB is installed. Without PB installation it runs fine. My first suggestion is:

1. Open steam and select RO2 in the game library. Right-click and select "Delete local content". This will uninstall RO2.
  2. Exit steam.
  3. Go to your RO2 installation folder and delete it completely. That folder can be found somewhere in the steam tree.
    E.g.: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra 2
  4. Go to the RO2 user folder and delete it completely. It's the folder that is located in your Documents three.
    E.g.: C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2
  5. Restart steam and click on RO2 in the library tab. Select INSTALL.
    Steam should now download the latest RO2 release.
  6. After the download exit steam. Do not start RO2 yet!!!
  7. Go again to your RO2 installation folder (E.g.: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra 2). Make a backup of the complete red orchestra 2 folder (a copy-paste action would do). This way you don't need to re-download over and over again while trying to get your game to work.
  8. Restart steam and this time start RO2. If correct, then steam will start some 3 steps installation. At one point it will ask you to install PB. Skip that step. And after some time RO2 should start. It will probably tell you that PB is disabled and ask you to enable it. For now don't enable it.
  9. Try the game
Hope it helps! :D
Thank you very much for the suggestion, soon as im home from this quite arse day at work ill give it a go.
Thanks again,
Thataidanguy:D

- It didnt even ask me to install PunkBuster so yeah, couldnt skip. No joy but cheers for the help :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just got the splash screen crash today. I don't recall any major changes to my PC since the last time the game ran so I am clueless on what to do. Hopefully the attachments will be of some help.

Edit: One file always fails to validate.

Edit2: Fixed this by deleting all INI stuff. Yay.

Attachments

• Launch.log
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2012.06.25-10.49.22.dmp
    181.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
please help

add more info

1201 - Time : 6/30/2012 6:55:01 AM
1202 - Source : Application Error
1203 - Description : Faulting application name: rogame.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4fe33879
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16850, time stamp: 0x4e21132b
Exception code: 0x00000001
Fault offset: 0x00009673
Faulting process id: 0x1540
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd564a357a2b70
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win32\rogame.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 74809436-c23d-11e1-8d1c-50e54930d638

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still hanging on splash

Still hanging on splash

I just bough the game yesterday and every time I start it I get hung up on the splash screen. Ive gone through all the forums and done pretty much every suggestion with 0 results. Is there any fix what-so-ever to get rid of this problem or did I just waste 20 bucks?

Upvote 0
If you tried everything suggested here and still hang .. you likely wasted 20 bucks.
I have been waiting since game launch .. nearly 10 months .. and still have no solution.
I wasted $40 so all I can say is .. Good Luck!

Tripwire did release a huge patch that helped some, but also created this same problem for other gamers who were previously able to launch.

Tripwire doesn't respond to anything in this thread any longer.

Upvote 0