• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

Should I remove the " ; " from the suppress file and remove the launch options first?
You can leave them in there.

Hi all,
similar problem here. I've had weird graphic bugs that had never been there before so I reinstalled and now I can't even launch the game so I ended up here.
Log reads as follows:

Thanx in advance and I hope I'm not in the completely wrong place here :rolleyes:

Looks like some files are corrupt. Verify game cache integrity and delete your config files from the my documents/rogame/config folder

Upvote 0
In your ROEngine.ini file, search for the line

bSerializeStartupPackagesFromMemory=TRUE

and set it to False. See if that works.

I did the change in the ROEngine.ini file, but it did not help. Still hangs at the "LoadStartupPackages" line, Launch.log exists with the correct timestamp, but is empty (0 bytes).

Upvote 0
In your ROEngine.ini file, search for the line

bSerializeStartupPackagesFromMemory=TRUE

and set it to False. See if that works.

I found the correct file in ROEngine.ini and changed it to False

Still hangs at the splash screen.

Sorry I didn't find the correct file on the first try, but somehow missed it.

At present .. I have set everything back to default settings so I don't get anything messed up on future changes you suggest,

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you for trying it out. In addition to setting bSerializeStartupPackagesFromMemory=False in the ini, can you also add "-NoLoadStartupPackages" (without the quotes) to the launch options for the game and give it a try.

In my case it did not help. Unfortunately my game acts nondeterministic. I never know if it will start or not. Today it started 5 times in a row and then 3 times not and then again. So I cannot say: if I do this it will start, if I do that it will not start. And I also think that I have no exotic PC, because I own many more or less modern games, with which there are no problems. (And I repeat that during the beta phase the problem did not exist for me.)

Upvote 0
I just encountered this issue for the first time, been playing since launch. Sometimes, I can boot the game, sometime it stalls at the splash screen. I just wanted to provide the following information: when it hangs, I noticed the following CPU commitment in taskmanager: Note, I have a dual core:

rogame.exe : 50 CPU
steam.exe: 50 CPU

I then have to kill the processes. When I am able to launch, steam.exe takes almost 0 CPU.

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you for trying it out. In addition to setting bSerializeStartupPackagesFromMemory=False in the ini, can you also add "-NoLoadStartupPackages" (without the quotes) to the launch options for the game and give it a try.

Somehow my post on this request doesn't show up.
I posted a couple of days ago, but no sign of my post here.

I did as you instructed redeye, launched RO2, left home for over 3 hours, and when I returned I was greeted with the same splash screen.

It did seem as if the hard drive was working harder for a period of time as if it was trying to load something, so not sure what that means.

Keep the ideas coming for us to try .. maybe we will get lucky!

Upvote 0
I've added some more debugging information and uploaded a new game executable here http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/testing/ROGame.rar

You will need to download that file, unrar it, and copy the ROGame.exe file into the following folder Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\Binaries\Win32 (overwriting the previous ROGame.exe file)

After this you'll need to do the following (as before).

Open up the ROEngine.ini file in Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config folder, search for the line Suppress=Init and if it exists add a semicolon before it such that it is now ;Suppress=Init. Save the file and launch the game. Once it hangs, upload your new log file here.

If you are unable to get a log file, modify the launch options as in step 1 and add "-log -windowed" without the quotes to the launch options. Now, when you launch the game a log widow should show up. Post the last few lines in your log when your game hangs.

Let me know what the log says now. Thanks!

Upvote 0

"Last few lines" with the new ROGame, when it hangs (log remains empty):
Code:
[0000.96] Init:                 OnlineSubsystemSteamworks
[0000.96] Init:         Finish GetNativePackageNames
[0000.96] Init:         Begin GetNonNativePackageNames
[0000.96] Init:         Finish GetNonNativePackageNames
[0000.96] Init:         Begin LoadNativePackages
[0000.96] Init:                 BeginLoad Core
[0001.12] Init:                 FinishLoad Core
[0001.12] Init:                 BeginLoad Engine

I also attached a log of a successful start. (Is this of any use for you?)

Attachments

• SuccessLaunch.log
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Code:
[0000.96] Init:                 OnlineSubsystemSteamworks
[0000.96] Init:         Finish GetNativePackageNames
[0000.96] Init:         Begin GetNonNativePackageNames
[0000.96] Init:         Finish GetNonNativePackageNames
[0000.96] Init:         Begin LoadNativePackages
[0000.96] Init:                 BeginLoad Core
[0001.12] Init:                 FinishLoad Core
[0001.12] Init:                 BeginLoad Engine

Great, seems like we've narrowed the problem down to the file which is causing the problem. The file in question is Engine.u inside Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\ROGame\CookedPC folder. As a sanity check, make sure the file is there. It should be 6,489 KB in size.

Let's see if Lethall has the problem with the same file (just to make sure). I'll look into this and let you know what the next steps are.

Could you also let me know which language you are using for the game - English or otherwise?

Upvote 0
Great, seems like we've narrowed the problem down to the file which is causing the problem. The file in question is Engine.u inside Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\ROGame\CookedPC folder. As a sanity check, make sure the file is there. It should be 6,489 KB in size.

Let's see if Lethall has the problem with the same file (just to make sure). I'll look into this and let you know what the next steps are.

Could you also let me know which language you are using for the game - English or otherwise?

My game language (as well as my whole Steam setting) is English and runs in a German Windows 7 Environment, since I am from Austria. But I usually prefer the original language, as long as I understand it. ;)

The file Engine.u is there and Windows tells me that it has about 6.644 KBytes.

Upvote 0
I've added some more debugging information and uploaded a new game executable here [URL="http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/testing/ROGame.rar"][url]http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/testing/ROGame.rar[/URL][/URL]

You will need to download that file, unrar it, and copy the ROGame.exe file into the following folder Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\Binaries\Win32 (overwriting the previous ROGame.exe file)

After this you'll need to do the following (as before).

Hey redeye,

I have 2 homes I travel between, both on the west coast of Florida about 150 miles apart.
I only brought 2 systems with me and didn't bring my gaming machine, so won't be able to provide the info you need until I return to the other home around Feb. 26th.
Sorry I didn't carry the gaming rig with me so I coud be of some help sooner.

There are tons of gamers out there with this problem, if there was some way to get them to return to forums and help with debugging.
After over 5 months, I'm sure most of them have moved on to something else and no longer visit these forums.

Not sure how you would get the message out to all of these gamers?

Upvote 0
hi just ambled in to see if there has been any progress on this very annoying issue that has meant I still haven't been able to get past the splash screen since purchasing this game.

Anyway gripe over followed your instructions redeye and here are the last few lines of windowed log. Still no log file as game doesn't launch.

[0001.98] Init: Begin GetNativePackageNames
[0001.99] Init: Core
[0001.99] Init: Engine
[0001.99] Init: Grip
[0001.99] Init: GameFramework
[0001.99] Init: IpDrv
[0001.99] Init: GFxUI
[0001.99] Init: ROGame_LOC
[0001.99] Init: ROGame
[0001.99] Init: OnlineSubsystemSteamworks
[0001.99] Init: Finish GetNativePackageNames
[0001.99] Init: Begin GetNonNativePackageNames
[0001.99] Init: Startup
[0001.99] Init: Finish GetNonNativePackageNames
[0001.99] Init: Begin AsyncPreloadPackages
[0002.01] Init: Finish AsyncPreloadPackages
[0002.01] Init: Begin LoadNativePackages
[0002.01] Init: BeginLoad Core

Hope this can be of use to me, you and many other frustrated gamers :)

Copy & pasted windowed log is here View attachment log file.txt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who has posted the logging information with the debug ROGame.exe file. As I mentioned earlier that has helped us to understand the problem.

We would like to try out a fix for it but since it will require a full content update (~3GB) we won't be able to push that out in the live build just yet. We plan to test it out first in the beta (which will start soon to test out the RO Classic changes). I'll post any updates on this thread as they become available.

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who has posted the logging information with the debug ROGame.exe file. As I mentioned earlier that has helped us to understand the problem.

We would like to try out a fix for it but since it will require a full content update (~3GB) we won't be able to push that out in the live build just yet. We plan to test it out first in the beta (which will start soon to test out the RO Classic changes). I'll post any updates on this thread as they become available.

Did not work in my case. Now the Beta behaves like my full version, which means that it only starts from time to time. And I repeat - this was not the case during the very first Beta phase.

Upvote 0
Did not work in my case. Now the Beta behaves like my full version, which means that it only starts from time to time. And I repeat - this was not the case during the very first Beta phase.

The potential fix I was talking about isn't out in the beta yet. I'll update this thread when we are ready to start testing that change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0