• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

I was really hoping those files wouldn't be there, but unfortunately, they are.

Copied from my CookedPC folder:

GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.bin
GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.bin

There are 5 folders and 45 files in the CookedPC folder.

Thanks for trying Redeye .. I really do appreciate that you are attempting to find a solution.

Please keep digging!
I will attempt to try anything you think may help.

Upvote 0
I was really hoping those files wouldn't be there, but unfortunately, they are.

Copied from my CookedPC folder:

GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.bin
GlobalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.bin

There are 5 folders and 45 files in the CookedPC folder.

Thanks for trying Redeye .. I really do appreciate that you are attempting to find a solution.

Please keep digging!
I will attempt to try anything you think may help.

No, thanks to you for your tenaciousness :)

Let's try this. If haven't done this before, delete those 2 files, then verify your cache integrity through steam and then try to launch the game.

Upvote 0
Let's try this. If haven't done this before, delete those 2 files, then verify your cache integrity through steam and then try to launch the game.

Since I am also one of the guys who have the "splash screen problem" and have this thread subscribed, I tried it out and it did not help. It remains as it was always after the release: sometimes it will start, sometimes not. (During the beta this never happened.)

Upvote 0
Thanks for trying that out. Let's try this now.. Delete the files in the following directory and then verify integrity through steam.

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\Engine\Shaders

Just as a heads up, I'll add some custom debugging for this problem in the next patch and that'll help us further narrow down the issue if it is not solved by then. I know it's been a long time, but don't give up now guys.. let's get this sorted out once and for all!

Upvote 0
No, thanks to you for your tenaciousness :)

Okay .. tried deleting both files and verified.
Both files failed to verify and were reinstalled.
Launched and waited for about 10 minutes, with the same result.

Will now try your next suggestion!

Upvote 0
Okay .. tried deleting both files and verified.
Both files failed to verify and were reinstalled.
Launched and waited for about 10 minutes, with the same result.

Will now try your next suggestion!

Did you try the following as well?

Thanks for trying that out. Let's try this now.. Delete the files in the following directory and then verify integrity through steam.

Just as a heads up, I'll add some custom debugging for this problem in the next patch and that'll help us further narrow down the issue if it is not solved by then. I know it's been a long time, but don't give up now guys.. let's get this sorted out once and for all!

Upvote 0

Thanks .. but this didn't work either.

It is nice to have someone trying to help us.
In the past it seemed as if we were pretty much being ignored.

At least now, maybe there is still hope for a fix.

Upvote 0
Thanks .. but this didn't work either.

It is nice to have someone trying to help us.
In the past it seemed as if we were pretty much being ignored.

At least now, maybe there is still hope for a fix.

Same here. I would happily provide debug info if some will be created (up to this date dmps were only created in case of a crash on my system, but not in case of the "spalsh screen issue").

Upvote 0
After the new update you can try the following additional things.

1. Modify the game's launch options by going to properties and then Set Launch Options, and then add "-skipverifyshaders" without the quotes, and then try to launch the game.

2. If that doesn't work, open up the ROEngine.ini file in Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config folder, search for the line Suppress=Init and if it exists add a semicolon before it such that it is now ;Suppress=Init. Save the file and launch the game. Once it hangs, upload your new log file here.

If you are unable to get a log file, modify the launch options as in step 1 and add "-log -windowed" without the quotes to the launch options. Now, when you launch the game a log widow should show up. Post the last few lines in your log when your game hangs.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
add "-log -windowed" without the quotes to the launch options. Now, when you launch the game a log widow should show up. Post the last few lines in your log when your game hangs.

When it hangs, no log is created. Here my "last few lines":

Code:
[0000.62] Init: Initializing FaceFX...
[0000.62] Init: FaceFX 1.7.3.1 initialized.
[0000.66] Init: Begin VerifyShaderSourceFiles
[0000.66] Init: Finish VerifyShaderSourceFiles
[0000.66] Init: Begin GetGlobalShaderMap
[0000.71] Init: Finish GetGlobalShaderMap
[0000.71] Init: Begin LoadStartupPackages

This is what it looks like if the game is willing to start:

Code:
[0000.53] Init: Begin VerifyShaderSourceFiles
[0000.53] Init: Finish VerifyShaderSourceFiles
[0000.53] Init: Begin GetGlobalShaderMap
[0000.56] Init: Finish GetGlobalShaderMap
[0000.56] Init: Begin LoadStartupPackages
[0000.66] Init: Waited 0.088 sec for async package '..\..\ROGame\CookedPC\Core.u' to complete caching.
[0008.17] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:RegisterLocalTalker
[0008.19] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:ResetStats
[0008.29] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:GetNumberOfCurrentPlay
ers
[0008.38] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:GetCurrentVOIPLevel
[0008.49] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO1License
[0008.49] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO2Preorder
[0008.49] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO1License
[0008.49] Warning: Warning, Failed to load Outer for resource 'ReturnValue': Function OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.OnlineSubsystemSteamworks:HasRO2Preorder
[0010.57] Init: Finished loading startup packages in 10.01 seconds
[0010.57] Init: Finish LoadStartupPackages
[0014.12] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Texture2D EngineMaterials.RandomMirrorDisc': Failed to find object 'Texture2D EngineMaterials.RandomMirrorDisc'
[0014.14] Init: UEngine initialized
[0014.15] Init: XAudio2 using 'Lautsprecher (Creative SB X-Fi)' : 6 channels at 48 kHz using 32 bits per sample (channel mask 0x3f)
[0014.21] Init: XAudio2Device initialized.
[0014.92] Init: Client initialized
[0015.76] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Class ROGame.ROUIScenePickupSelect': Failed to find object 'Class ROGame.ROUIScenePickupSelect'
[0015.76] Warning: Warning, Failed to find object 'Class ROGame.ROUIScenePickupSelect'
[0015.98] DevMemory: Virtual  memory allocation size: 194.64 MByte (204091392 Bytes)
[0016.46] Warning: Warning, Failed to load 'Class ROGame.ROUIScenePickupSelect': Failed to find object 'Class ROGame.ROUIScenePickupSelect'
[0016.46] Warning: Warning, Failed to find object 'Class ROGame.ROUIScenePickupSelect'
[0016.48] Init: Game engine initialized

There is still hope... ;)

Upvote 0
Here is mine except the game never starts so I don't have a log:

Last few lines:

[0002.48] Init: Machine detected compatibility level: Composite: 4. CPU: 5. GPU: 4.
[0002.48] Init: Previous detected compatibility level: Composite: 4. CPU: 5. GPU: 4
[0006.34] Init: Initializing FaceFX...
[0006.50] Init: FaceFX 1.7.3.1 initialized.
[0006.76] Init: Begin VerifyShaderSourceFiles
[0008.21] Init: Finish VerifyShaderSourceFiles
[0008.21] Init: Begin GetGlobalShaderMap
[0008.43] Init: Finish GetGlobalShaderMap
[0008.43] Init: Begin LoadStartupPackages

@ fafner

How did you copy the files from the DOS box in here??

I couldn't find a way to do that.

Edit:
Never mind .. I think I figured it out after posting.
I'm a little slow sometimes!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It took me also more than one try. ;)

Hey fafner,

Just watched the RnL video and it really looks interesting with a huge map.
Lots of detail, and I thought the German roll was pretty cool .. don't think I have ever seen that in another game.
Weapons look good and gun sounds are very good also.

Are there many players, and is it possible to setup your own server, or is it online only using a provided server?

I might have some gamers who would be interested in giving it a try, but haven't sent out the info as yet.

Nice work for a small dedicated team!

Will check it out soon.
Thanks for the link!! :)

Upvote 0
Hi all,
similar problem here. I've had weird graphic bugs that had never been there before so I reinstalled and now I can't even launch the game so I ended up here.
Log reads as follows:

Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
Log: ... running in INSTALLED mode
Init: Version: 7258
Init: Epic Internal: 0
Init: Compiled (32-bit): Feb 6 2012 13:10:19
Init: Changelist: 641002
Init: Command line: -log -windowed
Init: Base directory: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\binaries\win32\
[0000.10] Init: Computer: DAVID-RECHNER
[0000.10] Init: User: David
[0000.10] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=4
[0000.10] Init: High frequency timer resolution =3.139414 MHz
[0000.10] Init: Memory total: Physical=8.0GB Pagefile=16.0GB Virtual=4.0GB
[0000.22] Log: STEAMWORKS initialized 1
[0000.25] Init: WinSock: I am David-Rechner (192.168.178.26:0)
[0000.25] Init: Presizing for 132448 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
[0000.25] Init: Object subsystem initialized
[0000.28] DevDataBase: Connection to "Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=production-db;Initial Catalog=EngineTaskPerf;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Connection Timeout=2" or
"10.1.20.20" failed
[0006.36] Warning: Warning, Detected data corruption [header] trying to read 1048365 bytes at offset 72781937 from '..\..\ROGame\CookedPC\ROGame.u'. Please dele
te file and recook.
[0006.36] Warning: Warning, Detected data corruption [incorrect uncompressed size] calculated 1728053248 bytes, requested 1048365 bytes at offset 72781937 from
'..\..\ROGame\CookedPC\ROGame.u'. Please delete file and recook.
[0006.36] Warning: Warning, Detected data corruption [undershoot] trying to read 1048365 bytes at offset 72781937 from '..\..\ROGame\CookedPC\ROGame.u'. Please
delete file and recook.
[0006.36] Warning: Warning, Detected data corruption [incorrect uncompressed size] calculated 1728053248 bytes, requested 1048365 bytes at offset 72781937 from
'..\..\ROGame\CookedPC\ROGame.u'. Please delete file and recook.
[0006.36] Error: Objects StructProperty ROGame.ROPawn:playerHitZones and FloatProperty ROGame.ROProjectile:RadialDamageFalloffExponent have duplicate NetIndex 0

Thanx in advance and I hope I'm not in the completely wrong place here :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
In your ROEngine.ini file, search for the line

bSerializeStartupPackagesFromMemory=TRUE

and set it to False. See if that works.

Didn't find that line in ROEngine.ini, but I did find it here:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\ROGame\Config
[Engine.StartupPackages]
bSerializeStartupPackagesFromMemory=True

Change to False .. but still hangs.

Am I in the wrong place?

Thanks for hanging in there redeye!

Upvote 0