• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

As many other guys here, I bought this game but the game on the start get stuck on the first loading window.

I did everything you said to get a log. I get a damn blank log.

Since the lunch.log file is empty I'm going to upload the archieve files, because I have uninstalled 2 times this game with the hope to repair the problem without solving it.

What is your desktop resolution? If you haven't done so already, delete your config files from the Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config folder.

Upvote 0
I just bought this game yesterday, my computer is more then capable to play this game no problem. Yet I'm having this hang up at the splash screen were 2 of my friends are not. Has this really been happening for 3 months? with no real fix other then luck?

If your game generated dmp files in the Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Logs directory, post them here.

Upvote 0
I have just fixed my crash at splash screen.

got to

c/users/..../MyDocuments/MyGames/RedOrchestra2/ROGame/Config

open ROEngine.ini with notepad

find the [SystemSettings] section

SpeedTreeLeaves=True
SpeedTreeFronds=True
OnlyStreamInTextures=False
LensFlares=True
FogVolumes=True
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
OneFrameThreadLag=True
UseVsync=False
UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
Fullscreen=True <----------changed to False
AllowD3D10=False
AllowRadialBlur=True
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
ParticleLODBias=0
DetailMode=2

Once you do this the game will boot up in windowed mode. When it reached
the splash part a message popped up from my virus scanner asking me to
'Allow' the game to do something. Once I allowed it the game booted up fine.
You may want to try joining a multiplayer game to make sure there are no
additional prompts from you virus scanner before using Video settings under
Options in game to set back to fullscreen mode.

Please note, I could not see these virus scanner pop-ups even after using
ctrl+alt+del to get back to my desktop at the splash screen. The game just
seemed to hang.

Hope this helps.

Just wanted to give this a bump as well as I have a feeling that some people's issue could be related. You can also also modify the launch options for the game in steam to launch the game in windowed mode.

Right click the game in steam library, go to properties, select Set Launch Options and then add "-windowed" in the there (without the quotes)

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to post on this issue, Redeye.

I have tried everything listed in this thread including windowed mode and nothing has worked.
Do you have any other suggestions for creating a launch log?

Maybe the patch you mention will offer a solution for some with this issue.

Anything on the missing content yet .. online campaign, co-op, etc.?

It is nice to see that someone from Tripwire at least took the time to respond to the issues in this thread .. I do appreciate that and it does add a little level of encouragement.

Good luck with future fixes and updates!

Reactions: [TW]redeye
Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to post on this issue, Redeye.

I have tried everything listed in this thread including windowed mode and nothing has worked.
Do you have any other suggestions for creating a launch log?

Maybe the patch you mention will offer a solution for some with this issue.

Anything on the missing content yet .. online campaign, co-op, etc.?

It is nice to see that someone from Tripwire at least took the time to respond to the issues in this thread .. I do appreciate that and it does add a little level of encouragement.

Good luck with future fixes and updates!

You are welcome, and thanks for your patience as well.

Although the problem looks like the same on the surface, the reason behind that is not the same for each person. That is the reason why I've responded to the posts individually. I hope the patch works for you as well. However, do you mind posting your computer specs again here? Please mention the resolution of your desktop and if you have any special monitor setup as well.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
You are welcome, and thanks for your patience as well.

Although the problem looks like the same on the surface, the reason behind that is not the same for each person. That is the reason why I've responded to the posts individually. I hope the patch works for you as well. However, do you mind posting your computer specs again here? Please mention the resolution of your desktop and if you have any special monitor setup as well.

Thanks.

Sorry this took so long to get back to you!

I haven't built any new gaming systems in 2-3 years (except for friends or relatives) because to be honest, there just haven't been any FPS worth investing the money into a new rig (at least for me) and the one I have now will run anything I throw at it .. except RO2 won't launch.
(I installed Ostfront out of curiousity and it loads and runs fine)

I also have 5 rigs at present, plus a gaming laptop, and RO2 will load and run on a couple of my other very similar systems, and I can't seem to figure out the difference between my main gaming machine and the ones it works on.

But here are my specs as close as I can remember.
I am away from home and don't have that system with me:

Antec 900 case
Rosewill 850 Watt EXTREME (quad 12 volt rails with 20 amps on each)
EVGA 750i SLI MB
Core 2 duo E8400 @ 3.6
Zerotherm dual fan CPU cooler
4 GB Geil DDR 2 1066 memory
BFG GTX 275 OC graphics
Auzentech HT Omega 7.1 sound
2 Seagate Barracuda 320 HDD in Raid 0
3 Samsung .. DVD burners/drives
Win XP Pro
I have 2 - 28" monitors and have tried both.
Hanns-G and Hannspree .. 1920 x 1200 desk top resolution on each.
I also have some 22" monitors but haven't tried them.

On a very similar system that also has an E8400 @ 3.6, (but runs Vista 32 bit) I run the game at 1680 x 1050 with most everything on high and it runs very well.
It will also load and run on an old system, with an E5200 @3.3 and XP Pro

I run all of these systems on stock voltage with very low temps.
Boosting the voltage to get higher clock speeds results with temps starting to climb, and it isn't worth it to me to increase heat.

That is why I really haven't pushed this issue, (because I can run RO2 on other systems) but try to stay with this thread to see if I can help all the other gamers who can't launch RO2 (or crash at launch) and aren't fortunate enough to have an extra system to try.

I am still willing to try anything you suggest to be able to create a launch log if that will help.
Good luck with finding solutions that help everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im just curious, Have you tried waiting....and waiting...and waiting? See my post above.

Hey oldslowguy,
Yes I have left it on the splash screen for way over an hour and nothing happens.
Everything on my system still functions but very slowly because RO2 is using around 98% of the CPU.

If Tripwire doesn't come up with a solution, the only thing I know to do is throw in another hard drive, (temporarily disconnect the ones in there now) and install a new OS, then new updates, and drivers .. well, it would be like building a new computer.

I really don't want to format the existing drives and start over, as everything else runs so great, and I don't want to have to reinstall the games that work so well at present.

Just not motivated enough to do all that.

As I mentioned, I can play on another system if I want, so I guess I will just wait.....................

Thanks for the suggestion though .. I did try it when you posted.

Upvote 0
I randomly come to visit this thread and am glad to see someone from Tripwire is helping the people now! :)
My game has the same symptoms as Lethall's

My resolution is 1366x768 ...

Not related PS: It is not really enjoyable, when you are looking for help and game support on an official forum to get my nickname here labelled "SNOUPS4 sucks" whereas I would have the right to say the same about Tripwire being slow at solving the problems of a game we bought... Anyway, now that someone showed interest, I am, like I said, glad and won't be mean or angry towards anyone. I just wanted to point out that this notification was maybe not useful on the forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I randomly come to visit this thread and am glad to see someone from Tripwire is helping the people now! :)
My game has the same symptoms as Lethall's

My resolution is 1366x768 ...

Not related PS: It is not really enjoyable, when you are looking for help and game support on an official forum to get my nickname here labelled "SNOUPS4 sucks" whereas I would have the right to say the same about Tripwire being slow at solving the problems of a game we bought... Anyway, now that someone showed interest, I am, like I said, glad and won't be mean or angry towards anyone. I just wanted to point out that this notification was maybe not useful on the forum.

I seems the people at Tripwire are working on major issues, but for many, the subject of this thread is also a major issue, and one recognized by Putz in the beginning of this thread:

I know a lot of you are experiencing a freeze/hang/lockup soon after the RO2 splash screen appears. We need to know more about why it's stopping.

After over 3 1/2 months it seems that there would have been at least some suggestions for creating a launch log, (in addition to the original) or other possible solutions that gamers with this issue could at least try.

The solution is likely a simple one, but no one has stumbled on that solution as yet.

I recall that COD:WaW had a similar issue, and was resolved by deleting a .bik video file that was stopping the game from loading on many machines.

It would be nice if it was something that simple with RO2 and someone could figure it out.

Anyway .. good luck on finding a solution, Yoshira!!!

Upvote 0
I have 2 - 28" monitors and have tried both.
Hanns-G and Hannspree .. 1920 x 1200 desk top resolution on each.
I also have some 22" monitors but haven't tried them.

Can you try your 22" monitors to see if that helps? You can also try reducing your desktop resolution to say 1680x1050, delete your config files and then launch the game.

That is why I really haven't pushed this issue, (because I can run RO2 on other systems) but try to stay with this thread to see if I can help all the other gamers who can't launch RO2 (or crash at launch) and aren't fortunate enough to have an extra system to try.
Thanks, I'm sure the community appreciates it!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response Redeye.

I just spent over 2 hours trying everything you suggested and more.

Reduced resolution on my 28" monitor first
Deleted every ini folder I could find and 21 files were re-installed.
Tried a 22" monitor @ 1680 x 1050, then even went down as low as 800 x 600.
Even tried reducing to 16 bit.

After each change I let the splash screen sit for at least 5-10 minutes.

Is there a way to start RO2 in safe mode?
I tried adding "-safemode" in Set Launch Options, but got the same result.

I remember that COD:WaW had an option to start the game in safemode, and if there was a problem during the game, it would automatically ask if you wanted to start in safemode when the game was restarted.
That way you could always get back into the game menu and make changes if necessary.

I do appreciate that you at least gave us something to try.
Maybe it will help someone.

I would rather try something and fail .. than to try nothing and succeed!

Upvote 0
As you can see by the number of views on this thread, there are a lot of gamers with the splash screen problem.
My gaming rig has not been able to get past the splash screen since day one and I have tried everything mentioned here and much more.

I think most other gamers with this problem have just given up and are gone from here.

I just keep checking back from time to time to see is there has been a solution, or even something else to try.

Good luck!! .. At least you can create a launch log .. that's more than most gamers posting in this thread can do.

Upvote 0