• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Linux Servers

Want to say adios

Want to say adios

Actually we decided to cancel our windows server. On February 7th we are out. We call it passive resistance. In our opinion actually we have to make to many compromises with ro2.

1. We have no linux files.

2. The game is in the actuall phase not attractive enough. Only 2 tanks available, too less maps are two reasons of it. Its starting to get boring.

If tripwire will make this game more attractive we will probably be back. In my opinion this will take a year. That there are no linux bins is a punsh in the face.

We wish tipwire a great success with ro2 and that it will get the good old taste of ro1.

Best Regards
PGD-Panzerkurt.:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Every gaming server I have ever hosted has been on linux. (all of them either HLDS or SRCDS)

Its much more efficient, stable and secure, and without the overhead of the gui the same hardware performs better.

This is before we even start to talk about the ease of managing. Its much easier to SSH into a linux box than it is to have to mess around with remote gui screen management.

A linux dedicated server would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
I don't know hardware specifications, but i can say that on wednesday night, GaryBourbier's server managed to fill with 64 players, but performance has severely decreased after 50-55 players.

yeah, that's the tricky part. That's where most servers start to feel the pain due to CPU limitations. Running the abstraction layer of Wine in between the linux OS and the game server software probably only exacerbates things, as it is far from memory or CPU cycle free.

Upvote 0
yeah, that's the tricky part. That's where most servers start to feel the pain due to CPU limitations. Running the abstraction layer of Wine in between the linux OS and the game server software probably only exacerbates things, as it is far from memory or CPU cycle free.

There are far better virtualization types for server virtualization. Meaby Xen with DomX running Win$erver, or KVM for desktop people. These two offer native virtualization (KVM with Qemu) so it should be much faster than Wine.

I still hate to use Win$ for servers. So if there is something new from devs to say about linux bins, I would be loved to hear it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0