• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server RO2 DDE Beta Server Hosting General Info

Upvote 0
What is HLDS ????
How do I get the server files & how do I set up a server.
TWI, can you be a bit clearer in the instructions PLEASE!

From what I understand the serverfiles are already downloadable but it is totally unclear from where or how.
Be aware I am not at all familiar with setting up a RO or steam based server.

HLDS is the installer tool you use to install dedicated servers with in many steam games. I believe I used it before for counter strike source.

Just do a search or look up some wiki, finding info on how to use hlds if you never used it before shouldn't be hard.

Upvote 0
I have access to a datacenter with 100Mbit up and down connection and static IP's and I am interested in giving hosting a try... I have a few questions.

Bandwidth.
What is the peak upload / download rate.

Still a little confused about performance and I re-read the post.

Is it that the client isn't really multi-threaded therefore it uses up 1 core @ 100% and a little bit other cores ?

For example can I build a dual core Athlon II @ 3.3Ghz and have one 64 player server running 2 cores @ 80% stable (for example)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have access to a datacenter with 100Mbit up and down connection and static IP's and I am interested in giving hosting a try... I have a few questions.

Bandwidth.
What is the peak upload / download rate.

Still a little confused about performance and I re-read the post.

Is it that the client isn't really multi-threaded therefore it uses up 1 core @ 100% and a little bit other cores ?

For example can I build a dual core Athlon II @ 3.3Ghz and have one 64 player server running 2 cores @ 80% stable (for example)

Thanks.

The post is completely concerning game servers and not clients. The main "game" thread (basically the "big" thread) of the game server takes up most of one core of the machines that I listed at the player counts I have listed. The main thread WILL NOT split across multiple cores. If you don't have a fast enough clock speed/CPU performance, you can't run 64 players, it doesn't matter how many cores you have.

Upvote 0
Got it. Thanks.

In this case would it be possible to have 2x 50-64 player server on the high end xeon listed ?

2 main threads taking 2 cores entirely + 2 other threads running whatever else takes just a bit of other tasks ?

1 Core of a Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4 GHZ (3.8 GHZ actually with Turbo enabled) or equivalent (i.e. the server process will take most of 1 core, with a few smaller threads on other cores)
Also trying to figure if it is possible to build a single 50 people server out of a highly clocked good architecture yet cost effective dual core like an I3 or a PhenomX2

Also another question for testing purpose, can I run a server with 32 - 64 bots for CPU usage.
If that is possible, would the bots take about the same cpu usage or a good amount more ?

If the numbers are to my taste, I will give it a shot and gladly post the hardware specs picked and results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Do you think these server specs would be good enough to run a 64 player server?

2 x Intel Xeon 5620 Quad Core @ 2.4GHz (Passmark CPU score 4615)

9GB ram

Windows Server 2008 64bit Standard

250GB (OS) & 500GB (Games) drives

100mb net

Well it most likely but you haven't stated your graphics card which is the most important aspect in needed to run a game and how can you have 9GB of ram you can only have even numbers of ram or else your pc will crash so im a bit confused my self?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well it most likely but you haven't stated your graphics card which is the most important aspect in needed to run a game and how can you have 9GB of ram you can only have even numbers of ram or else your pc will crash so im a bit confused my self?

He could easily have 3x 3GB sticks :p

But anyways, he's talking about a server box (run his server on), not an actual gaming machine to run the game.

Upvote 0
He could easily have 3x 3GB sticks :p

But anyways, he's talking about a server box (run his server on), not an actual gaming machine to run the game.

Correct, I'm not worried about my gaming machine not running it (it can run that + more easily :) ). Just hoping that the dual Xeons will be good enough to run a 64 man server + a COD4 server and a few others when other games come out.

Upvote 0