• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Winners Announced in Rising Storm $25,000 "Banzai" Community Mapping Contest!

@ Draper: Rising Storm contains ROH, so no reason to become a nitpicker here. Do you have a ROH map you wanted to contribute?

I was under the impression since it started, that this was for rising storm, much like the previous comp was for RO2 maps.

It you read everything in relation to the competion, minus the actual terms and conditions it clearly comes across as being Rising storm only.

From the forum announcement:
In light of this success we decided to continue Tripwire Interactive's tradition of supporting our modding community with a mapping competition for Rising Storm. Last year's contest for Red Orchestra 2 produced an amazing selection of new community-made maps, so we are expecting great things from the Rising Storm mapping contest.

From there Competion front page"
Tripwire are once again bringing you a truly spectacular mapping contest, this time for Rising Storm,

Both are very explicit about it being for Rising storm.

Then the terms and conditions:
The contest is open to individual map makers and teams of level designers and environmental artists of all ages who create original maps for the retail PC game Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2,

Not everyone reads terms and conditions, generally how a competion works is conveyed in the press releases etc.. but theirs lacked clarity. In my country it is actually the law for the people holding the competion to make this clear in the their advertisements, it is seen as unreasonable to disclose it later in fine print, and grounds to challenge, especially when something is explicit in one and not the other.

Im not overly bothered by it, im more concerned that one of the map makers limited themselves to Rising storm only because of it. (i didnt read the terms and conditions until i saw myohka river, im not against it winning dont get me wrong, but you can see how it can happen)

In the future it my pay TWI to be more careful/clear if they hold a similar event.

Upvote 0
Congratulations Rekrut on creating two outstanding maps! Congratulations to all the other entrants too, a lot of great maps have come from this contest.

Thank you so much everyone for your wonderful support. I'd also like give a very special thank you to everyone at the Wild Bunch Clan, they played and integral part in creating Kobura and have helped in so many ways that I am deeply grateful for. Their role in the RO community has been invaluable, I hope to be playing with them for many more years to come.

Upvote 0
What's the deal with this? What decides if the winner will be an official map or not? Myshkova River won't be included into the game either?

It means that Tripwire is going to spread out the release of these maps over multiple map packs to take pressure off themselves to provide new content. They'll say it's because they have to test and bug check the maps though.

Upvote 0
I am hoping beyond hope that some of these other maps that didn't place (and others that came after the competition) will one day become official. Streets, Bataan, as well as Stream, Bibilo Hill, Zhukovka, all fantastic maps, and I hope that their future isn't doomed merely because they weren't entered into the competition (apart from Bataan and Streets).

Does TWI have any plans for these and other maps released in between competitions?

Upvote 0
It means that Tripwire is going to spread out the release of these maps over multiple map packs to take pressure off themselves to provide new content. They'll say it's because they have to test and bug check the maps though.

The reason they weren't all released at the same time last time was because not all the maps were at the same stages of quality. These contest winning maps will now have to be polished up by the mappers until they are ready to be officially added to the game.

Upvote 0
I am hoping beyond hope that some of these other maps that didn't place (and others that came after the competition) will one day become official. Streets, Bataan, as well as Stream, Bibilo Hill, Zhukovka, all fantastic maps, and I hope that their future isn't doomed merely because they weren't entered into the competition (apart from Bataan and Streets).

Does TWI have any plans for these and other maps released in between competitions?

Couldnt they be re-entered in the next contest?

Upvote 0

Wishes do sometimes come true;)

Upvote 0
In the future it my pay TWI to be more careful/clear if they hold a similar event.

With the first RO HOS contest in mind. TWI don't really need to be careful. They have a Relaxt/Realism apporach on rules and judging criteria. These are there as a contest needs them but they flexible and its a fact they can change and bend in a desirable direction on the fly. And nobody really bothers.

Keep in mind creating custom maps for this game changed me from an enthousiast young lad into an grumpy old basterd and as we speak I'm busy to become that enthousiast lad again.

Cheers and I wish all the best for you all in the future.

Upvote 0

The reason they weren't all released at the same time last time was because not all the maps were at the same stages of quality. These contest winning maps will now have to be polished up by the mappers until they are ready to be officially added to the game.

Lets be real here. I'm sure its a bit of both.

Upvote 0