• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Rising Storm $25,000 "Banzai" Community Mapping Contest Announced!

-- - - -- snip - - -- - -

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason the modders are taking so long to do tanks is because they are incredibly hard to do? Like, opening a MacDonald's on Mars level of difficulty? Did it occur to any of the people hijacking this and many other threads that putting vehicles in a game, when they account for 50% of the development effort and about 10% of the gameplay, to the detriment of other forms of development is not wise or desirable?

I doubt it did.
Ya know, I've gotten strong doses of sarcasm before but you are a master. The modders are also taking longer due to a lack of robust resources (Talent, Time & Money) Tanks?? How about JUST vehicles in general... You ignore the basic fact that vehicles and decent game play is what put TWI on the map! Its what brought many of us to Red Orchestra to begin with. Back when TWI was much smaller and apparently more ambitious, we saw excellent combined arms. When one forgets or forsakes one's roots, the winds of time soon take their toll. Let's get back to basics and remember that without user inputs.. where would any of us be? Vehicles were and are an integral part of WW2 no matter what theater we speak of.
To return to topic, the RS team will be engaging a great deal with the mappers submitting entries to this competition and we will be doing what we can to ensure that the winning candidates get a quick turnaround on being added to an official map-pack.
Yes, getting back on the topic at hand, a quick turn-over for the Rising Storm winning Custom Maps would be wonderful especially since will still await the remainder of the winning maps from the previous contest. Hinting at, we will only be able to get these winning maps from SWS is wrong... just plain wrong. Seems a similar "our way or the highway" attitude came to pass in another time and place (CoD) and many took to the highway. Face it, so far for many of us, SWS has been nothing but trouble. Please don't force us to deal solely with SWS.
Looking forward to seeing, serving and playing the new maps for RS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason the modders are taking so long to do tanks is because they are incredibly hard to do? Like, opening a MacDonald's on Mars level of difficulty? Did it occur to any of the people hijacking this and many other threads that putting vehicles in a game, when they account for 50% of the development effort and about 10% of the gameplay, to the detriment of other forms of development is not wise or desirable?

Perhaps TWI should simplify the tanks/vehicles to make it easier to make new ones. You could get rid of the superfluous interior animations (which are nice but unneeded given the amount of work required) and try to streamline every other of aspect of tank/vehicle development to speed the introduction of new vehicles. Perhaps an open conversation between the TWI devs and the modders about vehicle code streamlining would be helpful. The modders I have spoken with consistently point to the coding as the most difficult part of tank development. RO2 vehicles are WAY more complex than RO:Ost ones...perhaps too much so. Find a middle ground between RO2 and RO1 tanks and let the modders run with it. The demand is definitely there for new vehicles, like it or not.

In any case, I look forward to the maps that will result from this contest and I will follow it with interest. The RO2 mapping contest resulted in some awesome new content and this should too.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
Ya know, I've gotten strong doses of sarcasm before but you are a master. The modders are also taking longer due to a lack of robust resources (Talent, Time & Money) Tanks?? How about JUST vehicles in general... You ignore the basic fact that vehicles and decent game play is what put TWI on the map! Its what brought many of us to Red Orchestra to begin with. Back when TWI was much smaller and apparently more ambitious, we saw excellent combined arms. When one forgets or forsakes one's roots, the winds of time soon take their toll. Let's get back to basics and remember that without user inputs.. where would any of us be? Vehicles were and are an integral part of WW2 no matter what theater we speak of.

What on earth are you talking about?
No one is ignoring anything, least of all the producer of Rising Storm and I might add the very first person to make and release a custom map for RO1.
You ramble on about forgetting roots yet this very contest is a testament to the very essence of TWI's roots.
Engaging the community to enhance the game, how's is that for forgetting your roots?
Encouraging community mapping for a game that started as a mod and ended up as a retail game. Ring any bells?
Sorry but your just so far off base here...its laughable.

Yes, getting back on the topic at hand, a quick turn-over for the Rising Storm winning Custom Maps would be wonderful especially since will still await the remainder of the winning maps from the previous contest. Hinting at, we will only be able to get these winning maps from SWS is wrong... just plain wrong. Seems a similar "our way or the highway" attitude came to pass in another time and place (CoD) and many took to the highway. Face it, so far for many of us, SWS has been nothing but trouble. Please don't force us to deal solely with SWS.
Looking forward to seeing, serving and playing the new maps for RS.

"Hinting at, we will only be able to get these winning maps from SWS" really?
I read his post twice and no where did I see that?
I did see "added to an official map-pack" though:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A Couple of points- I think people need to stop beating their heads against the TWI tree and see the forest- and I am talking about both the community of users and TWI.

MaKhno- if you are from TWI, I would say that you need to be a whole lot more diplomatic in your abuse of users. Wow man you have spent way to many hours coding- and not enough time with flesh- your attitude is just not the way to build up a relationship that will be successful for anybody. Alienating the people that actually threw down most likely a hundred or more dollars on TWI video games is not what I would say is constructive. ( I own KF, RO, RO2 and RS and hearing you speak to users with that kind of disrespect is unsettling- and that is me being tame! Plus I bought similar for my son and not at summer steam sale prices either!)

To the user community- you have your gripes and complaints, however, it is not helping raise all boats by flooding a space where we are hoping people will come to get information about a very good contest that will help further all our collective interests. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water- especially since it is still alive.

One point that I will make- the UDK SDK is not an easy beast to work with- and it does take a whole lot of investment of HR time to develop much of what people feel has fallen short. However, given the price and the excellent product that RS has become and the value for ones money, I truly cannot see how you expect TWI to deliver such product- i.e. filled with all the vehicles and extras that everyone goes on about. (a light tank or LVT surely would have been nice, and I imagine at some point we will get something- community made or not)

Lastly- and most importantly- it is the building of this community that will grow RS/RO2 and also expand its ability to encapsulate the same and better functionality and entertainment as RO1. Not sure if the community or TWI noticed thos- but Rising Storm did not sell very well- in fact I am sure it is operating in the red right now- and badly in the red.

Nomad made a very good point- the monetization success of RO achieved what it did because it offered combined arms in a very small pool of more realism based gaming content infrastructure. I still think TWI has a unique market in this gaming segment, somewhere between the COD world and the ARMA world. Not arcade, but not fanatically over the top massive ARMA. The question is- will TWI make the margin calls in the next few quarters to stay around to be a leader in this market segment.

The contest will help increase the likelihood by hopefully turning out more maps and bringing into the fold more COD gamers, and more Arma gamers. They are out there, but something happened that prevented RS from selling the way I thought it would, and I will say the lack of combined arms could be the foxhole that we all get buried in. However, if we do not come together and turn this Munda Point like attack into a Bougainville success story, we will all be in the same PT boat off the point of Munda that JFK was in when his PT 109 was rammed.

So come on people lets build, not destroy. By the way- I will be entering a map into this contest, and if you work in a part time setting, with a small team of self trained enthusiasts, a decent map could be completed by November with plenty of time to spare. Obviously Rekrut pulled Phosphate off through a lot of sweat and passion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thank you for your post. However to correct you, Rising Storm has sold well (and continues to push along and gain great review scores!).

We are all in this together, to make a better game that people enjoy playing. The current Steam Summer Sale will likely introduce many brand new players to the franchise as well.

Upvote 0
Great news! Some good motivation for mappers to work out some fantastic new content.

I was thinking this as well... there were other maps from the previous contest that were said to be added into the game and they haven't yet.... and here they move onto another contest for RS maps without any mention of the previous maps being added in.

It was planned for them to be added into RO2 before RS was launched, as in the other contest maps would be added in a content pack, and the next big update to the game would be RS.... but RS came along first and then the other maps just seemed to have been forgotten about.

Now there's another contest but for RS Maps..... it seems that RO2 just keeps getting abandoned again and again. Splash screens, menus, game title, the general identity of the game switches to Rising Storm and since PC Gamer released a very skewed and baseless list of games they felt were "The Best of All Time" with no basis in reality and because RS got some slightly better reviews than RO2 did (Due to its buggy launch)..... it seems as though it's all about jumping the RO2 sinking ship and placing all bets onto RS, even though RO2 is more viable than RS.

Shifting gears halfway through.... yet again.

Good luck to the contest applicants, but I'm still waiting for the RO2 stuff.

Because they cant release the pack in the time-frame it takes mappers to make a quality map for the new contest, right? Ooooookkkkaaaayyy

Really???? Where? (links) I never saw a thing about that topic.... and I'm reading here every day.

Search? I recall seeing that info here and on Steam forums.

Upvote 0
Do you honestly think more vehicles are going to come at this point? Its been 2 years....

Stop beating this dead horse.

This goes to everyone.

I know you guys wanted RO2 to have SU76s, STUGIIIs, Panthers, Tigers, IS2's T-34/85s, Hanomags, Bren Carriers, etc.

I've sort of given up on the whole idea. I just don't think its going to happen. No need to waste any more breath on this. If it was going to happen, it would have happened already.

Is it worth getting "sick" about? I enjoy RO2 way more than I ever did RO1 and granted, it would be better with those vehicles, I never played RO for its vehicles anyway. Its a loss....but not a big one by any means.

I am happy they are addressing maps before vehicles. That takes greater priority by a LONG LONG LONG shot.

Again, the above is just my take on the relative unimportance of vehicles. If they are important to you, however, I think it might be time to move to a different game....clearly, it isn't going to happen here. I don't mean that in a malicious way- I'm just trying to be realistic here.

I never beat the horse, ive never really mentioned it before.

I only have been living in hope that they would add content, TWI maps, TWI vehicles, TWI skins, TWI weapons, TWI mortars.....anything really because so much has not been in RO2.

So when the Modder from darkest hour has his mod "purchased" by TWI and then developed into a fully fledged game, it sells well, they make money i assume, start a map making comp for that game as it is more popular at the moment.
Then, when they post a thread on it and expect people not to take a passing shot at why there still is no new content from TWI since release except for mamyev Kurgen, but are holding a mapping contest for there new game with $25,000 that could be used to develop some much needed content, that modder (now i consider practically a member of TWI staff) says basically:

Take your windging else where, tanks are not happening because they are too hard.

I am truelly starteled by that guys reaction...he practically works for TWI and has said "suck a lemon"

And as for Tanks being hard to build, im not sure how that is my fault?

I didnt realise it takes 2 years to build a tank, surely it didnt take them 2 years to build the T34 in the game? or was that the hold up?

I love the game, but to tell people with genuine complaints to suck a lemon from staff is disgusting, if i did that to my customers i wouldnt get a job.

Upvote 0
I would be keen to see some prize or reward for mutator developers. Some of the work coming out from these guys is truly amazing and very often unappreciated.

Would have thought getting the maps from the first map comp out and official before kicking off a new comp would have been a priority. However given the fluster cuck the first comp seemed to be, I guess its going to be 12 months or so before the RS comp maps see regular play.

Upvote 0
Btw. i sad that Custom Mode Maps arent allowed. Maybe next time.

"Implement all standard Red Orchestra 2 gameplay functionality (cover slots, map boundaries, spawn areas, objectives, ammo resupplies, etc) unless the map implements a custom gametype in code (in which case all gameplay functionality must be implemented to support that custom gametype)"

Upvote 0
Thank you for your post. However to correct you, Rising Storm has sold well (and continues to push along and gain great review scores!).

We are all in this together, to make a better game that people enjoy playing. The current Steam Summer Sale will likely introduce many brand new players to the franchise as well.

Yeah it will push in many players like all those sales the last 2 years but how many will actually stick to the game this time?

Upvote 0
Vehicles are important but for now iam fine with more awesome maps. Also, we dont know whats planned with part 2 of the RO2 mappack so yeah...time will tell.

I think you are wrong...look at bridges of druzina...

Label, you of all people should know pretty well what I mean. Not having halftracks limits mappers to create decent combined arms maps. Just think of Wolverine's remake of Arad. A nice tank map right now, but nowhere near as exciting as the CA version of RO 1.

With working halftracks, mappers could really start to work on maps where these would be included and design gameplay that utilizes the strengths of it. Just think of Berezhino (a?) from Drecks and others. If a mapper doesn't know if halftracks will ever make it into the game, well, then he'll probably design a map without keeping these in mind.

Upvote 0
Do you honestly think more vehicles are going to come at this point? Its been 2 years....

Stop beating this dead horse.

This goes to everyone.

I know you guys wanted RO2 to have SU76s, STUGIIIs, Panthers, Tigers, IS2's T-34/85s, Hanomags, Bren Carriers, etc.

I've sort of given up on the whole idea. I just don't think its going to happen. No need to waste any more breath on this. If it was going to happen, it would have happened already.

Is it worth getting "sick" about? I enjoy RO2 way more than I ever did RO1 and granted, it would be better with those vehicles, I never played RO for its vehicles anyway. Its a loss....but not a big one by any means.

I am happy they are addressing maps before vehicles. That takes greater priority by a LONG LONG LONG shot.

Again, the above is just my take on the relative unimportance of vehicles. If they are important to you, however, I think it might be time to move to a different game....clearly, it isn't going to happen here. I don't mean that in a malicious way- I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Honestly, I paid 35$ for the digital deluxe edition to support them; this means that I wanted to see the vehichles and apc's that they PROMISED, especially one apc per faction. I loved RO1 and let my friends buy it, to play togher, as I've done to RO2, and here we are.. Infantry gameplay and no content increase for RO2 after almost 2 years from the relase (don't tell me rising storm, a different game that I needed to pay, to play). This is not a dead horse, this smells like a total fail of marketing strategy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What an 'insult'. $25K worth of insulting behaviour, which is completely ignored, apparently, because some people have their panties in a bunch about tanks and seem to think that, although the last 2 years of petulant, accusing and often aggressive threads did not somehow make tanks magically appear, perhaps hijacking this thread, about a very positive development for people who like playing RS, might.

We're not referring to RS, which is a different and separated game (even not contents compatible, apart the common .exe, useful to let someone play RS expansion pack with at least 10 human players per server with 50 bots), we're talking about Red Orchestra 2. 25k $ to let someone else (talented/untalented/unexperienced modders) work instead of the TW developers ? It's cool, but obviously yo can't expect them to be capable of doing complex coding procedures, like for example the ones related to tanks.

Point taken, but it's not YOU that needs to make tanks ! It's not a modder. If a modder it's paid to make something that it's not capable to, with a contest, we're not blaming him, we're just asking why the developers haven't tried to integrate the old methodology, which it was working flawlessly in RO1/Darkest hour mod.

In all honesty, it's the first time that I hear that RS won't even get tanks.

Since now, I spent 45 bucks to have a Panzer IV and T-34, I'm one of thoose that played RO1 mainly for tank warfare, or combined arms. Have fun guys, but this is not the way to let the comunity enjoy this game. It's just half game, and this is why I said that this is shameful, because TW have got talented people, nice capabilities and a nice attitude to modders and comunity requests, but I fear that this engine could be a bit too complex to manage. Am I right or what ?

If it's so complicated, try to make easier things, to screw some features and add more generic content. I respect the works od the developers but please listen the playerbase.

ps: "suck a lemon"... I expect more respect from developers, to a forum user. Be polite and calm down

Last edited:
Upvote 0