• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm preview on PC Gamer

As some people may be aware, we had Evan Lahti from PC Gamer out here at the office a few weeks back to get his hands on Rising Storm, the upcoming follow-on to Red Orchestra 2. The first results of that hands on just got published on the PC Gamer website - so CLICK HERE to read it. There will be a print article to follow, with more information, so be sure to look out for that as well.

The Americans can fake the sound by pressing a key, a tactic that was actually employed in WWII.

I honestly doubt that it was really a tactic more than a few times in very rare situations.

1. How would a soldier actually fake that sound?
2. I dont think outside of old stories from old world war 2 veterans a enemy soldier will really fall for hearing one person reloading his gun and charge into the enemy just because of that.

Upvote 0
I honestly doubt that it was really a tactic more than a few times in very rare situations.

1. How would a soldier actually fake that sound?
2. I dont think outside of old stories from old world war 2 veterans a enemy soldier will really fall for hearing one person reloading his gun and charge into the enemy just because of that.

1) Slamming a mag against helmet or ground.

Upvote 0
Which would sound kinda different, does not elimiate issue 2 and I totally forgot problem 3. It is not actually that loud, so would you really (really?!) hear it in a battle and react to it?

I actually tested this in the office the other day, and they sound pretty similar actually, although not exactly alike. In the heat of battle I figure it might trick a soldier. And it is well documented that this was a tactic used during the war.

Upvote 0
Found no real evidence beside: What my grandpa told me from the war. :)

I mean consider all the stuff that needs to be done to fake it.

You would need a empty clip, and a hard surface to throw or hit it against. Beside that it must be silent enough that somebody could hear it over whatever is causing noise at the moment (guns, people). Also it is not exactly so loud that you could hear it unless somebody is extremly close. Even if all these factors are there, you still need somebody who is going to fallfor it on the other side.

I am not saying this never happened but I really doubt it should be considered a "tactic" that was used by more than a (very) few people. Also not saying it should not be in the game because it could be a nice little gimmick/easteregg.

Upvote 0
Found no real evidence beside: What my grandpa told me from the war. :)

I mean consider all the stuff that needs to be done to fake it.

You would need a empty clip, and a hard surface to throw or hit it against. Beside that it must be silent enough that somebody could hear it over whatever is causing noise at the moment (guns, people). Also it is not exactly so loud that you could hear it unless somebody is extremly close. Even if all these factors are there, you still need somebody who is going to fallfor it on the other side.

I am not saying this never happened but I really doubt it should be considered a "tactic" that was used by more than a (very) few people. Also not saying it should not be in the game because it could be a nice little gimmick/easteregg.

Empty clip: Plenty of those lying around during combat back then, and having one in your pocket would not hinder you in any way.
Hard surface: Rocks, Helmets, shovels, canteens, your weapon.
A loud *PING* would actually stand out quite alot from the other sounds of a firefight, but you have to remember that they would TIME the trickery, so that the japanese soldiers would think that not just one, but most of or all of the american soldiers were reloading. So it would not just be one soldier throwing an empty clip, there would be lots of them around the same time.
US-Squad pings.
JapSquad hear it, and charge.
JapSquad gets shredded by rifle-fire from prepared troops.

ps: I've often timed a bayocharge against a spray-and-pray enemy in CQC by listening to the sound of a reload.

Upvote 0
You would be surprised how hard it is to find a specific item on a battlefield. Also would you waste time searching for it? Check how loud the ping actually is. Find something that makes a similar sound and bounce if off whatever you like. A person in the next room or close to you will barely hear it. Now be aware that there are most likely a lot of other and louder noises around you.

AI repeat myself but I doubt japanese soldiers would actually fall for it unless the soldiers is really sure it is a 1on1 situation.

I put the entire fake ping tactic in the category that I call.

Stories that Grandpa tells little Johnny about the war, where he defeated the japanese empire by faking the ping sound and made entire squads run into the mg of his best pal Billy.

Upvote 0