• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm preview on PC Gamer

Thankfully the asymmetry is still there and not all weapons will be available... However, I have a feeling once all the high level commanders on the Japanese side unlock the Thompson, that's all they'll be using which is just....disappointing :(

Spawning with enemy weapons in RO2 is historically accurate and is something I've never been against. In fact, I like it. But did the Japanese really run around with Thompsons and BARS?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really hope server admins will shut this off, if not, go ask them to, take it to a vote etc. I just wish this was reversed, so enemy weapon unlocks are off by default, and the people who actually want enemy weapon unlocks can turn them on instead of us having to find a server without them or ask server admins to turn them off.

This. There is the choice to turn it off and hopefully server admins do.

Choice for this is good, I (like nearly all the others) only question it being ON by default instead of OFF.

Upvote 0
Rancenstein where have you found your signature picture? I was searching for it everywhere.

Got it from the bundesarchiv

http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/archives/barchpic/search/_1363945323/?search

[...] If the majority of the playing community (not just people voting on polls in forums) wanted the game to be really hardcore and by the book realistic, you'd have most of the full servers running classic mode or realism mode with classic weapon loadouts.

I compeltley understand you and think it is a good to have choices, but I think we are not at a point with 2 factions like the realism and classic crowd with totally different opinions on this topic but it seems that the majority of the people here would prefer to have the enemy weapon loadout deactivated by default (not removed) and you have to remember that those sides would jump at each other for nothing

I just know that I wont play Rising Storm for too long when there is no active and populated server without enemy loadouts, its just a way to big immersion breaker for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Regarding the realism aspect, I get what you guys are saying I really do. But as I mentioned before we bend the rules when they make sense for gameplay. One thing I think a lot of you miss, is that players go to servers where they have the most fun, and server admins set up their servers with what options they think will keep their servers full. It's a self regulating system. If the majority of the playing community (not just people voting on polls in forums) wanted the game to be really hardcore and by the book realistic, you'd have most of the full servers running classic mode or realism mode with classic weapon loadouts.

As it stands, the community struggles to keep a classic mode server full, has a couple of realism mode with classic weapon loadouts, and the vast majority of servers are standard realism mode. And I don't believe they run stock realism because they can't figure out how to change the options on their server. These server admins are smart guys. They figure out how to set up the list of maps they want to run, they can easily change one option in web admin and turn on "Classic Mode Weapon Loadouts" to get exactly what you are talking about.

At the core here for me is that some people want to force the community to play their vision of how a realism game should play for their own enjoyment, even if those other people aren't having as much fun as a result. That just isn't fair to the community of players that are enjoying the game as released.

Now I'm fully committed to all elements of the community, ranging from the action guys all the way up to the most hardcore of the hardcore. I want to give you the options to play the game the way YOU want, and make it as easy as possible for server admins to set that up, and for you to find them. We're looking at some things we can do for game set up, and in the server browser to make it easier to find the game set ups you want.

I know I'm going to get a lot of grief for this post, but I would suggest rather than making 50 more posts telling me how wrong I am, prove yourself right on the battlefield. Go get all your hardcore realism buddies and fill up the Classic mode servers, or the servers running Realism mode with classic weapon loadouts (I think Mike Nomad runs a server like that). Show me that there IS a big community of hardcore players by filling up those types of servers because full servers speak louder than words.

Overall a fairly decent post, but with some flaws. See below...

To be fair, though, a server browser that allows people to tell what settings are being used by each custom and realism server would go a long way towards making the whole thing less of a guessing game. Altering the loading screen description for Classic Mode and making it sound like something positive and fun as opposed to a game mode where "some functionality is disabled" would also level the playing field somewhat.

In a way, the fact that everyone plays Realism may somewhat reflect that people do want the most realistic experience possible. Some players out there have probably never tried anything else--they set their server browser to what they assumed to be the most realistic mode, and left it at that, not knowing any better and not knowing what the other options were. People probably don't even know that there are alternative server settings with realistic loadouts--how can they ask for them from server admins if they don't know they exist?

I might suggest putting something like this into server descriptions:
Server Settings: Custom
Weapon handling: Realism or Hardcore
Team Weapon Loadouts: Standard or Historical
Movement: Realism or Classic

I have a friend who recently bought the game and quite understandably had literally no idea what the difference between modes was for weeks before I explained it to him in detail--the game hardly makes the process of natural selection smooth. Heck, I'm sure not even Evan Lahti has a good idea what Classic Mode is. ;)

Level the playing field, make it clear what mode is what mode and what server settings are available, and if we still have trouble filling hardcore servers, then I'll agree with you that when given the choice, people find your definition of Realism more fun.

Let us assume for a moment that the game's main mode when released looked something like Realism with Classic Weapon handling. Then you know that most people would be playing that mode even if you introduced another mode. Most people here would agree with that, and even you John would be hard pressed to disagree whether you liked it or not.

Some other points to consider (as Nikita notes) is that the menu states that Realism is the Hardcore mode and Classic's description sounds as if its the duller mode and you can't do as much. If I was a new and unknowing player, of course I would jump into the Realism server knowing that. Also, the same can be said for custom servers, unless you've played them before, you have no clue what is going on with those.

----------------

I'm sure Rising Storm will be pretty decent, and it is good that we will have those choices for admins to set up their servers the way they want, but what we are questioning is the default choices (ex: enemy weapon loadout being ON). By doing that it practically guarantees that it will be the more popular mode. You could just as easily set them to OFF by default and then OFF would be the more popular mode and you would have less people complaining about it on the forums, see??? The rest of the players out there would just pick them up off the ground as normal and carry on...

Anyway, it really is just a (damn good) suggestion. We know you are going to make the default settings the way you want them; it is your game afterall.

Upvote 0
There is no wonder almost nobody plays Classic Mode.

If I speak for myself, I barely play the game and when I do I only play Classic Mode. RO2 = Classic Mode for me. There is a few things that affect Classic mode in a negative manner.

1. As with Action Mode, Classic Mode does not appeal to it's audience no matter if that is ''RO OST IN HD'' or ''Spiritual sequel to RO OST''.

2. The progression system. Any mode that doesn't have the progression system will suffer, simply because it's is already there. If there was no progression system then people wouldn't have to worry about 'wasting' their time in Classic Mode, or any custom servers.

3. The name. People who buy Red Orchestra are looking for something out of the ordinary FPS experience. Those who don't are likely to leave or keep on playing Realism Mode. It seems plausible that most people will choose a mode called 'Realism Mode' over 'Classic Mode' or 'Action Mode'. Those who don't will be receive ''Be aware! You're joining Classic Mode!''

If Classic Mode was called Realism Mode, and if there was no unlock system, then the so called Classic would be the standard mode. Not only that, but if this potentiall mode had all features from RO OST (enter/exit function for vehicles & doors, old command system, bikes, more tanks, halftracks, less streamlined map design, etc.) and removed horrible features in RO2 such as restricted zones to avoid flanking maneuvers, enemy loadout, cheats, (perks) then I am certain that the game would be better off and so most of its players.

If Rising Storm is more or less the same as RO2 then it is likely that the game will go down the same path as RO2, e.i a crazy amount of MP players that fades out by time. Personally I don't care. The game is already almost dead for me because the game IS Classic Mode for me, and one would just need to take a look at it to understand that almost no one plays it.

I won't buy Rising Storm only for Classic Mode especially not since I wont even know for how long it will be populated. Considering the fact that there wont be any focus to improve (Classic) - I care less. Besides, I don't feel that I am done fighting in Stalingrad just yet. The fight have not even begun. There is so much more to RO2 that I don't feel encouranged to leave the current battlefield.

Regarding Rising Storm I really couldn't care that much. It is Tripwire's game and they call the shots. If they want to be fully committed to please exactly all elements in the community ranging from action guys to the ro ost vets, that is their decision, even though I personally think that it is an incredibly stupid gamble that have been proven to dissolve communities and eventually caused franchises to be canned various times before. TWI already know what the Community think because it have been repeated to death the past two years so there is no need for a further debate (at least not in this thread) and there wont be any drastic fundamental changes in RS just because people participating in this thread wish so.

So really, why take this debate any further? You're all most likely talking to deaf ears atm.

Vote with the amount of hours you play. Vote with your wallets. Vote with mods. Never compromise the OST no matter what the consequences is.

We will sooner or later see if TWI's conduct is in accordance with the will of the theory regarding natural selection. Now, let's not continue this discussion - for once.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Cyper

sad-i-know-that-feel-bro_3969556_lrg.jpg

here are My improvements for Classic mode
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=88344[/URL]

Upvote 0
I know I'm going to get a lot of grief for this post, but I would suggest rather than making 50 more posts telling me how wrong I am, prove yourself right on the battlefield. Go get all your hardcore realism buddies and fill up the Classic mode servers, or the servers running Realism mode with classic weapon loadouts (I think Mike Nomad runs a server like that). Show me that there IS a big community of hardcore players by filling up those types of servers because full servers speak louder than words.
Ever thought that there might be players who don't like any of the ranked settings? You do know that it's absolutely impossible to fill up a non-ranked server on a regular basis?

We're looking at some things we can do for game set up, and in the server browser to make it easier to find the game set ups you want.
That's good, but so far you only had to do one single, simple thing to show that you want people to play the game the way they want. To join the "ranked" and "unranked" browser tabs. In fact, nothing has been done.

Upvote 0
... and what others have said.

This. It should be off by default. Its fine having the choice as TWI has always stated, but seriously you have to question why its not off by default with the choice of server admins to turn it on? It really is little things like this added up with others that make you/us question decisions. When you actually think about it, can you see why some players say you are trying to make the game appear more COD-like?*

*as I have said, I don't think ROHOS plays anything like COD, but little features here and there like this are more likely to annoy your base players and appear to be a play to cater to the COD type crowd

and

the same problem is with the native voice overs...you rarely hear them on youtube...its only english with an fake russian/german accent:(

i think native voice overs should be ON by default,and fake english voice overs optional.
just like mr.Moe said "It really is little things"

+1 I really wish these (selectable enemy weapons and fake voices)were off by default both in RS and in RO2. I have been enthusiatically supporting RO2 since its release over on the simhq forums (<a href="http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3518487/Red_Orchestra_II_News_Thread_v#Post3518487" target="_blank">http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3518487/Red_Orchestra_II_News_Thread_v#Post3518487) but when someone complains about this I have no response for them other than agreement that the prevalence of servers with these enabled (probably because they are the default) is really ANNOYING (I am hero level in many of the classes and I never pick the enemy weapons out of priniciple). The features are useful every once in a while, but for F#$%-sakes have them OFF by default. Make this part of Rising Storm's release and have these revised defaults retro-fitted to Red Orchestra II. You'll get SO much awesome PR from me in my thread and from other users out there who have been wanting this for so long.

Cheers from a long-time fan,

Fafnir_6

P.S. I'm OK with unlocks other than enemy weapons

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a server admin for one of those Realism servers. I'll say this, I would love it if realism came without the enemy weapons unlocks as standard. Simply, because, through being able to choose an enemy weapon, you lose that feeling you get from killing an enemy and stealing their gun. That feeling you'll no doubt have felt Ramm when you stole a katana. Let action keep weapon picks. Realism imo doesn't really need it.

To your point on changing server settings if we didn't like something. Well, up to this point we've not touched it for fear of what would happen if our server changed from realism to custom in the browser. Not from what would happen if Russians couldn't pick the mkb. Trying to get people onto our forums to express their views on anything is near mission impossible. That's why we haven't tested what the effects of changing to custom would bring. I feel though that if realism on Ro2 changed to no enemy weapons unlocks; few people would complain. I for one wouldn't. Few complained when we changed from all death texts displayed to your kills/deaths only.

Why not try RS from the start having no weapon unlocks? Would it hurt? If there was an out cry about it when people found out that they can't pick enemy weapons, would it take much to change realism back, so that that function was once again set to being the standard for realism servers?

For me though, to address the concerns that people are expressing here, it doesn't seem that much of a big thing to give to the community to try to get (some of)them back on board. A little love goes a long way:D.

Furthermore, If you wish to gauge what the reaction to this game would be if enemy weapons unlock were disabled on one of the realism servers. We currently have the no1 populated RO2 server. We can turn off that setting, and we can all see what the views of the people on the server are when it happens. Let me know Ramm if you're interested in trying this, and I'll change the server settings for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think they've made their minds up about the weapon interchangeability, History does repeat itself :).

I'd like to ask, will Rising Storm have the online campaign mode straight out the gate? I played a few rounds earlier on a server and some of the, what i've thought to be, questionable design decisions seem to make more sense in that mode. So it'll be another kick in the arse if RS doesn't have it off the bat.

Upvote 0